Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 09-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #1
MAC

Nothing better to do...

I've fished a certain spot in Hull for around 10 years. Always quiet going to and coming from my truck and Never leave any trash or a mess.

Last night (or rather early this morning) I get back out to my truck to find a ticket on the windsheild. (parking in a no parking zone)

Where we park there is room for 2 maybe 3 vehicles at most. There used to be a No Parking From here to Corner sign and eveyone respected that. The parking spots are on the other side of the arrow and have been used for years.

THe sign has been down for atleast 4 years (probably due to a snowplow) and everybody still respects where it used to be as far as I know. I know I do when I fish that spot.

So after finding the ticket I remove my waders and load my gear. I then walk up the street looking for a sign....... I find one that is (probably the one the plow took out )100' further up than it used to be. It is just pushed in the ground like a neighbor did it to keep fisherman away. It was leaned over at about 60 degrees and looked like it could be pulled out or pushed over by a 10 year old kid.
The post wasn't set in concrete or even attached with bolts to snap off if hit . Just a sign post pushed into the ground haphazardly. If it was pushed in a foot I would have been surprised. Though I'll never know as I left it standing as it was.

Is Hull that strapped for cash to write a parking ticket at 1:35AM..... I got one as did the fisher who was parked behind me. They know no one will fight the ticket as it isn't worth the effort for 20 bux.

Then to top it off as I'm driving away here comes the cruiser like he was on the prowl.....
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
Slingah

that blows Dave!!! that sign is not in it's right place and that neighbor placed it there last year to try and keep us out....first the fence now this...it's b.s. I tell ya...
Thank the noisy bait crew and the knuckleheads leaving the beer bottles and trash too
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Well Dave that stinks. I have gotten 2 parking tickets at boat ramps in Barnstable this year at places I have parked and launched for decades. The ramps have usually been no problem after Labor day and before Memorial day. Not this year. Heck it was even on a weekdays and there was plenty of room at these ramps. I was told by a friend,town govt. worker, that the law has always been no parking without a town sticker but never enforced in many years past, especially after labor day, but they need the revenue and the ticket writer needs to show he is worth being on the payroll so no more free ride for non residents, anytime. SO be aware guys if you frequent Barnstable ramps,which include Cotuit, Osterville, Centerville, etc.., even the real obscure crappy ramps that I use. You will be ticketed $25.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

That's the MA way. I used to use a nice ramp in Cotuit, park in a friends driveway. This wee I got a notice from Cotuit for tax on the boat as it was seen repeatedly parked in the driveway of his house, WTF...
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Dave I think a direct fone call to the Chief would be in order. I'd tell him you're paying the ticket but want to bring this to his attention. At the worst he's going to tell you tough luck. At the best they may tear up the ticket. And I'm betting if you tell him your going to call the town clerk for a clarification of the exact ruling of where the sign belongs that the next time you go down there the sign is reset and moved to it's proper place...

They have to have a exact location listed in the town laws of where that sign belongs they can't just arbitrarily stick a sign anywhere...
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Allow me to add my .02 cents here Dave!!! I got a %$%$%$%$in ticket too!!! 1st for having my vehicle parked in the "wrong direction"!!!!!! OK...shame on me....$15 for that......my bad!!!! I will pay that as its my bad......been parking there just like that for 10 years too.....never a problem, cops always stop ask me how the fishing is......never a word of a problem from them!!! Well.....they also wrote me up for an additional $20 for "parking in a no parking zone"......but I was not in a no parking zone!!!!! I am about as friggin fum ing mad as I can get right now!!!! So tomorrow I am going to take some pictures of the spot and take them to the police station and give them my .02 cents!!! For what that will be worth I don't know but I am pissed off!!!! I have a good relationship with the gentleman that owns the house in front of which I park and he has no problem with me parking there!!!!! He even said to my buddy this morning (he did not know I got a ticket there last night) that we should just park in front of his house!!!!!! Slow night is right........what a pain in the ass!!!!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I will be fighting the "Parked in a no parking zone" portion of my ticket!!!!! Pisses me off they want to start charging us for a permit to fish the salt and we can't even get anywhere near the friggin water!!!!! SOB's!!!!!

Old 09-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Dave check yer pm's.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #9
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Get this one.

Back in may I took a run down to New Jersey to pick up something.
Coming back on the Jersey turnpike I come up on a toll and by mistake a pull into a speed pass lane.
Once I realize i'm in the wrong lane I backed up and move over to a cash lane, it's about midnight so traffic wasn't an issue.
I pay the $1 toll and keep going home.
About 3 weeks ago I get a notice of violation from New Jersey for violation of going through speed pass lane.
Ticket is $1, plus a $25 administration fee ($26 total )

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #10
Jimbo

I went thru the EZPass lane by accident also and got the same ticket. Living in NJ you'd think I'd know better, but a guy came out and put a cone in my lane and when I went left I hit the EZ Pass. Anyway, I went on line to their site and figured out how to contested it. I obviously had the ticket still since in the speed lane it says don't back up keep going. I enclosed a copy of the toll ticket and sent a check for the amount from the GWB where I got on to 8A where I got off. I got a nice letter back saying they appreciated my honesty and waived the ticket. It's worth a shot.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #11
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

The person with whom you appeal a ticket to is generally someone in the town administrators office. Can be his assistant/secretary like it is in our town. I find it difficult to imagine they are being forced to write those tickets, except in Barnstable. In Barnstable they have the retired cops go out and write those tickets for part time work. I know I got one and will forever remember his name. Paid it also. It is a real cheap shot in the ealry morning hours. The only other thing I can see happening is thier are some rookies Sgt.'s out there busting the patrolmens backside about doing something on the shift.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #12
Adam_777

Sucks but it's been going on everywhere.They need money and if they can make a buck off fisherman parking in a spot that they've parked for years they will.It's an easy buck for them.Sad and I agree with this SW license seems to be hitting at a bad time.RI has had more signs put up this year than any other I've lived here.Now I have to pay to fish in state while they limit my access more and more ? Sad times
Adam_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #13
vineyardblues

I thought you quit fishing Dave
And what lure would you have on at the end of your line

VB
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Its gotta be illegal to move a road sign ... That home owner should be slapped with a violation ..
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #15
BEETLE

Mac, I am familiar w/ spot, I asked a cop that I ran across last week - what gives ? that was always cool to park before... Seems the surfers that frequent the area really ticked off the neighborhood, and had built a "hut" on the beach, came in numbers, noise, ect. ect. .
So now we all pay.
Cop sez we can park 1/2 mile down at the end of the street (north)
and hoof from there.
BEETLE is offline   Reply With Quote