Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-14-2018, 06:59 AM   #61
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
geez get a grip...it's amusement...if you think you are going to solve the world's problems HERE....you really need some help
Nothing to do with saving the world... I enjoy the banter, but not enough hours in the day to waste it here with you jamokes :-)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-14-2018, 07:26 AM   #62
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Pete, you posted an article attacking Ryan because during a (90 minute?) speech, he didn't sit absolutely still. Sorry, that's a new source that can never be trusted to report on the time of the sunrise.
Cherrypicking, read the next sentence

"Similarly, large swaths of the GOP chose to remain seated with increasingly bored expressions — some even appeared to nod off — during the speech, including during segments that would have provoked thunderous GOP applause had they come from a Republican president. Instead, they evidently so greatly feared appearing supportive of anything coming out of the president's mouth that they opted to sit still through the president's commentary on issues like better benefits and support for military and veterans, bootstrapping recommendations to work harder in order to achieve dreams, and improving conditions for business, all popular GOP topics."

Everybody can whatabout, we need to get Congress to work and not play political games, for Americans, not for people on the edges

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-14-2018, 08:19 AM   #63
PaulS

So I guess the Dems. hate low Black unemployment and the Repubs. hate the military.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #64
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Everybody can whatabout, we need to get Congress to work and not play political games, for Americans, not for people on the edges
Agreed 100%, very well put, and both sides need to stop the BS and get back to work. It's not just one side, there's plenty of BS on the right.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #65
Jim in CT

Trump would be well advised not to poo-poo the death totals from the Puerto Rico hurricane, though it's fair to say that local leaders there have been corrupt and incompetent as well.

But here, CNN's Andrea Mitchell is desperately trying to bash FEMA, and the director (who seems very impressive and capable to me) isn't having any of it. She tries to use the death toll as evidence that FEMA failed. Does she think that FEMA's role is to prevent hurricanes from happening?

State/local government have, by far, the greater responsibility for preparing for hurricanes. If state/local leaders fail miserably, FEMA can't be expected to overcome that.

I think this guy gutted her like a fish, and she never said he had a point, all she did is go down the talking points. Her goal here, obviously, was to club Trump.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #66
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
geez get a grip...it's amusement...if you think you are going to solve the world's problems HERE....you really need some help
I know, that’s what Facebook is for

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #67
spence

Quote:
But here, CNN's Andrea Mitchell is desperately trying to bash FEMA, and the director (who seems very impressive and capable to me) isn't having any of it. She tries to use the death toll as evidence that FEMA failed. Does she think that FEMA's role is to prevent hurricanes from happening?
Andrea Mitchell works for MSNBC.

Quote:
State/local government have, by far, the greater responsibility for preparing for hurricanes. If state/local leaders fail miserably, FEMA can't be expected to overcome that.
The entire reason FEMA exists is to compensate for local government that's expected to break down.

Quote:
I think this guy gutted her like a fish, and she never said he had a point, all she did is go down the talking points. Her goal here, obviously, was to club Trump.
Was there a single unreasonable question? Was anything unprofessional? I'm surprised you didn't say she was shrieking, unhinged, depraved and otherwise morally bankrupt.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #68
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Andrea Mitchell works for MSNBC.

The entire reason FEMA exists is to compensate for local government that's expected to break down.

Was there a single unreasonable question? Was anything unprofessional? I'm surprised you didn't say she was shrieking, unhinged, depraved and otherwise morally bankrupt.
"Andrea Mitchell works for MSNBC"

Correct, thanks.

"The entire reason FEMA exists is to compensate for local government that's expected to break down. "

That's correct. But a hurricane death count, doesn't indicate that FEMA failed. It indicates the local officials failed. Especially if the death count is exacerbated by a crumbling infrastructure and electrical grid, etc.

"Was there a single unreasonable question?"

Several.

asking how FEMA's efforts could be considered favorable, given the death count. That's on local officials.

She was wrong about who owns the electrical grid, she made a big deal out of the nothingburger about who is "certified" to do what, she made a big deal out of the nohtingburger (according to the director) that was 10M getting diverted from FEMA to ICE. The whole intervie wwas designed for Mitchell to make FEMA, and by extension Trump, to look bad. She didn't acknowledge a single thing he said. As soon as he shot down one point, she moved right on to the next. She never, ever, said "I stand corrected". or anything along those lines. Right down the Trump hit list.

"I'm surprised you didn't say she was shrieking, unhinged, depraved and otherwise morally bankrupt"

She wasn't shrieking, she was very calm. She was being an azzhole, but calm.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:23 PM   #69
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
"Andrea Mitchell works for MSNBC"

Correct, thanks.

"The entire reason FEMA exists is to compensate for local government that's expected to break down. "

That's correct. But a hurricane death count, doesn't indicate that FEMA failed. It indicates the local officials failed. Especially if the death count is exacerbated by a crumbling infrastructure and electrical grid, etc.

"Was there a single unreasonable question?"

Several.

asking how FEMA's efforts could be considered favorable, given the death count. That's on local officials.

She was wrong about who owns the electrical grid, she made a big deal out of the nothingburger about who is "certified" to do what, she made a big deal out of the nohtingburger (according to the director) that was 10M getting diverted from FEMA to ICE. The whole intervie wwas designed for Mitchell to make FEMA, and by extension Trump, to look bad. She didn't acknowledge a single thing he said. As soon as he shot down one point, she moved right on to the next. She never, ever, said "I stand corrected". or anything along those lines. Right down the Trump hit list.

"I'm surprised you didn't say she was shrieking, unhinged, depraved and otherwise morally bankrupt"

She wasn't shrieking, she was very calm. She was being an azzhole, but calm.
Actually Jim, I thought she asked questions that I had heard in the news, he answered them very well, she accepted his answers and moved on to the next question.
Is that she asked the questions the problem?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-14-2018, 09:34 PM   #70
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Actually Jim, I thought she asked questions that I had heard in the news, he answered them very well, she accepted his answers and moved on to the next question.
Is that she asked the questions the problem?
The problem, is that every single question she asked, was designed to make FEMA look bad. They blew it in PR, how dare they say otherwise, 50% of their workers aren't certified, money taken from their budget and given to ICE, more about Puerto Rico.

Nothing about how noble the mission of FEMA is, nothing about what we cam do to help, nothing about the selfless heroes that work there, and all the people they help, nothing even about what can be done to make Florence as tams as possible.

Nothing.

Just a Trump hit piece, every syllable.

Nothing wrong with asking challenging questions. But how about an attaboy for what they are trying to do? How about apologizing for how wrong all of her presumptions were?

Pathetic.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #71
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
The problem, is that every single question she asked, was designed to make FEMA look bad. They blew it in PR, how dare they say otherwise, 50% of their workers aren't certified, money taken from their budget and given to ICE, more about Puerto Rico.

Nothing about how noble the mission of FEMA is, nothing about what we cam do to help, nothing about the selfless heroes that work there, and all the people they help, nothing even about what can be done to make Florence as tams as possible.

Nothing.

Just a Trump hit piece, every syllable.

Nothing wrong with asking challenging questions. But how about an attaboy for what they are trying to do? How about apologizing for how wrong all of her presumptions were?

Pathetic.
What was the first sentence she spoke?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-19-2018, 05:46 PM   #72
PaulS

One of the wettest we've ever seen from the standpoint of water".😂
Old 09-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #73
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
One of the wettest we've ever seen from the standpoint of water".😂
that's why they call her Stormy Daniels