Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-27-2018, 01:44 PM   #31
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"They made a business decision with the hopes that it would wake him up, I'm sure there were a number of factors involved"

How do you know that Trump had anything to do, with their decision to discontinue production of certain vehicles? Has that been published? Because what I read, is that they cut production of vehicles that weren't selling. I didn't see Trump mentioned. Are you on the Board of Directors?

The tariffs have a big downside, they could turn out to be a disaster (we don't know yet). What I've asked you several times, is how the tariffs are responsible for GM's announcement. And you refuse to answer. Again.
Which ones did they kill?
Not Silverados, they cut the weakest part of their market, the cars most likely to be bought by consumers who can least afford an increase.

From that article: The “hardest hit” cars, General Motors said in comments submitted to the Commerce Department, are likely to be the ones bought by consumers who can least afford an increase. Demand would suffer and production would slow, all of which “could lead to a smaller G.M.”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Which ones did they kill?
Not Silverados, they cut the weakest part of their market, the cars most likely to be bought by consumers who can least afford an increase.

From that article: The “hardest hit” cars, General Motors said in comments submitted to the Commerce Department, are likely to be the ones bought by consumers who can least afford an increase. Demand would suffer and production would slow, all of which “could lead to a smaller G.M.”
they cut the cars that aren’t selling. if you have evidence that the reason they aren’t selling, is Trumps tariffs, how come you won’t share it?? Where is the evidence that the Impala isnt selling, because the tariffs made it too expensive? they also cut the Chevy Volt. Are poor people
buying the Volt? I doubt that very much.

You’re making it up.

The article was what “could”
happen, not what did happen.

they also cut the cadillac CT6 andnthe cadillac XTS. are these cars that poor people are buying?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #33
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
they cut the cars that aren’t selling. if you have evidence that the reason they aren’t selling, is Trumps tariffs, how come you won’t share it?? Where is the evidence that the Impala isnt selling, because the tariffs made it too expensive? they also cut the Chevy Volt. Are poor people
buying the Volt? I doubt that very much.

You’re making it up.

The article was what “could”
happen, not what did happen.

they also cut the cadillac CT6 andnthe cadillac XTS. are these cars that poor people are buying?
What kind of "evidence" do you need
Do you think "poor" people are the bottom of their market?
Poor people don't buy cars, middle class people do and as car prices go up they price them out of the new car market.
Are you telling me the Volt, Cruze and Impala are high end cars?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #34
detbuch

Quote:
Poor people don't buy cars, middle class people do and as car prices go up they price them out of the new car market.
The Silverado is a popular high selling middle class auto which is not being discontinued. The volt is not popular and Cadillacs straddle upper middle to "high end" status. And Cadillacs are not being discontinued, only two models are. It's mostly the lower end less selling models being cut.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:41 PM   #35
Jim in CT

Quote:
average household income of Chevy Volt buyers: $175,000.

https://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/04/...ealthy-buyers/
Old 11-27-2018, 03:58 PM   #36
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post

It's mostly the lower end less selling models being cut.
this makes no sense!!!!! car cuts for the rich!!
Old 11-27-2018, 04:13 PM   #37
scottw

Quote:
Volt starts at 33k Premier 38K

2019 Chevrolet Spark Starting At $13,220

Chevy Camaro $25,900
Old 11-27-2018, 06:35 PM   #38
redlite

Chevy/ gmc still best, longest lasting, dependable truck out there ( though they do still have their usual inherent problems such as body rot)
Their cars suck.
But truck new prices are rediculous
Old 11-28-2018, 05:56 AM   #39
scottw

Quote:
average household income of Chevy Volt buyers: $175,000.

https://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/04/...ealthy-buyers/
GM is disenfranchising poor car buyers!
Old 11-28-2018, 09:20 AM   #40
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
this makes no sense!!!!! car cuts for the rich!!
as i showed, average household income for Volt buyers is 175k, and the democrats passed. $7,000 tax credit for buying these cars ( i believe obama passed this credit?). who says democrats are opposed to tax cuts for the rich?
Old 11-28-2018, 09:24 AM   #41
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
Chevy/ gmc still best, longest lasting, dependable truck out there ( though they do still have their usual inherent problems such as body rot)
Their cars suck.
But truck new prices are rediculous
we bought a new camper trailer last year, requiring me to get a new pickup. Both the trailer and the truck ( F150) are entry level, no frills versions. And i mean NO FRILLS. The truck was $17,000 more expensive than the camper, which i could happily live in. I was absolutely stunned at the price of the pickup, stunned.

but i needed the largest cab ( three kids back there), and i wanted 4WD for our winters, and when you insist on those two things, 40k is the absolute minimum. I was shocked.