Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-30-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
spence

Obama GOP debate

Did anyone else watch this?

Obama, Republicans clash in unusual session | Reuters

Pretty incredible if you ask me. Obama defended, in quite substantial terms, by himself, attacks on just about every aspect of his Administration.

Love him or hate him this was a very impressive showing by the commander and chief.

-spence
Old 01-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
striperman36
Old Guy

Just about as good as ex-prime minister Tony Blair gettin blasted for 6 hours about Iraq
Old 01-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Just about as good as ex-prime minister Tony Blair gettin blasted for 6 hours about Iraq
I think they must have tried to mimic the PM question and answer sessions. In the UK you can't rise in politics unless you can stand the heat.

-spence
Old 01-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think they must have tried to mimic the PM question and answer sessions. In the UK you can't rise in politics unless you can stand the heat.

-spence
watchin a parliament session was pretty interestin when it came to that
Old 01-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
watchin a parliament session was pretty interestin when it came to that
What's nice is that you get to hear a person defend their own interests, rather than simple commentary to stir the pot and fill air time.

I think he caught the GOP quite by surprise to be honest. They've been duped by the pundits that Obama doesn't know his stuff or can't speak without a teleprompter.

I also think he made a great point when he said that the right-wing has so polarized itself that Republican members aren't able to compromise or actually negotiate (i.e. do their jobs) because they're afraid of their own party.

-spence
Old 01-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
buckman

Quote:
What's nice is that you get to hear a person defend their own interests, rather than simple commentary to stir the pot and fill air time.

I think he caught the GOP quite by surprise to be honest. They've been duped by the pundits that Obama doesn't know his stuff or can't speak without a teleprompter.

I also think he made a great point when he said that the right-wing has so polarized itself that Republican members aren't able to compromise or actually negotiate (i.e. do their jobs) because they're afraid of their own party.

-spence
And the Democrats all have their on ideas and thoughts. No arm twisting going on in that group...just one big happy disfunctional family.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
And the Democrats all have their on ideas and thoughts. No arm twisting going on in that group...just one big happy disfunctional family.
I think we'd all agree that our government is pretty dysfunctional.

-spence
Old 01-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
EarnedStripes44

I agree Spence
Old 01-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
JohnnyD

There are few political events on tv I enjoy more than the British Parliament sessions.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
striperman36
Old Guy

the annual tomato fight in Spain

http://www.globalgourmet.com/destina.../tomatina.html

Last edited by striperman36; 01-30-2010 at 07:18 PM..
Old 01-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
scottw

Quote:
Did anyone else watch this?

Love him or hate him this was a very impressive showing by the commander and chief.

-spence
master of the Obama leg hump
Old 01-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
master of the Obama leg hump
I'd note that FOX News couldn't even stand it and had to avert their eyes and instead talk about what Republicans would think about Obama's words...

Kind of like you.

-spence
Old 01-30-2010, 08:30 PM   #13
scottw

as it always is with Obama...the least accomplished person in the room was arrogantly lecturing everyone else about what they needed to do to make him happy...it was a pretty pathetic performance...what ever happened to "I won"?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #14
spence

Quote:
as it always is with Obama...the least accomplished person in the room was arrogantly lecturing everyone else about what they needed to do to make him happy...it was a pretty pathetic performance...what ever happened to "I won"?
Obama was facing off in an unscripted debate with what, most of the House Republicans? And the notion that this "one man" clearly held his own against dozens prepared with their best talking points?

If he was in fact the "least accomplished" person in the room, then this speaks quite poorly about the future of the Republican party!

Perhaps you could actually watch the thing and then come make up some equally inane remarks.

-spence
Old 01-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #15
scottw

I did, he was an arrogant ass as usual...

you are just shocked to see him speak without the teleprompter...after the pics with him dragging all of the teleprompter gear in to talk to a bunch of grammar schoolers, he needed to do some damage control to prove to his handful of remaining supporters that he's not the most rediculous clown that they've ever voted for...
Old 01-31-2010, 04:13 PM   #16
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Adam Nagourney termed the debate "remarkable" in the NYT.
Must be true.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #17
spence

Quote:
I did, he was an arrogant ass as usual...

you are just shocked to see him speak without the teleprompter...after the pics with him dragging all of the teleprompter gear in to talk to a bunch of grammar schoolers, he needed to do some damage control to prove to his handful of remaining supporters that he's not the most rediculous clown that they've ever voted for...
I believe I'm the one who defends Obama's speaking ability quite often. He killed McCain in the debates with this intellect, understanding of the issues and his wit. This was no exception.

You can make your pithy non sequitur remarks all you want, the simple fact is it was a hundred to one and Obama held his own quite well against all the prepared talking points.

-spence

Last edited by spence; 01-31-2010 at 04:35 PM..
Old 01-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #18
Fishpart
Keep The Change

The parts I saw he Brilliantly didn't answer the questions that were FAIRLY posed to him. He was pushy and arrogant and avoided the subject entirely which tells me he doesn't have a good grasp of the FACTS. Other than those two minor details, he did a magnificent job

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 01-31-2010, 06:19 PM   #19
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
The parts I saw he Brilliantly didn't answer the questions that were FAIRLY posed to him. He was pushy and arrogant and avoided the subject entirely which tells me he doesn't have a good grasp of the FACTS. Other than those two minor details, he did a magnificent job
You probably watched the recap on FOX News

-spence
Old 02-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

how sad is it that they spoke for 82 minutes? Why the hell are the republicans having they're own meeting? WHo pays them to meet with other republicans? So they can all look at each other and agree? WTF!! From the time they get to work until they get home they should be having JOINT meetings to work on governing the country. This is so indicative of the problems with our goverment. The president meets with one party in congress and its national news. SHOULD BE THEIR STANDARD JOB FUNCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lock em in a f'in room until they get the problems resolved or we tar and feather them

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
how sad is it that they spoke for 82 minutes? Why the hell are the republicans having they're own meeting? WHo pays them to meet with other republicans? So they can all look at each other and agree? WTF!! From the time they get to work until they get home they should be having JOINT meetings to work on governing the country. This is so indicative of the problems with our goverment. The president meets with one party in congress and its national news. SHOULD BE THEIR STANDARD JOB FUNCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lock em in a f'in room until they get the problems resolved or we tar and feather them
They all get together in the House quite frequently. It's not the regular job of the POTUS to privately address the House outside of more formal circumstances like the State of the Union address.

From what I've read, a dialogue this isn't unprecedented, but to be televised could be...

-spence
Old 02-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #22
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
They all get together in the House quite frequently. It's not the regular job of the POTUS to privately address the House outside of more formal circumstances like the State of the Union address.

From what I've read, a dialogue this isn't unprecedented, but to be televised could be...

-spence
you're not getting my point - screw "privately address" the house, he should be working with them and vice versa. this should be a common occurence. there is too much bs on both sides. get to freaking work and stop bs'ing. we're in 2 wars!

Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #23
JohnnyD

What we really need is a WrestleMania-style Royal Rumble. Empty the reflecting pool, and that will be the "ring". Last man standing gets a one-on-one Cage match against Obama inside the Lincoln Memorial - the Lincoln statue will give awesome opportunities for flying-backflip sumo splashes.

By crazy luck, the cage match turns out to be McCain vs. Obama - a grudge match for the history books. During the match, McCain gains the upper hand using a metal folding chair that was "accidentally" left behind the Lincoln statue (read: the GOP hid it there the night before).

Obama is down and stunned - will McCain take the easy victory and pin Obama? Look at this folks!! McCain lifts Obama over his head and is taunting the Liberals, McCain yells "Who's your Lord and Savior now? Praise me Bitches!!!!" and then throws Obama to the ground. McCain covers up and the ref starts counting "One!!! Twoooo!!!! Thr......"

Who's that on top of Lincoln?!? Oh my, it's SCOTT BROWN!! The ref is confused as to what's going on and doesn't see Brown. It looks like Brown is preparing for his signature "Flying Death Stomp for Liberals" as we saw him perform on Coakley earlier this year. Scott goes airborn, BUT HE COMES DOWN ON MCCAIN!!!!! What is going on?!?

Brown has knocked McCain completely unconscious. He has flipped Obama onto McCain and the ref looks over at the two, just as Brown slips out the back door. "One... Two.... THREEE!!!!!" And Obama wins.

It looks like the Democrats pulled a fast one on the world, folks. No one could believe they were as incompetent as they showed by losing the MA election. Well it looks like that was the plan all along.

Tune in next week where we'll find out the mysterious connection between Brown and Obama. Also, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi takes on Ann Coulter in our very first "Oiled String-Bikini" match - you *won't* want to miss that one.

Good Night Folks!
Old 02-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #24
detbuch

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
What we really need is a WrestleMania-style Royal Rumble. Empty the reflecting pool, and that will be the "ring". Last man standing gets a one-on-one Cage match against Obama inside the Lincoln Memorial - the Lincoln statue will give awesome opportunities for flying-backflip sumo splashes.

By crazy luck, the cage match turns out to be McCain vs. Obama - a grudge match for the history books. During the match, McCain gains the upper hand using a metal folding chair that was "accidentally" left behind the Lincoln statue (read: the GOP hid it there the night before).

Obama is down and stunned - will McCain take the easy victory and pin Obama? Look at this folks!! McCain lifts Obama over his head and is taunting the Liberals, McCain yells "Who's your Lord and Savior now? Praise me Bitches!!!!" and then throws Obama to the ground. McCain covers up and the ref starts counting "One!!! Twoooo!!!! Thr......"

Who's that on top of Lincoln?!? Oh my, it's SCOTT BROWN!! The ref is confused as to what's going on and doesn't see Brown. It looks like Brown is preparing for his signature "Flying Death Stomp for Liberals" as we saw him perform on Coakley earlier this year. Scott goes airborn, BUT HE COMES DOWN ON MCCAIN!!!!! What is going on?!?

Brown has knocked McCain completely unconscious. He has flipped Obama onto McCain and the ref looks over at the two, just as Brown slips out the back door. "One... Two.... THREEE!!!!!" And Obama wins.

It looks like the Democrats pulled a fast one on the world, folks. No one could believe they were as incompetent as they showed by losing the MA election. Well it looks like that was the plan all along.

Tune in next week where we'll find out the mysterious connection between Brown and Obama. Also, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi takes on Ann Coulter in our very first "Oiled String-Bikini" match - you *won't* want to miss that one.

Good Night Folks!

Your getting better and better, JohnnyD.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #25
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Your getting better and better, JohnnyD.
At least someone appreciated it. My full-timer had tears pouring down his face when I read it to him this afternoon.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #26
JohnnyD

This seems like a pretty good sum up of the Obama - Democrat - GOP relationship.

http://i.imgur.com/o8jCW.png
Old 02-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #27
buckman

Quote:
This seems like a pretty good sum up of the Obama - Democrat - GOP relationship.

http://i.imgur.com/o8jCW.png
Not even close JD.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #28
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Not even close JD.
You're right, it isn't even close. It's pretty exact.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:42 AM   #29
buckman

Quote:
You're right, it isn't even close. It's pretty exact.
Before Scott Brown, the DEMs didn't include the GOP in much. They wanted to do what they wanted, bring along a few token "republicans" like Olympia Snow, so they wouldn't take the whole blame for their failures.
This whole reaching out to the GOP BS that Obama is pulling is for suckers to believe.
His ideas are wacked. His people are way, way left of center and this country would be even more screwed if the GOP didn't say NO to his agenda. Hasn't the last year taught you aything.
Or are you blaming the 80% of America that believes Congress is doing a poor job on the GOP?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #30
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

People of the US - we do not want Obama's healthcare plan
Pres Obama - I will keep pushing for this plan no matter how hard it is

so whats the debate?