Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Obama will have 4th lowest annual GDP growth of any president

Despite being there for 8 years, and spending 100 jillion dollars, he couldn't get the economy going, as measured by probably the most important statistic.

Unemployment is down, but so are wages...

And after a recession, that's usually when you see significant GDP growth, you usually get a bounce...

I am sure he will take full responsibility, after all, the buck stops with him...

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016...le-year-3-gdp/
Old 08-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #2
spence

Dated but worth reading...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhart.../#507327bd20bc

Can I call your clients and warn them?
Old 08-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #3
Nebe

You know what cracks me up? The GOP in congress and Sennate have blocked Obama at every move that they could.
Then they tell their people that Obama has done nothing.

Classic.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #4
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
You know what cracks me up? The GOP in congress and Sennate have blocked Obama at every move that they could.

Classic.
No they caved on most everything . That's one of the reasons we have Trump . You fell for the Democrats mantra... Blame everyone else
Old 08-02-2016, 05:31 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Dated but worth reading...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhart.../#507327bd20bc

Can I call your clients and warn them?
I sad unemployment was down, that doesn't refute anything I said. Unemployment is down, but so are wage, which is rare over an 8 year period.

Can you comment at all on GDP growth?
Old 08-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:

Classic.
What did Obama want to do to help the economy, that the GOP blocked, exactly? He got his $750 billion stimulus bill passed, which he said would keep unemployment under 8%, and it shot up to 10%, only off by a couple of million jobs, no biggie..
Old 08-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #7
Nebe

wow. You need help. Or maybe you need to pay closer attention to the way the GOP operates.

Minimum wage increase. NOPE

Equal pay for women.
NOPE
shall I go on ? Because I believe they blocked over 500 bills. It's really pathetic.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:02 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
wow. You need help. Or maybe you need to pay closer attention to the way the GOP operates.

Equal pay for women.
NOPE
shall I go on ? Because I believe they blocked over 500 bills. It's really pathetic.
"Minimum wage increase. NOPE"

You are correct, I think the GOP blocked something in 2014. How does that increase GDP, though?

"Equal pay for women"

First, it's against federal law to pay women less for the same job. Second, the myth of the gender pay gap has been debunked. When you compare pay between the genders for people in the same field and for people who have the same experience, the gap goes away. Do you think a female cashier on her first day, should make the same salary as an experienced CEO?

Men are more likely to go into lucrative careers, and they are less likely to take time off while having children. So they tend to have higher pay. There is nothing discriminatory about that.

"I believe they blocked over 500 bills"

I never said they didn't block bills. I asked what they blocked, which would increase GDP.

The American people, in 2010 and 2014, voted to give Congress to the GOP. It's safe to say, that people didn't elect Republicans, because they want them to go along with Obama. If that's what they wanted, they would have voted for Democrats.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:05 PM   #9
Nebe

Well. Here's hoping this coming election cycle flushes the toilet.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Well. Here's hoping this coming election cycle flushes the toilet.
There's a great chance the Democrats will take back the Senate. Great chance.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:27 PM   #11
detbuch

Quote:

Equal pay for women.
NOPE
If we want the Federal Government to have the power to determine wages, how about having the government mandate that employers pay their employees, regardless of sex, or gender preference, or race, or ethnicity, or religion, or whatever self-description, what they are actually worth to the company in terms of their individual productivity, their individual punctuality, their individual adherence to company standards, and stuff that is actually useful for successful business, rather than just paying everybody the same wage.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:10 AM   #12
wdmso

not my quote but sum's it up nicely

I love in the real world ...and things are great...economy moving forward, gas is 1.99 where i live, lost a lot of money in the stock market and value of my house...they both bounced back now..

just another thread that fails to see the Big picture
Old 08-03-2016, 05:10 AM   #13
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

I love in the real world ...and things are great...economy moving forward, gas is 1.99 where i live, lost a lot of money in the stock market and value of my house...they both bounced back now..

I think we have different definitions of "the Big Picture"
Old 08-03-2016, 05:40 AM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

"the economy is moving forward"

Depends how you define that, I guess. You it like that cannot be debated. It can.

Unemployment is way down. The stock market is way up. Gas is cheap. These are good things.

But the GDP growth has been pathetic, and many economists say that's a very key macroeconomic indicator, if not the key macroeconomic indicator. Median wages are down a bit over the last 8 years, which is very rare. A lot of economists think we are on the verge of a recession. And there's that debt - not every cent of which is Obama's doing, but some of it is. And the looming social security and medicare crisis, and the fact that many states will soon be bouncing pension checks to unionized retirees. And much of the good is predicated on interest rates staying close to zero - what happens if interest rates shoot up? That's just a hypothetical, obviously.

The original post was to show how pathetic GDP growth has been. You are saying that's not a meaningful statistic. if one wants to measure the health of the overall economy. I'm not sure where you got your degree in economics, but a great number of experts would disagree with you.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:42 AM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I think we have different definitions of "the Big Picture"
In which to some, GDP doesn't tell us anything about "the Big Picture".

Sure, sure.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:51 AM   #16
Nebe

I forgot. Some peoples big picture involves race (black man as president) and sexism (oh no! A woman is going to be the next president!)
Old 08-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #17
detbuch

Quote:
I forgot. Some peoples big picture involves race (black man as president) and sexism (oh no! A woman is going to be the next president!)
Let's throw in everything but the kitchen sink.

And let's call Republicans, especially "conservative" ones racists and sexists. Even if it's not true. Is there something special about the label "Democrat" that signifies "not racist" or "not sexist"?

Is it "not racist" to have low expectations of a race? Is it "not sexist" to use sex as a political hammer? Is it "not sexist" to protect your husband from the harm that is due to him for treating women as his sexual toy?
Old 08-03-2016, 07:21 AM   #18
Nebe

Well.. Seems to me that's what your party supports. Oh, they call it "family values"
And "faith based" beliefs.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:32 AM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
Funny, the only ones I ever hear talking about color and gender, are liberals.

Nebe, maybe you slept through the entire primary season, but the GOP had all kinds of diversity among the nominees - Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Ben Carson, Carly Fiorina, Bobby Jindal...
Old 08-03-2016, 07:36 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Well.. Seems to me that's what your party supports. Oh, they call it "family values"
And "faith based" beliefs.
OK, I'll bite. How, exactly, are traditional family values, racist.

You are correct, my side promotes traditional family values. Your side doesn't.

75% of black babies are born out of wedlock. If that has been beneficial to blacks, boy I would just love to have you explain how.

Your side pats blacks on the head, says "there, there, it's not your fault, here's just enough welfare to postpone death a little longer, now run along and don't forget to vote for me in November."

Your side is ushering in, and presiding over, a total cultural collapse in the black community.

My side wants blacks to embrace the behaviors that tend to lead to prosperity. Your side tells them that they don't need to change. And that makes my side racist?
Old 08-03-2016, 07:46 AM   #21
Nebe

I'd say that traditional family values entail a white family living in a white neighborhood with kids who date or are married to white partners.

Any deviation from that will breed hate and fear based behavior which is liberals will then have to deal with
Old 08-03-2016, 08:01 AM   #22
Jim in CT

[QUOTE=Nebe;1105795]I'd say that traditional family values entail a white family living in a white neighborhood with kids who date or are married to white partners.

Any deviation from that will breed hate and fear based behavior which is liberals will then have to deal with
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/QUOTE

"I'd say that traditional family values entail a white family living in a white neighborhood with kids who date or are married to white partners. " I am sure you would say that, because you don't have a clue what my side is actually saying.

I have news for you. Those traditional values are color blind, and I can prove it. Blacks who embrace those values - stay in school, study hard, maintain a stable loving family, don't have kids until you are ready - do well. And whites who do the opposite - don't go to college, do drugs, wear your pants halfway down to your ankles - struggle. So it's not about skin color, it's about the choices you make, how hard you work, and how you present yourself. Color doesn't matter.

My side wants to somehow get more blacks to embrace the behaviors and choices that will break the poverty cycle. Your side is happy to watch them continue the catastrophic slide. My guess, and it's a good guess, is that liberals fear that if blacks prosper, they will vote Republican, so they enact policies that keep blacks alive, but desperately poor, and crippled by an addiction to welfare.

But my side is racist. Right, right.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:04 AM   #23
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'd say that traditional family values entail a white family living in a white neighborhood with kids who date or are married to white partners.

at least now we know who the racist is...

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #24
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
at least now we know who the racist is...
I don't feel that way at all. I just have a serious beef with people that do.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #25
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I don't know anybody here that stated that's the way they feel.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:31 AM   #26
Nebe

I'm going to just go back to minding my own business
Old 08-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:

"which is liberals will then have to deal with "

yes, the liberals are doing a great job "dealing with" racial issues. More black babies born out of wedlock, more blacks living in poverty, and more racial tension since the segregation era of the 1950s (remind me, which party supported segregation, which party opposed it?).
Old 08-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
I'm going to just go back to minding my own business
You were absolutely, 100% correct that the GOP blocked an increase to the federal minimum wage, and it's fair to hold them accountable for things like that.

But we're not all a bunch of greedy racists. But if you watch any TV station except one, you'd get the impression that's exactly what we are.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #29
buckman

Quote:

Wow ....just wow . You need to change your prescription my friend
Old 08-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #30
scottw

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Wow ....just wow . You need to change your prescription my friend