Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 02-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
fishaholic18
Finally

Cassel traded to Chiefs

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/28/chie...de-for-cassel/

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Man they are going to owe us a lot. I am happy for him I hope he does well, and I hope Tom is as good as he was.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
rivsie11

Initial reports say all we got is 34 pick this year for Vrabel and Cassel

rivsie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
Bigcat

You got to be kidding, looks like the Pats got hosed?
Unless Kraftey is looking to save some bucks? I don't think Patriot Place is doing so well it was like a ghost town last week when I was there?

Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
Bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

1st round pick that doesn't cost much for a needle in a haystack player nobody respected until a few weeks into the system? Probably a round 3 or something too? I don't know about hosed... Wait for all the details I 'spose

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
striperman36
Old Guy

Unreal, what is the secret sauce here?
Brady healthy? His been Gizelle'd no way.
But I'd take it too if I had to, you know for the team and all
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

i sure hope that we get more than a high #2 for both of them.....maybe expanding it by shipping a te to kc for tony g?????

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
fishaholic18
Finally

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
JohnnyD

I'm willing to bet it was a cap issue. That Pats have been known for "losing out on the deal" by trading good (read: expensive) players for what some see as "just a draft pick." However, looking at the Patriots success in drafting quality players and then coaching them into becoming starts, I see this as an even trade.

I agree with the JohnR, Cassel was a relative unknown before this season. Hardly even played his last couple years in college. In my opinion, it would be difficult to demand a lot of value for him.

Cassel has a chit-ton of potential. But just like I say to my employees about potential clients, "potential doesn't pay the bills."

Also, the Pats like to leave cap room for early season acquisitions.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
Backbeach Jake

I think that in this economy NFL management will take what they can get. Remember that their sheets and forecasts are those of the movers and shakers, they have a feel for what's coming later in the year and they're taking what they can get. Tommy had better be healed.....

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #11
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Cassel was a product of the system and with only 1 full year and a great bunch of players......he had a fantastic season for sure....but I see him toiling at best in KC! I wish him well though I do not expect to see a repeat of this past season.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #12
Raven

matt Cassel

a moov- ah and a shake-ah ..........~ adios amigo...
party on dude....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
fishbones

The Pats will be fine. They would rather clear up cap space than have 2 guys making starting QB money. Keep in mind that Brady, Moss, Thomas and Seymour are all making big money against the cap. These moves allow them to go after a defensive back or LB either via free agency or trade on draft day.

Also, Am I the only one who thought Cassell should have been cut after the pre-season he had? When he was playing with scrubs, he stunk. He played very well when he had guys like Faulk, Welker and Moss to throw the ball to. He'll probably be pretty good in KC, but he won't be as good as he was this past year. And if Brady's not healthy to start the year, they can bring in a backup for a couple of games if neccessary. The Pats will be fine.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

I waited a while before weighing in on this because I didn't want to knee-jerk react to the deal. Let's put this in perspective. Cassel was basically "found money." A career backup in whom the Patriots had little financial investment initially. Then Brady goes down, Cassel takes the Pats to 11-5 and the ONLY way to get value out of Cassel (a free agent) was to franchise him at $14.7 million for one year and then he's an FA again. So I like the trade, it's 34th overall (can get good value there).

However, even now I think it's too quick to judge. By including Vrabel, the Pats just cleared $17+ million in cap room and they're going to spend it. So if the deal means they resign Wilfork, Seymour, etc. and can grab a significant free agent (Julius Peppers?), Patriots nation will once again be issuing currency with the motto "In Bill We Trust."

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
I waited a while before weighing in on this because I didn't want to knee-jerk react to the deal. Let's put this in perspective. Cassel was basically "found money." A career backup in whom the Patriots had little financial investment initially. Then Brady goes down, Cassel takes the Pats to 11-5 and the ONLY way to get value out of Cassel (a free agent) was to franchise him at $14.7 million for one year and then he's an FA again. So I like the trade, it's 34th overall (can get good value there).

However, even now I think it's too quick to judge. By including Vrabel, the Pats just cleared $17+ million in cap room and they're going to spend it. So if the deal means they resign Wilfork, Seymour, etc. and can grab a significant free agent (Julius Peppers?), Patriots nation will once again be issuing currency with the motto "In Bill We Trust."
Well said. My roommate and I had a similar discussion earlier that went pretty much exactly like this. While Billy B may have has some in game gaffs, I have agreed with just about every move, trade, acquisition the Pats of made. Head-to-head, I do not think there is another coach in the NFL that can come close to the skills and foresight he has shown when coaching a team. Consistency is key and he has consistently put out an incredible product - just sometimes the guys didn't show up to play.

It is of no surprise that Cassel was a complete unknown before this year and turned out to be a spectacular QB.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote