Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 06-06-2004, 06:05 PM   #1
Rapt Tite

Rodbuilders

I'm planning a get together for experienced rodbuilders, mid experienced rodbuilders and anyone who just wants to build there first rod ! I'm hoping to put together a "seminar" type event with no cost to the willing to attend. Its scheduled for july 17th at the intersection of rt 12 and I-190. A BBQ will be provided, and a fishing trip is in the works....let me know if your interested..keywords: cheap, fun ,gathering.

Anyone interested?
Rapt Tite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 06:09 PM   #2
Billy 40

I'll post here to. Coming from NY, and am interested as long as I can get a ride, which I'm working on.

This is a great opportunity for all the undercover NERDs. lol.
Billy 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:22 PM   #3
bud8fan

Rapt Tite!

Myself and Fishaholic very interested depending on events leading up to that date!!

Coming from RI

Russ
bud8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 01:41 PM   #4
Fishaddict
Hi..I'm Bob and I have an addiction

Sounds sweet...... Am interested and will keep watching for the info as we get closer.. The 17th is clear on my schedule.
Fishaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 02:03 PM   #5
Iwannakeeper
fishing the pacific

Send a message via AIM to Iwannakeeper
I am sooo there.

Keep in mind - I haven't even built a rod yet.

Few questions
1. What can I bring for the Bar-b-q?
2. What should I bring as far as rod building supplies?
3. What else should I be aware of?

I am really looking forward to this event, it will take a team of Clydesdales and pack of rabid dogs to keep me away.

Keep lines wet and tight in the pacific
Iwannakeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
Billy 40

Quote:
Keep in mind - I haven't even built a rod yet.
That's fine, people will be there to answer any questions you may have. Hopefully there will be rods there, adn it will give you ideas. HAving a gathering of this sort also makes it easier to have further contact with more experianced builders, where you may have a question in the future which needs more than an internet answer, at least now you'll know a few guys in your area who are willing to help show you. PLus, Rookies like food as much as Verterans.

Quote:
1. What can I bring for the Bar-b-q?
I'll let Mike answer this one, I think he has everything covered, unless you only eat Soy products, lol.

Quote:
2. What should I bring as far as rod building supplies?
I don't think you'll need to bring anything. You're not going to build a rod, it;s more of a get to meet other builders in your area, have a good time, and BS about rods. I'm sure people will bring rods, which will lead to questions - any questions which need a visual or I'll show you how answer, I believe Mike has a full shop where we can break his stuff....er... I mean show you how.

Quote:
3. What else should I be aware of?
http://69.93.108.13/StriperTalk/show...threadid=15150

I'm sure Rapt will have more answers. I'm just on a sugar high at work and needed something to type, lol.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:45 PM   #7
Iwannakeeper
fishing the pacific

Thanks Billy - I appreciate all of the information.

As you know starting out anything takes knowledge. And if my knowledge of rod building could be measured in electricity, I couldn't light a bulb.

where most of you guys could power a city.

-IWK.

Old 06-07-2004, 04:44 PM   #8
Rapt Tite

Now this thing is going somewhere!!! I hope all can make it. IWANNAKEEPER...as of now, just bring yourself...with the rodbuilders already in attendence you will end up with all the "electricity" you can handle.
Today on the phone with MikeX, I was asked "why you doing this?"................mainly because I've been to a seminar and met other builders, and had a good time. These days most of these events cost too much, and are too far away. I really liked Billys idea of NERDS and the contest/competition sort of thing, with an emphasis on Northeast Rodbuilders (Billy, once you cross the CT/MA border you become a NERB.lol) Anyhow...plain and simple, I want to meet other rodbuilders, I want to share what I've learned, I want to learn from others, I want to make a new rodbuilders life alot easier than I had it ,with books and trial by error. We'll see what happens, its not my gathering...its yours.

Joe Meehan at American Tackle has gratiously offered a door prize ( blank,holo's,and reel seat) unfortunately he'll be unable to attend due to prior engagments. Thank you Joe.

I'll keep people posted as things progress. RT
Old 06-07-2004, 06:05 PM   #9
Iwannakeeper
fishing the pacific

Ok...if you guys are going to start a NERD club. We need t-shirts.....someone with better artistic ability than me.

Old 06-07-2004, 06:22 PM   #10
Rapt Tite

Can't catch a keeper with a NERD shiirt...its been proven.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:27 PM   #11
Billy 40

plain and simple, I want to meet other rodbuilders, I want to share what I've learned, I want to learn from others, I want to make a new rodbuilders life alot easier than I had it ,with books and trial by error. We'll see what happens, its not my gathering...its yours.

WELL SAID!

I had it easy, since I've only been building for 4 years. I want to see new techniques, different styles, anything that might give me an idea to do something different on one of my rods. I also enjoy sharing tips and anything I've come across with other people.

I also feel if done right with enough involvement from everyone who takes part, the cost should be next to nothing - no dues or fees or anything like that. No voting who's the PResident, the Secratary - just have fun, nothing more nothing less.

I can't catch a keeper with any shirt I own, don't blame the NERDs. THat's not true, I'm the best at catching borderline keepers and non-desireable fish. I'm so desperate to catch a big fish, I'm going to use my wife's rod tomorrow when I go Fluking. NEver mind that I have teh same rod as her, she used her's once, caught a 7# fish, my biggest ever is only 5 1/2, and I've fished one or 2 times more than her probably 1 or 2 hundred). lol.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:22 AM   #12
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Yeah but billy, only blackfish count right... the rest is just icing on the cake till November...

What am I saying... it's striper season, I'll think blackfish in October...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 07:28 AM   #13
maddog2020

MikeX routed me this way.

Sounds like fun. It isn't too far from me.

I can bring stuff for the BBQ - I'm flexible. Let me know as we get closer to that time.

Ray 'md2020'
maddog2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 06:56 PM   #14
DRUMCORPFAN
nightstalker

DRUMCORPFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:36 PM   #15
Rapt Tite

MD2020, thanks for your interest in this gathering, and thanks for the food offer. I'll let you know when the date gets closer on what's needed in the food department. Good to hear Mike X got you interested. Everyones involvement is appreciated a great deal..........DCF, great to see even more interest. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:40 PM   #16
Rapt Tite

Thanks to everyone that attended...I had a great time and I hope you did to. Just a BBQ, just a bunch of rodbuilders trying to cover as much as possible in a short amount of time...might just do it again...I'm planning on attending the event in NJ in late fall along with a few others that attended this one...purely on the assumption that when the bass leave here..they head south.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:08 PM   #17
fishaholic18
Finally

Great time! Thanks Mike, looking forward to doing it again.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:43 PM   #18
Iwannakeeper
fishing the pacific

When and where is the NJ deal?

I am interested in going to another one of these. It answered as many questions as it posed for me. But a great time was had, my first blank was purchased. and I am ready to roll.

thanks again Mike
-IWK

Old 07-21-2004, 07:14 AM   #19
maddog2020

I haven't been down to NJ since about '85 when I was at Rutgers for a biology conclave.

If you need some company, Mike/RT - send me a pm.

IWAK - what blank did you get?

BTW - whose owned that big pool cue of a blank (graphite) that was around 8' long with at least a size 24 tip???

Ray 'md2020'
maddog2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:03 AM   #20
Iwannakeeper
fishing the pacific

not sure who the blank's maker is. I bought one of those 10 ft black blanks off of the table.

-IWK

Old 07-21-2004, 11:54 AM   #21
doyle007

i read on another board that the NJ get together is set for saturday, november 13th. the location is somewhere in north jersey (bayville or mantaloking i think). meet at 5am and do some surf fishing, followed by a bbq at mike's house, and some rod building stuff. it should be a good time. i'll be there.

Ranked World's Greatest Dad by J.D. Powers & Associates
doyle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:09 PM   #22
Billy 40

Doyle - it will be posted here as well, just let the details get ironed out a little bit more. I didn't mean to leave anyone on the different boards out, I was just posting on the boards I visit most. I don't like posting teh same thing on every board, that usually smells like Spam, so when I do post teh info regarding teh specifics & an itenrary, it will be a one time deal on 4 or 5 boards.

Please feel free to let people know any ideas you have to make the gathering better. Whether it be regarding teh fishing "contest", the food, or any rodbuilding topics you might want covered.

I do have some interesting plans, I just hope there is enough time and the weather cooperates.

IWK - I think you got a Forcast from Batson Enterprises, although I may be wrong about that.

I had a great time this past weekend, picked up a few tips, hopefully shared a few as well. I look foward to showing up for the the next New England gathering, whenever that may be. Now that we went over some of the basics, maybe we can cover some more advanced topics, spend more time setting up the rod (I do apologize for rushing through that, it's a lot easier doing that in my own environment where I'm all set up "properly") - maybe cover more threadwork, cork handles - there's a TON of topics we could cover - but YOU have to let everyone know what YOU'RE interested in seeing.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:36 PM   #23
fishaholic18
Finally

Predator

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 05:08 PM   #24
Rapt Tite

Ray...the FAT blank was mine..CGBT96XH...popular rod for heavy jigging for groundfish on party boats...very similar to a hand held hoist when you put a reel on it.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:54 PM   #25
Billy 40

I knew tht blank was familiar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weaplance1-lg.gif
Views:	191
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	7394  
Old 07-22-2004, 10:57 PM   #26