Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-30-2023, 09:54 PM   #211
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
suicide is important to discuss. it’s laughable to lump it in with murder.
You find suicide funny, you’re sicker than I thought
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-31-2023, 05:55 AM   #212
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
You find suicide funny, you’re sicker than I thought
i said “suicide is important”. what i said was funny, is that liberals would lump suicides in with murders, to bolster their anti gun push.

Sorry that went over your head and that you couldn’t differentiate between two very different things.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:29 AM   #213
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
i said “suicide is important”. what i said was funny, is that liberals would lump suicides in with murders, to bolster their anti gun push.

Sorry that went over your head and that you couldn’t differentiate between two very different things.
So suicide is acceptable

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-31-2023, 06:54 AM   #214
Jim in CT

Quote:
So suicide is acceptable
(1) Nooooo. Can you please tell us how in Gods name you read what I wrote, and concluded that I said suicide is acceptable? That's quite a leap.

(2) generally speaking, liberals are way more OK with suicide and assisted suicide, than conservatives. Are you saying liberals are wrong that issue? That suicide is bad and not to be accepted? Sounds like that's what you are saying.

(3) what I said, is that suicide and murder are 2 very different things. They are both tragic to me as a catholic, but they are obviously very different.

You are humiliating yourself. Were you the kid in middle school who ate bugs so that other kids would notice you? Sorry for that.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:56 AM   #215
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Gun Death Rate and Gun Murder Rate are two different things.

https://www.criminalattorneycincinna...ides-by-state/

2 very different things. There you go again, injecting common sense and logic into a good liberal, foaming-at-the-mouth, howling-at-the-moon, rant.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:34 AM   #216
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
(1) Nooooo. Can you please tell us how in Gods name you read what I wrote, and concluded that I said suicide is acceptable? That's quite a leap.

(2) generally speaking, liberals are way more OK with suicide and assisted suicide, than conservatives. Are you saying liberals are wrong that issue? That suicide is bad and not to be accepted? Sounds like that's what you are saying.

(3) what I said, is that suicide and murder are 2 very different things. They are both tragic to me as a catholic, but they are obviously very different.

You are humiliating yourself. Were you the kid in middle school who ate bugs so that other kids would notice you? Sorry for that.
Since you’re so concerned about life.

In the United States, suicides outnumber homicides almost two to one. Perhaps the real tragedy behind suicide deaths—about 30,000 a year, one for every 45 attempts—is that so many could be prevented. Research shows that whether attempters live or die depends in large part on the ready availability of highly lethal means, especially firearms.

How’s your goat?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-31-2023, 08:53 AM   #217
Jim in CT

Quote:
Since you’re so concerned about life.

In the United States, suicides outnumber homicides almost two to one.
Which is exactly why you need to exclude suicides when you're making a case about the danger guns cause to innocent victims. Including them, meaningfully distorts the data.

Thank you for proving my point.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:43 AM   #218
wdmso

Quote:
Which is exactly why you need to exclude suicides when you're making a case about the danger guns cause to innocent victims. Including them, meaningfully distorts the data.

Jim you have no point you didn’t read past Fox’s headline they were comparing

Fox News Digital compiled FBI data from 2019 detailing murders and gun murders per 100,000 population. The data show that many states with higher percentages of gun ownership had lower or similar murder and gun murder rates to states with strict gun control

None of your 2 sources came close to a separations that shows gun murder rates compared to other murders by state. Or by numbers.

You misrepresented the whole article it wasn’t just gun murders as you claimed

Yep once again moving the goal post. Now gun death and murder by gun is some how different … even you links disprove you claim

Jim you said the pope said war wasn’t murder but the Bible states suicide is murder .

So if with The state with the highest per capita gun death rate in 2020 was Mississippi, followed by Wyoming, You want to run with the Fox News and conservatives conflating murder and Gun murder to defend gun ownership and guns aren’t to blame.

But of course using yours and dads and Fox News logic
The child who shot the teacher if she had died fallen in the gun death rate not murder Guns kill more U.S. kids than cancer. 8-year-old accidentally shot, killed by sibling who was playing with gun,

But that falls under gun deaths not murder…. More twisted logic is acceptable for the conservatives and the 2a and Fox. to admit guns are the problem in American culture

Here’s an example of Conservatives fixing the Gun Culture in Florida

TALLAHASSEE — Calling the right to bear arms “central to our freedom,” House Speaker Paul Renner on Monday unveiled a bill removing Florida requirements for a permit and training to carry concealed guns, an idea endorsed by Gov. Ron DeSantis.

Another campaign ad for 2024

In 2021, Arizona, Iowa, Montana, Tennessee, Texas and Utah enacted laws allowing permitless carry, and, last year, Alabama, Georgia, Indiana and Ohio did, too.

Each state listed rate extremely high to high. in Gun deaths that Firearm deaths include all deaths involving guns, such as homicide, suicide, and accidents.

Funny I have my license to carry in Liberal Massachusetts Iam not against gun ownership just stupid gun ownership like the states listed above.. Hell guns now almost kill more people than cars but we haven’t stopped driving schools learners permits a driving test insurance and licenses

But with guns. the NRA Rewrote the Second Amendment

Many are startled to learn that the U.S. Supreme Court didn’t rule that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual’s right to own a gun until 2008. The Second Amendment is, without doubt, among the best efforts at melding constitutional history and constitutional law on any topic — at least since the modern revival of originalism..
Old 01-31-2023, 12:37 PM   #219
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

So you’re in favor of ignoring suicides by not imposing waiting periods for firearms purchases.
It’s all part of saving lives by gun control.
And certainly the low hanging fruit.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-31-2023, 01:37 PM   #220
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Jim you have no point you didn’t read past Fox’s headline they were comparing

Fox News Digital compiled FBI data from 2019 detailing murders and gun murders per 100,000 population. The data show that many states with higher percentages of gun ownership had lower or similar murder and gun murder rates to states with strict gun control

None of your 2 sources came close to a separations that shows gun murder rates compared to other murders by state. Or by numbers.

You misrepresented the whole article it wasn’t just gun murders as you claimed

both sources showed that the rate of gun murders in Wyoming is below the national average, despite gun ownership being high there.

Either you can't grasp it, of you don't want to grasp it, but that's what it shows.

You have to exclude suicides. I'm assuming your data doesn't do that. I posted two different sources that showed that gun murder rates in Wyoming are below the national average.

I think accidents should be included. Not suicides.

If the biggest issue were guns, WY would have a re-enactment of the OK corral every day. They don't. The guns aren't making anybody do anything.

Look I think there's a very unhealthy amount of guns out there, I think it's a big part of the problem. But it's nowhere near as big a contributor as our willingness to hurt each other. That's basic common sense. We also have constitutional limitations, at least if you care about the republic. I don't want the current party in charge, no matter who it is, being able to decide what they think the constitution means. It is what it says it is, and if we don't like it, we can change it, there's a mechanism to do that.