Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 06-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
JamesJet

Jeep Mechanic Needed!- "death wobble"?

Anyone out there in the general Boston / Northshore area have a mechanic they would recommend? I drive a 2001 Cherokee, with <70K but have just started to get what many online refer to as death wobble or bump steer. I think its closer to "bump steer" if my understanding is correct because sometimes when I go over a bump (93, or anywhere in Melrose where I live) if I hit it a certain way it gets scary. The car sort of wobbles and I feel as though I am loosing control. I have a feeling this is probably caused by a recent tire rotation - but I cant be sure. Its not a full time problem only when hitting a bump as described. It certainly needs to be addressed.
I love this vehicle and only drive it about 5-6K a year. Basically to and from hunting, fishing, dog training spots as I take public transportation to work every day.
Bottom line is I am looking for quality over price and particularly someone who understands SUVs and Jeeps in particular. I am willing to drive a ways for a good one. Drive slowly that is...
Thanks!
JamesJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Bill at Waltham Auto & Tire. Not a crook and he'll treat you right. 781-894-4002

I been using this guy for over 20 years.

Sounds like a bad ball joint. If it's that bad spend $100 and have it towed. Much safer.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

My 1999 Cherokee could get a little squirrely taking a bump, but not to the degree you describe. I attributed what mine was doing to a combination of the solid front drive axle, the rigid unibody construction and its light weight (~ 3300 lbs GVW).

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
Gary
The Bawston Whalah

Shoot me a PM, I have dealt with this problem many times before. Sometimes it can be as simple as a bad set of shocts or a torque arm bushing. in all honesty, the old Dana 60 sront axles were the ones to suffer from the ball bearing, Kingcone (not pin) issues. I know 4 wheel deal upside down backwards and forwards so if you don't get any where with someone else let me know. I've also seen a bad spring busshing do this also and what a pain in the ass to find.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:09 AM   #5
redneck24
WTF

i am a jeep mechanic and trust myself randolphchryslerjeep.com

diamondbanger
redneck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
JamesJet

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will post how everything goes.
JamesJet is offline   Reply With Quote