Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Saltwater Fly Fishing!

Saltwater Fly Fishing! New at Striped-Bass.Com, Saltwater Fly Fishing in the North East

Old 12-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
CaptMike

Fly fishing from a WA

Hey,

I have a 22 foot walk around and I'm in the market for a new boat. About half of my fishing is with a fly rod so I want to get a center console but there are so many deals around on Wa's that's I'm considering another. Does anyone else do a lot of fly fishing from a walk around and if so do you have any tips about making it more fly - friendly? I typically fish out of the bow if there are other people on the and just fish out of the cockpit if I'm by myself. Has anyone put one of those aluminum leaning posts in the bow to make it easier? Thanks!
CaptMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
BillM

I'm not a boat guy but there are a lot of cool setups out there depending on the boat. I think the platform over the outboard is the coolest.

still by the firelight
and purple moonlight
I hear the rusted river's call
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
CaptMike

I was looking at a 23 jones bros which often have the poling or sighting platform over the engine but I couldn't find a used one which seems to be where are the deals are right now.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
BillM

There are bound to be some awsome deals out there with the economy and all the layoffs going on, I'd keep searching.When I tell you I'm not a boat guy - I have a 19' black Checkmate w/200 ob sitting out in a meadow, That was a Badass boat in 86 - I know I'm never gonna get around to putsing around with it. Someone can take it for 500 bucks.My daughter got tired of waiting for me to fix it up and she bought brand new last year. I've never taken either of them out in the salt water and I love fishing from the rocks so I'm in no hurry.The new boat will be fun for the upper bay some day, for now it's just for tubing on Johnson's pond.

still by the firelight
and purple moonlight
Old 12-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
CaptMike

Yeah I'm weighing the pros and cons of a CC vs a WA. I like having all the stowage of the WA plus they'll clear their decks better but the CC has the edge for fly fishing so we'll have to see
Old 12-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
CaptMike

honestly I don't think I will catch any more fish in either design or get out any more often so my main concern is getting a rig that will start every time and have the least amount of hassles, if that's even possible in a boat
Old 12-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
BillM

I would say go check out deals if you're not specific about what you want. Some people will roll out a carpet and ask you to take off your shoes before you walk on their boat - Nice.

still by the firelight
and purple moonlight