Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 11-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #31
Ryan560

That table is flawless, you have some serious talent. Looks like Maple? Everything looks well thought out on the plug bag as well. Amazing work George. I keep coming back to this thread, had to post again
Ryan560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #32
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

The table is mahogany, and yeah I carved the feet, but considering how long it took me to build it, it is more a testament to perseverance trumping incompetence than to talent.

These plug bags are not hard to build. Indeed there are some strong parallels to building furniture/cabinets. You make a plan, measure, cut, and assemble. Sewing (at least what I'm doing) is actually much more forgiving (and easier to fix) than joinery. The problem is the start up costs, which are substantial, and getting used to operating a machine meant for people who know what they are doing already. If you can build a plug, you can build a bag.....provided you are sucker enough give it a shot.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #33
Eric Roach
Big E

Wow -- very impressive. Perfect size, with just the necessities. I like where the pliers sheath is, and I like that it doesn't have the side flaps.

Looks like an entry-level, small, walking foot sewing machine is at least as much as a ZeeBaas.
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #34
Pete F.
Canceled

Very nice bag and table. If I was going to make a bag, I would ask around and find a boat canvas guy. Get the bag all cut out and ready to sew, the stitching is a couple hours work at most. Lot less than a commercial sewing machine.
I'm pretty happy with my Bronco bag but have a few more modifications I want to make to it.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #35
fishbones

I just saw this thread and that bag is awesome! Very nice job and I really like that color. From the pictures, you'd think that was made by a professional.

Oh, and the table is nice, too.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #36
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Nice man purse George!!!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

But its design is European!

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #37
Charlie M

The bag is beautiful! So many questions...
Charlie M is offline   Reply With Quote