Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Diggin Jiggin

messing around w/ spooks.

It's been awfully quite in here so I thought I'd post some spook prototypes I made to try next year. I made 3 different sizes to match up with 3 different rods. I used a couple different weighting schemes, hopefully there's a winner in there somewhere.

Large ones are made of 2" white cedar and are around 3.5 oz. Medium ones are ayc and just under 3 oz.
Small ones are basswood and around 2 1/4 oz.

The small pink mac was a disappointment. I tried using a sharpie to do the mack lines as I didn't have a mack stencil that small. It came out like crap so I painted it white and started all over. Made a stencil and repainted it & it looked great. Then when I epoxied it, the sharpie bled thru...

I had some trouble with the sys 3 clearcoat. usually I have good luck with that, but it seemed like it was setting up really fast when I was applying it. Almost like it was getting a film on it before I'd even finish a plug. I remember some guys had problems with it last year, I'll have to try a search and see if I can find what the problem was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0872.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	44325   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0873.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	44326   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0874.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	44327  
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Those are sweet man, love the largest size.

Instead of using a sharpie buy a paint pen, they work great
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

yes I am having that problem again this year. I have had to do 2 coats a few times to rectify the screw ups. I tried something today where i mixed it up and let it sit for 5 minutes, mixed again as the film started and lets sit another 5 minutes. The little hardened pieces that are the result of the film can be mixed back in to the mixture, as was told to me by the company a couple years ago, and i kept doing that until they stopped and then applied the epoxy in as thin a coat as i could get. Probably 15 minutes after i first started. PIA but it seems like it worked better and I still feel the finish is better than any others, wear wise, I have tried so I trudge on. With all the mixing you will get tiny tiny bubbles in your mix but most will dissipate and you can always use some flame. Heck on a few plugs I am even using a regular can of Urethane brushed on in 3 coats and I kind of like that , with a lot less stress, and will see how it holds up this summer.

BTW nice plugs

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Ryan560

Really nice spooks! I like that needle in the last picture as well.
Ryan560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

System Three has been a disaster for me since I bought a new batch.
I let it sit 20" after I mix it, then skim off the film that forms. I still have a major fisheye issue, however. Two coats doesn't work for me, too much weight, so I'm thinking hard of moving on to something else.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
WoodyCT

Proff, try spray Helmsman. ;-)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
saltyric

those look slick.....nice work

Fish Rule!
saltyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
ecduzitgood
time to go

Nice job

You could always paint the Mackerel pattern by hand, although I am sure the fish won't mind the bleed through
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
eskimo

great looking stuff digging. I like that rocket shaped plug above the tape as well.

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Lower

Nice stuff DJ. I built a bunch last year, varied the weighting and line tie on each. Was fun to see how they differed. Look forward to catching at plugfest...hope you plan on being there.
Lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
Diggin Jiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
System Three has been a disaster for me since I bought a new batch.
I let it sit 20" after I mix it, then skim off the film that forms. I still have a major fisheye issue, however. Two coats doesn't work for me, too much weight, so I'm thinking hard of moving on to something else.
George I'm having the fish eye problem too. I end up going back and putting more on to cover them up but then it gets too heavy. Rather than putting them on my spinner I did a few small batches where I just hung them in my heat box and flipped them a couple of times and atleast that way all the excess drips off.

I usually warm up my plugs and the epoxy before applying it but tonight I tried it cold just to try it, but it didn't make much of a difference.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #12
JFigliuolo

I know S3 is tough stuff... but DAMN it's a PITA for you guys who use it...

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

we just like being miserable, if it wasn't that we would find something else to whine about. I am actually thinking about using e tex again but am trying something else now that is very stress free, actually fun. Not sure how it will hold up but is looks nice and was used by other builders in the day. Fishing it will be the test and if it is pretty good I will say screw the epoxy. At this point I am sick of the fun being sucked out of the process and if this remedies this I will take a plug that doesn't wear like iron, but good enough, after all it is a wooden plug and will wear and I can and have accepted that fact. I need to put some fun back into this, besides I got 100's of plugs waiting paint and epoxy. Been stock piling them for a few years. but have been hesitant on finishing them because of the non consistency of my selection of epoxy. One day nice next day suck. So to conclude I am using a less durable product but fun and if I accept it than anyone I give plugs to will have to accept it to, beside I am probably way more fussy than they are anyway. I don't care if they wear out I like to make more and it has to be fun. Who has a hobby that pisses them off? only a fool

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 02-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
eskimo

what better way to enjoy the fruits of your labor other then to slab epoxy on that fish eyes or bubbles or both, then get upset, hit it with a torch and have it go away just to come back ten fold?

I decided it's not my fault anymore. I've gotten a whole group of plugs to come out great (once) and thought that if I mimic the process and not change ANYTHING I would be in the clear. same brushes (ordered tons and threw out all the rest), same room temp set a hour before, same mixing time set with a timer, same applying method. Hell I even comb my hair the same way as it was the one time everything went smoothly. WRONG

controlled variables is BS

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
Lower

WOW..so all Paul's epoxied plugs have just become collectors items and have doubled in value!
Lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #16
mfm22

Great looking batch !

I've only used Etex and just flip 'em . I keep it real low tech so when imperfections show up I have an excuse

I've been lucky to have used same etex last 2 yrs - no issues .
But I'm dreading this years batch...putting off paint and clear coat till I work up the courage
mfm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #17
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

glad to hear I am not alone, although I knew that. I want it to be fun and I want it to be easy. Guess I want everything. For the guys who have luck at it and find it easy, as I know several, I hate you. I might just start fishing my plugs with a naked finish. Got to be more fun.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:31 PM   #18
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lower View Post
WOW..so all Paul's epoxied plugs have just become collectors items and have doubled in value!

does that mean I will catch twice as many fish with his old plugs?

Good luck with the spooks Dave
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #19
BasicPatrick
M.S.B.A.

Location: I live in the Villiage of Hyannis in the Town of Barnstable in the Commonwealth of MA
Send a message via AIM to BasicPatrick Send a message via Yahoo to BasicPatrick
Paul,

If you are going to start fresh with a new finish I will gladly volunteer to get those old plugs you made out of your way. I promise to preserve their integrity as you venture into the future.

"It is impossible to complain and to achieve at the same time"--Basic Patrick (on a good day)

BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #20
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

I still like devcon 2 ton, for all it's faults,it has been pretty good to me.

60 % of the time, it works every time.
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #21
Diggin Jiggin

I epoxy sealed the outside of some basswood blanks tonight just to toughen them up a little and I tried keeping the mixed epoxy warm and that seemed to take care of the issue where it was setting up and getting the film that we had to keep mixing. I usually fill one of those square coffee cans with hot water and sit the bottles of epoxy in it before mixing just so they mix better.

After I mixed it tonight I flipped the lid of the coffee can over and put a piece of tin foil on it then I set the lid on the coffee can full of hot water. I mixed 2 batches and the hot water kept it warm and both batches stayed nice and thin the whole time.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #22
saltydog

Diggin Jiggin that pink mac spook
GOOD LUCK GOOD BUILDIN

saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #23
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

that is funny I would think the heat would make that situation even more prevalent. I do my epoxying in my sun room and it is usually very warm and I was thinking it is too warm in there and was causing this situation or at least contributing to the kicking of the epoxy prematurely with that skim over skin. I just don't know anymore and you were only sealing the plugs, if you were putting it over your best paint job you have ever done I bet it would come out like crap, never fails for me. I don't have any problem sealing it as I rub it on with gloved hands and it covers great but over a paint job it is a crap shoot for me sometimes great sometimes a disappointment.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #24
Moses

Dave - I'd like to throw some tuna grade hooks on the large one and try them out for tuna this year!!!

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote