Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Just curious

personally I do care, but...
I assume most of these people are of a certain religion. I know that some countries that are also mostly of this religion are bazillion-aires. Are the saudis making a big $$$ and military intervention? or once again will it be us infidels?

Why Americans should care about famine in Africa - CNN.com

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 08-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
JohnnyD

Frankly, I don't care about Africa. It's sad but we have our own problems. Call me racist, but for thousands of years, the country has been filled with radicals and savages with minimal societal progress. Some tribes have been at war for literally hundreds of years. Is it sad that all these people die? Yeah. On the other hand, when you are popping out 10 kids with no way to support them, no income, no food or clean water, that's what will happen. They suffer from massive famine because there are just far too many people, yet they continue to procreate.

In that article, he says that "investing in relief and improving health can pay dividends." How exactly? You want to invest in something that will pay dividends... female sterilization after they have 1 child. Overpopulation is not going to go away by giving them food and making them healthier - it will only get worse.

Most of Africa is the lawless, career-welfare recipient of the world.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
personally I do care, but...
I assume most of these people are of a certain religion. I know that some countries that are also mostly of this religion are bazillion-aires. Are the saudis making a big $$$ and military intervention? or once again will it be us infidels?

Why Americans should care about famine in Africa - CNN.com
It's the USA helping again as always. Half a billion dollars and counting. We have to though, that's what makes us Americans. I am fine with it.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Frankly, I don't care about Africa. It's sad but we have our own problems. Call me racist, but for thousands of years, the country has been filled with radicals and savages with minimal societal progress. Some tribes have been at war for literally hundreds of years. Is it sad that all these people die? Yeah. On the other hand, when you are popping out 10 kids with no way to support them, no income, no food or clean water, that's what will happen. They suffer from massive famine because there are just far too many people, yet they continue to procreate.

In that article, he says that "investing in relief and improving health can pay dividends." How exactly? You want to invest in something that will pay dividends... female sterilization after they have 1 child. Overpopulation is not going to go away by giving them food and making them healthier - it will only get worse.

You're racist.

In reality, we help these countries because in many parts of the world we're considered big bullying a-holes. It's our way of showing that we just want to be liked by everybody, even if they wouldn't piss on us if we were on fire.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 08-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Chesapeake Bill

The famine is in Somalia...the same country that dragged our soldiers through the streets after murdering them. Care...sure. Send them something...I have a suggestion. The only ones with money there are the pirates holding ships hostage until the ramsomes are paid thereby raising the cost of goods worldwide...let the pirates buy them food. We can even offer to sell it to them at higher than normal prices and then hold the food shipments ransome...

Just a thought...
Old 08-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
It's the USA helping again as always. Half a billion dollars and counting. We have to though, that's what makes us Americans. I am fine with it.
I agree. We'll be the first to get hammered for hating a certain religion or being intolerant, are their brothers in religion helping them too?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 08-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
You're racist.

In reality, we help these countries because in many parts of the world we're considered big bullying a-holes. It's our way of showing that we just want to be liked by everybody, even if they wouldn't piss on us if we were on fire.
Or... we can stop acting like the worlds policeman and, in turn, not try to buy karma by sending money to Africa that's just going to gangs anyway. Win Win. Save on military spending and not having to buy forgiveness.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I agree. We'll be the first to get hammered for hating a certain religion or being intolerant, are their brothers in religion helping them too?

Yep...

As far as the Warlords and Al Shabab. Get them in a confined area and level it. Worse than back to the Stone Age.

Then perhaps their people will not be suffering as badly as they do. They steal the frieking aid food for crying out loud.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post

A couple fo weeks ago there was a story about a woman walking to some camp, squatted, had the kid on the side of the road and left it there to die. Walked away. Red Cross picked up the baby. I agree with above.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
spence

I think Americans have a tradition of helping those in need without asking for much if anything in return. Not sure if any other nation can really claim the same...

Sure you can argue the details, but it's part of what makes America great.

-spence
Old 08-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think Americans have a tradition of helping those in need without asking for much if anything in return. Not sure if any other nation can really claim the same...

Sure you can argue the details, but it's part of what makes America great.

-spence
ya think?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #12
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
ya think?
Yes, it was the inspiration behind the post.

-spence