Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks

How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks How-To's, Tips & Tricks plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) **** Please Do Not Start Discussions or Ask New Questions in Here **** This is for popular Threads To be moved here for easy access & discussion. Post all new questions in main Stripertalk Forum

Old 02-11-2003, 05:16 PM   #1
mrmacey
Fishing Chauffeur

Send a message via AIM to mrmacey
i have a question

what is the difference with bait casters and spinners before i go getting myself into something thats gonna break the bank again!! i figure its a whole new style of fishing but ive never used a conventional for casting ive used the big reels for bottom but nothing like this little abu what kind of rod compliments this reel i really have no clue its like casting, trolling, jigging,chunking,plugs,eels,is there one rod and reel set up that handles more than one style!
mrmacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 05:36 PM   #2
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

They both have their place in the world of fishing. I use conv. most of the time , but I do alot of live bait. chunking heads,no lead, eels, large swimming plugs, an some lead head jigging.
spinning on very windy nights, lt plugs, and at the end of the season I pick up the spinning for some eel fishing cause I get lazy.

If I was going to have only one conv. outfit it would have to be the 9' batson 1088 with a calcutta 400. the worst thing anyone can do is to buy a cheap conv. reel, you'll get nothing but agravation and get pissed off at it an call it quits. an not to say anything of wasteing your $$$.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 06:05 PM   #3
mrmacey
Fishing Chauffeur

i found this abu 5000

for short money is it worth getting a good rod to compliment this ill be useing it more on the boat so 9ft is kinda big i figure ill use braid, use this for jigging fluke or stripers like thames type fishing,light gear fishing, i like the idea of rubber split tales with this!! thanks! for info a rod in the 7ft range with backbone to pull a 20 lber! is probably what im looking for!
Old 02-12-2003, 07:37 AM   #4
Mr. Kav
I'll go fishing tuna or later

I rarely find the need to cast far away from the boat and the 7ft and 7.5 fters that i use are more than adequit for me to throw a chunk into the rocks, troll, and bottom fish. just my .02
Mr. Kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 10:02 PM   #5
IFG
Rocket Launcher

Send a message via AIM to IFG Send a message via Yahoo to IFG
Post Response to question

Times

in your situation sir I would go with a heavey conventional with a good level wind and medium retrieve and stick to a conventional
make sure your line selection matches your application and reel selection and you will find your boat filled with big fish

Last edited by IFG; 02-22-2003 at 10:05 PM..

Two Changes and It's Legal
IFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 07:04 AM   #6
mrmacey
Fishing Chauffeur

i think i found the perfect rod for this

got it at the boat show for 10.00 a southbend says 10-25 lb line weight medium action graphite nice light 6ft rod would you guys put braid or just mono on this!!
Old 02-23-2003, 09:19 AM   #7
Fishpart
Keep The Change

I like braid. You just need to be careful becuse the braid can overload the rod a lot faster than mono, just keep the tip below 45 degrees and use the drag and you should be OK.

If you plan on fishing plastic and jigs like GS you should definitely put braid on, it helps with the feel.
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 12:14 AM   #8
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

..MrMacey...

..you wanna be careful with SouthBend. I've bought some SouthBend products in times of crisis...<<hardware>> and it's failed me more than once.

example: Swivels busting open on fish . . .

..it don't pay not to be prepared. Bloofish leader sleeves opening up on fish...losing PLUGS!!

..be careful, you get what you pay for -

Bloo

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 08:36 AM   #9
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

MM - do you know yet what you want to do? What are you going to fish? You say jiggin like the Thames. You really won't do much of that other than in winter at the Thames. If you are looking to throw lighter plugs or plastics to surface bass & blues, use spinning. If you are going to be drifting bigger baits, big plugs and some casting with these, a good conventional is almost always better for big fish. But there is a learning curve if you intend to really cast them. And you'll want a spinner to back it up as you learn

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 08:58 AM   #10
mrmacey
Fishing Chauffeur

hey john

i think i got a rod for anything now, from catching little macks to 100lb tuna, boat or surf, what ever the application calls for, now i only have one problem, i have to learn how to use all this stuff the right way this bait caster is disposable 18.00 for whole set up one birds nest over it goes!! lol! but i can say one thing im prepared this season i got 2 more things i want a good fishfinder and my garage for boat and ill be complete for at least 10 minutes! i found a gps on ebay i hope its worth it APELCO RAYMARINE RATHEON GPS 11
got it for 75.00 handheld talked to seller he says he used it nothing but good feedbacks on him so ill see when it comes but im ready when we going out!! ill bring my 500lb worth of gear and we'll go learn lol!!

Last edited by mrmacey; 02-24-2003 at 09:12 AM..
Old 02-24-2003, 09:12 AM   #11
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

MM braid rules and the Thames is about the only time I'm not fishing it. My usual set up is 30# spiderwire braid, to an 80 lb spro swivel, 24-34 inch 30 lb segar fluro leader to the hook/jig.

Speaking of braid, anyone have any experience with Tuffline, I got a spool of 30# at the raffle and it looks good, but looks can be....
Got Stripers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 09:25 AM   #12
mrmacey
Fishing Chauffeur

i dont know whats up

but every night i let her out she comes home with this!! dont know what shes doin out there but i tell her YOU GO GIRL!!! daddy needs braid!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2004_1227image0008.jpg (44.5 KB, 274 views)
Old 02-24-2003, 09:27 AM   #13
Fishpart
Keep The Change

MM, Can I babysit your dog for a while???????????????
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 10:10 AM   #14
denis

Never liked babbysitting,but any puppies on the way????
denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 12:28 PM   #15
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

gs....tuffline is what I use for cod fishing/jigging.....its good to me.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 03:16 PM   #16
MAC

Chances are if the rod only cost $10.00 it has aluminum eyes. Braid will eat through these in a couple of outings.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 12:02 PM   #17
"uffah!!"

Eel for Striped Bass

What type of casting equipment do I need to use these eels for Striped Bass?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im001588.jpg (53.0 KB, 119 views)
"uffah!!" is offline   Reply With Quote