Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 07-01-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
cheferson

Tube and worm help

Need some tips/advice on tube and worming from the yak. I gave it mr 1st attempt yesterday. I hooked the worm on the head, should it be in the middle of it? I got hammered with hits , beating up the worm, but couldn't hook anything. How should the rod be hold when trolling? How do you set the hook? Or does the fish set the hook themselves ? I see soon as I figure all this out , Im going large !
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

What do you have for a yak? I know the Hobie guys hug the rod to there chest with one hand while they pedal. If you are paddling a yak, put it in a rod holder and hope they slam it good. Wouldn't hurt to grab and set the hook.

I'm no tube and worm expert but from what I'm noticing.....short hits seem to be the norm....you could try a trailer hook.

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/dru.../tube-and-worm

http://www.canoekayak.com/fishing/tube/

http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com/...-and-worm.html

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
Nebe

Short hits are fish hitting the front of the tube. I'm no expert, but I like the gulp sandworms it the red gulp blood worms. I troll around 2.5 to 3 kts. For me, a 1.5 oz weight works perfect with a normal cast's length of line. A large bass will CRUSH a tube. You'll see... Just keep trying.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
blondterror

I use leadcore line with conventional reel... make sure you use 2 top quality swivels to minimize line twist.... bigger worms catch BIGGER fish... multiple big worms catch the biggest fish

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

If you are getting short hits it means you are in the right zone, I like to troll very slow, about 1.5-2.5 mph. I love a tube with a spinner blade on it because 1) I think it attracks the fish and 2) you can get a good "feel" for what the tube is doing on the end of the line, meaning you can tell if it's weeded up or just not spinning properly.

I like a nice slow corkscrew action to the tube as it trolls. Try to keep it right off the bottom.

Hooking through the head is the way to go, I like to stick the point of the hook right between the pinchers. That is the best way to keep the worm on the hook IMO and you get the best action that way as well.

Oh and you might want to experiment with different weights and types of tubes, sometimes I'll be getting short hits, switch tubes and get slammed...

Last edited by Rockport24; 07-01-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
falkners

Short hits can be Porgies. They grab the end of the worm and tug it off. Try just a piece of worm. There is no need to put on a whole worm it is just the scent that attract the fish. You shouldn't need to set the hook. Bass hit so hard they usually hook themselves.
falkners is offline   Reply With Quote