Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-06-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
FishermanTim

Mass madness, where will it end?

Let's see, the attempt to abolish the state tax was lost over fears that it would cause the state to have to cut vital services and raise property taxes. (Remember ballot question #1?)
Hey, guess what? They're cutting vital services and raising property taxes, and add in toll increases for all toll INSIDE the rte 128 belt, and you've got one hell of a state government working for you!

Although this is heresay at the moment, but I believe the state is trying to attach a tax for internet sales with companies OUTSIDE of Massachusetts.

So you will, in effect, be taxed twice for the same purchase.
Once by the seller, and again by the state because you "bought from out-of-state".

Please tell me where this insanity will end?
Wasn't it bad enough WILLINGLY overpaying for the crappy work done on the Big Dig? Now they hand the same dirtbag company that built the collapsing tunnel another 30 million job to build what will surely be a "collapsable" garage at LOGAN.

We need to change the state name from Massachusetts to "Ass"achusetts, since that's who appears to be running it now.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Although this is heresay at the moment, but I believe the state is trying to attach a tax for internet sales with companies OUTSIDE of Massachusetts.
Not Heresay...saw it on the news this morning

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Yeah! We need to be taxed 47 more different ways!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
fishbones

I got my RE tax bill the other day and somehow my property tax went up. The tax rate is the same, but the value of my house increased over the last year? That's pretty messed up considering I couldn't even sell it now for what I have into it.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:

Once by the seller, and again by the state because you "bought from out-of-state".
You don't get taxed when you buy something from out of state.
Smoke less, think more.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:

I've spent thousands of dollars on online sales with websites outside of whatever state I happened to be living in, and I've never paid a dime of sales tax. What kind of online retailer is going to try to keep up with collecting and submitting sales tax to the 40-odd states that have a sales tax?

Now, Massachusetts could try to collect sales tax on the millions of online purchases made every year by hundreds of thousands of Massachusetts residents. The operative word there is "try". The bottom line is that they'd only succeed on items that you would somehow have to regisiter.

My property taxes went down because we were re-assessed with view towards the current RE market. My assessment went from $325,000 to $289,000. If your town raised assessments, then I would suggest that you should pursue whatever appeal you may have.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
fishbones

I think I'm going to challenge the assessment, Mike. The only reason I could think that the value of my house has gone up is because they put in a small new neighborhood with very expensive homes off of my street in the past year. Maybe it raised the value of my house? All I know is that I probably couldn't even sell my house for it's assessed value in this market. I few years ago I would have got well over $100K more than the assessed value if I sold it.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
I've spent thousands of dollars on online sales with websites outside of whatever state I happened to be living in, and I've never paid a dime of sales tax. What kind of online retailer is going to try to keep up with collecting and submitting sales tax to the 40-odd states that have a sales tax?

Now, Massachusetts could try to collect sales tax on the millions of online purchases made every year by hundreds of thousands of Massachusetts residents. The operative word there is "try". The bottom line is that they'd only succeed on items that you would somehow have to regisiter.

Thats incorrect Mike, many retailers charge tax on internet purchases. Some sites charge tax on local purchases. It can be done, but it would be hard to do 100%.
As far as waht retailer will be able to do that with 40+ states? Think Paypal. They provide credit card processing for thousands of retailers. Another company will seize the tax reporting/paying process and charge retailers .20 per transaction.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #9
Bigcat

The only time you pay tax on internet sales is if the vendor you do business with had a location in MA.

Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
Old 01-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
EarnedStripes44

hear about the pay raise for the legislature.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #11
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat View Post
The only time you pay tax on internet sales is if the vendor you do business with had a location in MA.
Like REI

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 01-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
basswipe

Make an online purchase from a bigbox store like Wallyworld or Bestbuy and you damn well will have your state sales tax added to the final price.This has nothing to do with whether that retailer has a store in your state,it has everything to with complying to the tax laws of that state.

And as more and more states are requiring you to pay sales tax on out of state internet purchases many retailers are being pro-active and adding the state sales tax to the checkout.This of course only applies to states that have a sales tax.

RI has required sales tax on all out of state online purchases for years as do most states with a sales tax.Enforcing is another story altogether,but people here in RI have been arrested for this.

Last edited by basswipe; 01-10-2009 at 03:28 PM..
Old 01-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #13
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
Make an online purchase from a bigbox store like Wallyworld or Bestbuy and you damn well will have your state sales tax added to the final price.This has nothing to do with whether that retailer has a store in your state,it has everything to with complying to the tax laws of that state.
MA state law requires a brick & mortar store for the retailer to have to charge sales tax.
Sorry your state sucks.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 01-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
MA state law requires a brick & mortar store for the retailer to have to charge sales tax.
Sorry your state sucks.
Yup it does,but I'd still much rather live in RI.

MA won't be far behind in its tax reforms,don't forget who you're guvna is and that he's a spender.Barney Frank and Tedward are entrenched and those two yahoos love spending money that ain't theirs on really lame crap.

And with people like Dianna Wilkerson and the like,Mass ain't no paradise.Ya'll are fast approaching and possibly surpassing RI and IL as one of the most corrupt states.

Taxes and lots of them are on the horizon for MA.Enjoy you're very temporary no tax on int. sales.

It will be Taxachussetts very soon.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #15
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Taxes and lots of them are on the horizon for MA.Enjoy you're very temporary no tax on int. sales.
yaaaaaaawn

Quote:
It will be Taxachussetts very soon.
I'm pretty sure its always been nicknamed taxachussetts, but what would you know, you're from our butthole.

Shouldn't you be a bit more worried about your own state economy?

Goetz boat building is out of business.
Who knows whats going on at TPI.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 01-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #16
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

We need another tea party
Old 01-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #17
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD GOAT View Post
We need another tea party
Don't you mean Tea Partay?

Spence, I've never met you but for some reason I think of you when I watch this video.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #18
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
yaaaaaaawn

I'm pretty sure its always been nicknamed taxachussetts, but what would you know, you're from our butthole.

Shouldn't you be a bit more worried about your own state economy?

Goetz boat building is out of business.
Who knows whats going on at TPI.
If I'm the butthole than you are definitely the toilet paper.My only response to such lameness is "wipe me".How typical not to quote my refs to Barney,Ted and Deval.You quote only what you blindy see.Everything Mass does affects what happens in RI,except a good wiping when all is said and done.

Its time to clean house everywhere.

And please stop with the sailing refs.Don't forget who I work for.You do this way to much.

Last edited by basswipe; 01-13-2009 at 07:47 PM..
Old 01-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #19
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Don't forget who I work for.You do this way to much.
Nope, you've never told me who you work for.
But I have a feeling you're sweating.

Ski Quicks Hole