Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
spence

GOP Debate

This should be interesting...didn't even know Newt was still running.

Already, Bachmann is showing to be a dope.

-spence
Old 08-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
spence

This debate is pretty boring...so is this thread.

-spence
Old 08-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
spence

Pawlenty is really showing a quick wit...impressive

-spence
Old 08-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
spence

Stopped watching the debate to watch Home Alone 2 with my son.

GOP field is not impressing.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-12-2011, 03:31 AM   #5
Rob Rockcrawler

Bachmann isnt going to be going far. She is hyped up, better than Palin by a bit i think, but she would be a disaster for the country.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Stopped watching the debate to watch Home Alone 2 with my son.

GOP field is not impressing.
I agree

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 08-12-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
scottw

this is hilarious...the greatest, smartest, cleanest and most articulate President ever (ready to be chiseled out on Mt Rushmore) is an ACTUAL disaster but some are claiming to be able to predict which candidate will be a "worse?" disaster for this country?

Spence supported Joe Biden last time around and continues to support everything that the current disaster does...Spence you have no business referring to any candidate as a dope given your track record

do I need to relist the roll of dem candidates from the last presidential election?

how about just the top 3.....

John Edwards.....that would have been great fun...huh?
Hillary...apparently the current focus of buyers remorse ridden dem voters
Obama....the only guy that can make the Carter presidency look good

Last edited by scottw; 08-12-2011 at 07:18 AM..
Old 08-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #8
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

First impressions:
Newht- sharpest tack in the room, would kill Obama in any debate.
Bachman-determined and wouldn't waiver from her consevative agenda.
Romney-typical politician,promise ya everything and give ya Arpege.
Paul- Paul is Paul
Cain-(sp?) common sense guy.
The others- no real impression.

Looking forward to Perry as I know nothing about him.
Juliani maybe close to running, that imho,would be good

" Choose Life "
Old 08-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #9
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Guess we are up for an expensive unimpressive ride. The current occupant of the WH has been unimpressive as well.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
Fly Rod

Should have at least watched the first half of the Patriots, instead of them jackels behind a podium.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
First impressions:
YOU NAILED IT.

Gingrich is a genius, with actual ideas that address actual problems, and he can explain why his solution has worked in the past, and why the liberal alternative has always been a disaster.

I would pay anything to see Gingrich debate Obama. Anything. It would be an absolute bloodbath. Because not only is Gingrich smarter than Obama, he's not afraid to take off the gloves.

Sadly, while I believe Gingrich would do the best job, he has very little chance to win the primary, and less of a chance in the general election...too much historical baggage. Which is too bad, because IMHO, he is exactly what we need.

In 2008, I was the first person to predict that Palin would be the VP choice. For the last year, I have been saying that Marco Rubio would be the VP choice for 2012, if he was elected US Senator from FL, which he was. Rubio is the most important Republican in the country right now...he gives the GOP a shot at Florida (which will be a key state in 2012), he gives them Catholics, he placates the tea party (very important to get them energized), and MOST IMPORTANT, he gives them a shot at the Hispanic vote (Rubio is Cuban-American). He is the GOP's ticket for the next decade.

If Hispanics start voting for the GOP, you watch how fast liberals change their tune on immigration. In the next nanosecond, liberals will build a one-way, high-speed train to the Mexican border, and stick anyone with brown skin on that train...
Old 08-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
YOU NAILED IT.

Gingrich is a genius, with actual ideas that address actual problems, and he can explain why his solution has worked in the past, and why the liberal alternative has always been a disaster.

I would pay anything to see Gingrich debate Obama. Anything. It would be an absolute bloodbath. Because not only is Gingrich smarter than Obama, he's not afraid to take off the gloves.

Sadly, while I believe Gingrich would do the best job, he has very little chance to win the primary, and less of a chance in the general election...too much historical baggage. Which is too bad, because IMHO, he is exactly what we need.
He is smarter and surely better but he can screw up too and I think we can do better. But he would wreck O in a debate.

Quote:
In 2008, I was the first person to predict that Palin would be the VP choice.
When in 2008 and where is your proof ?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
He is smarter and surely better but he can screw up too and I think we can do better. But he would wreck O in a debate.
I think O could hold his own, granted McCain wasn't a great debater but he didn't really give Obama much of a challenge.

Newt has a deep knowledge of history he draws from to make parallels. He's also often very selective and manipulative. Perhaps that's why Jim thinks... "liberal alternatives always been a disaster."

The biggest factor against Newt in a debate is that he often comes off as smarmy. People really don't like him all that much.

Additionally, Newt relies on well thought out angles to make his points, but often misses the heart of what people really care about.

-spence
Old 08-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Selective and manipulative just like our current media. They will decide the next election. Just like they did the last one. Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
Jim in CT

Spence, on Monday when the market was tanking, Obama gave a speech where he basically said "we're Americans, and now that I am your leader, we can get through this". After his speech, the DOW dropped another 400 points. If Gingrich gave that speech, he would have outlined a specific plan to get us out of this (with SPECIFIC DETAILS), and the market would have gone up 500 points. Obama's life experience has been academic, theoretical discussions. Gingrich spends his time figuring out specifically, what solutions work, and which do not.

"Perhaps that's why Jim thinks... "liberal alternatives always been a disaster."

Spence, want to know why I think liberalism has been a disaster? Look at the economic state of every place that has embraced liberalism...Massachusetts, Connecticut, California, Illinois, Europe...Come down to CT, and drive around the liberal Utopias of Hartford and Bridgeport, see just how well liberal policies are faring...

The red states are adding jobs. The blue states are bleeding jobs and will soon face bankruptcy.

When I say liberalism is a disaster, I DO NOT say that because that's what I'm rooting for. I say that because when you look at the current (or historical) economic landscape with an open mind, there simply is no other conclusion.

HOW MUCH MORE EVIDENCE DO YOU NEED?

If Sean Penn said that 2 plus 2 equals 12, you'd believe it. There's simply no talking to you people, because you do not respond to fact, only to ideology...
Old 08-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #16
fishbones

[QUOTE=Jim in CT;879313]
Spence, want to know why I think liberalism has been a disaster? Look at the economic state of every place that has embraced liberalism...Massachusetts, Connecticut, California, Illinois, Europe...Come down to CT, and drive around the liberal Utopias of Hartford and Bridgeport, see just how well liberal policies are faring...

The red states are adding jobs. The blue states are bleeding jobs and will soon face bankruptcy.
QUOTE]

Don't forget RI. One of the bluest of the blue.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 08-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #17
JohnnyD

Quote:
First impressions:
Bachman-determined and wouldn't waiver from her consevative agenda.
Romney-typical politician,promise ya everything and give ya Arpege.
Paul- Paul is Paul
Cain-(sp?) common sense guy.
The others- no real impression.

Looking forward to Perry as I know nothing about him.
Juliani maybe close to running, that imho,would be good
Paul might have been Paul... but the nation seemed to like him:
Iowa GOP Debate - Topix
Old 08-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #18
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

i dont like any of them. i think I will be pulling a BigFish and stay home next november

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 08-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #19
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
i dont like any of them. i think I will be pulling a BigFish and stay home next november
If you don't vote, then you lose your right to complain.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #20
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Paul might have been Paul... but the nation seemed to like him:
Iowa GOP Debate - Topix
That is amazing JD, and the fact that Romney won by only a few points
over Bachman.
I would say that with Paul showing such a high rating the American people must
like the idea of a drastic change of the current Govt.

" Choose Life "
Old 08-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
That is amazing JD, and the fact that Romney won by only a few points
over Bachman.
I would say that with Paul showing such a high rating the American people must
like the idea of a drastic change of the current Govt.
It's more a reflection of the straw poll voters in IA...nearly always this way and is certainly not a predictor of the Republicans nationwide.

-spence
Old 08-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #22
spence

Quote:
If Gingrich gave that speech, he would have outlined a specific plan to get us out of this (with SPECIFIC DETAILS), and the market would have gone up 500 points. Obama's life experience has been academic, theoretical discussions. Gingrich spends his time figuring out specifically, what solutions work, and which do not.
This is perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever read, and I'm including the entire body of ScottW (as one big inane thought) in that remark.

So Newt speaks and the market instantly reverses course. I think you forgot the part about him farting perfume, dancing on water and fixing the roads in Rhode Island.

Quote:
You should take the Blue counties out of your Red states and then see how they're doing.

Even better, why don't you correlate the job growth to federal funding...you do know that the Red states consume much more Federal tax dollars per capita don't you? Perhaps if the Red states are so successful they should stop taking funds so the Blue states can balance their books.

Have you factored in geography to your analysis?

It might explain why MI is still s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g wind while TX is booming. A few years ago an IT Director at an oil equipment company remarked to me "the only way I see to optimize our business any further would be to just print money directly."

Didn't Texas raise taxes some years ago to invest in education? Perhaps they're reaping the rewards of that action.

Quote:
When I say liberalism is a disaster, I DO NOT say that because that's what I'm rooting for. I say that because when you look at the current (or historical) economic landscape with an open mind, there simply is no other conclusion.
That's because you came to your own conclusion before the question was even raised.

You know...for someone who professes his love for facts, we sure don't see you around them very often. Kind of like this geek I knew in grade school who always talked his hot girlfriend, that went to another school...

-spence

Last edited by spence; 08-12-2011 at 03:34 PM..
Old 08-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
It's more a reflection of the straw poll voters in IA...nearly always this way and is certainly not a predictor of the Republicans nationwide.

-spence
Spence is 100% correct. Some fringe Republicans have won in Iowa before, and then quickly dropped out of the race. The nominee will be Romney, Perry, with Bachman a slight (very slight) possibility.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #24
scottw

Quote:
This is perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever read, and I'm including the entire body of ScottW (as one big inane thought) in that remark.

You know...for someone who professes his love for facts, we sure don't see you around them very often. Kind of like this geek I knew in grade school who always talked his hot girlfriend, that went to another school...

-spence
love the insults...it's all that your type have left sadly...I'll be sure to let you know the next time that you are actually right about something....anything...
Old 08-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #25
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
love the insults...it's all that your type have left sadly...I'll be sure to let you know the next time that you are actually right about something....anything...
Those aren't insults, they're love kisses

-spence
Old 08-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #26
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
I think O could hold his own, granted McCain wasn't a great debater but he didn't really give Obama much of a challenge.

Newt has a deep knowledge of history he draws from to make parallels. He's also often very selective and manipulative. Perhaps that's why Jim thinks... "liberal alternatives always been a disaster."

The biggest factor against Newt in a debate is that he often comes off as smarmy. People really don't like him all that much.

Additionally, Newt relies on well thought out angles to make his points, but often misses the heart of what people really care about.

-spence
I agree he is "smarmy", prolly not well liked and does have a deep knowledge of history.
But what does Obama have a deep knowledge of?

" Choose Life "
Old 08-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #27
Rob Rockcrawler

Quote:
I agree he is "smarmy", prolly not well liked and does have a deep knowledge of history.
But what does Obama have a deep knowledge of?
College hoops maybe.

All kidding aside. And im not ashamed to say that i lean to the left in most instances. But Paulenti (sp) and his comments about abortion are scary. Saying that not even in cases of rape should it be allowed. I know that during these type of debates its all about rah rah for your party but damn dude. Do you seriously think that having such a hard line on that subject will go over in a national election? Not a straw pole with a bunch of cow tippers. If Bachman made a statement like that i would at least respect her a bit since she has a VAGINA.

And who needs the EPA. I love my mercury and PCB's they never hurt anyone. I am always looking at more ways to add just a little more smog on those hot as a bastard days when they issue health warnings to the old and people with breathing problems. But hey, if it makes corporations more profitable it must be a good idea. Lower their taxes, relax environmental protections, maybe we can have air like beijing.

On the environment, and im just thinking on fisherman's terms. Lets take away regulations on pesticides so farms can be more profitable. The runoff heads to the Chesapeake and screws up the water more than it is now. Even lower spawning success of our beloved stripers. That would equal more time on S-B in the political forum, a place a rarely visit.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #28
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Rockcrawler View Post
College hoops maybe.

All kidding aside. And im not ashamed to say that i lean to the left in most instances. But Paulenti (sp) and his comments about abortion are scary. Saying that not even in cases of rape should it be allowed. I know that during these type of debates its all about rah rah for your party but damn dude. Do you seriously think that having such a hard line on that subject will go over in a national election? Not a straw pole with a bunch of cow tippers. If Bachman made a statement like that i would at least respect her a bit since she has a VAGINA.

And who needs the EPA. I love my mercury and PCB's they never hurt anyone. I am always looking at more ways to add just a little more smog on those hot as a bastard days when they issue health warnings to the old and people with breathing problems. But hey, if it makes corporations more profitable it must be a good idea. Lower their taxes, relax environmental protections, maybe we can have air like beijing.

On the environment, and im just thinking on fisherman's terms. Lets take away regulations on pesticides so farms can be more profitable. The runoff heads to the Chesapeake and screws up the water more than it is now. Even lower spawning success of our beloved stripers. That would equal more time on S-B in the political forum, a place a rarely visit.
Rob no need to be ashamed of leaning left, everyone is entitled
to their opinion based on what is important to them.
Most important thing in the end is what's best for America and our
way of life. Extremes on either side are not good for the country,imho.

Like Slip said in the other tread what we need now is a Great Leader.
I don't see one anywhere on either side, but who knows.

Rob, you still making plugs? I remember you showing me your first
and it was a beaut.

" Choose Life "
Old 08-13-2011, 05:52 AM   #29
scottw

Quote:
Like Slip said in the other tread what we need now is a Great Leader.
I don't see one anywhere on either side, but who knows.
Great leaders don't just show up with a "I'm destined to be a great leader" placard draped across their chest.....the current occupant is not anything resembling a leader and he's the most expensive, most overhyped candidate in history.....he's better at starting and fanning fires than putting them out(community organizer).....the opposition will fight it out and even then, there are no guarantees because unforseen future events will determine the "quality" of their leadership skills, it's foolish to do what the dems do each time they've crowned a saviour and build them up as the greatest, smartest most desirable ever....before they've ever been tested in any meaningful way, Obama had no leadership skills to begin with...hasn't developed any and won't.....every election season it's the same freaking thing...the republicans are boring and stupid....the dems are all brilliant policy wonks and masterdebaters, even Al Sharpton.....it's very early in the process

Last edited by scottw; 08-13-2011 at 06:13 AM..
Old 08-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #30
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Great leaders don't just show up with a "I'm destined to be a great leader" placard draped across their chest.....
That's exactly why i said, " but who knows."

Some are born with the capacity to be great leaders and some
are made through adversity.
What we have now in office, is neither.

" Choose Life "