Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-23-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Nothin' to see here...

Wow...you'd think with all the hype about her lack of talking to the press and people that are harping on her lack of foriegn diplomacy she would embrace this as an opportunity to prove them both wrong....not to smart if you ask me.

Now is this standard operating procedure when meeting diplomats, where you don't allow the press in....just curious if they also may n=be making a mountain out of a mole hill over this.

Palin bans reporters from meetings with leaders
By SARA KUGLER, Associated Press Writer
18 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin is banning reporters from her first meetings with world leaders, allowing access only to photographers and a television crew.

Palin plans to meet Afghan President Hamid Karzai and Colombian President Alvaro Uribe in New York on Tuesday.

The TV producer, print and wire reporters in the press pool that follows the Alaska governor were told at the start of the day they would not be admitted with the photographers and camera crew when they are taken in to photograph the meetings.

At least two news organizations, including The Associated Press, objected and were told that the decision had already been made and was not subject to discussion.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
PaulS

Obviously she thinks it will not go well and confirm the inexperience label people have on her.

The issue with her is that she is smart and experienced in front of a camera so if she can control the questions, etc, she will come off great. Its when people throw questions/issues at her that she has not been coached on (the bush doctrine). It will be a race to see if they can get her up to speed before the debates on everything people might throw at her at the debates.

Frankly, its an embarrasment that a VP candidate is not doing all the news shows to show what she is made of. She is only a heart beat away from the most imp. position in the world.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
JohnnyD

My understanding was that these types of events are typically huge PR opportunities for up and coming political candidates. I do not believe this is S.O.P.

I think this continues on with the previously poor stage act where the McCain campaign has tried to create the illusion of "open engagement" for reporters. There has been obvious exclusivity towards heavily Right Wing favored reporting agencies. Also, in some open forum situations, Palin has yet to display a capability to effectively manage her responses in a politically effective and advantageous way.

Limiting the press's exposure to her is a smart choice for the McCain campaign at this point. She's been working as a poster child for them - effective when scripted or when someone else is talking about her.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
spence

When the President doesn't these types of events, the meeting is behind closed doors then they'll both step out and answer questions.

I think everyone remembers the number of meetings with Tony Blair when you could see Tony wince in pain at Bush fumbling throught the questions after his articulate answer

The Bush Admin has always treated the Press as an enemy and has gone to great lengths to limit their exposure. The McCain campaign is attempting to further this and feed off of the "liberal media bias" to rally the base.

Given this, they really have no motivation to let the Press report on campaign activites. Their strategy is clearly to keep Palin in a bubble and hope the voters see her as a right wing pin-up rather than someone who's been vetted on the public stage.

-spence
Old 09-23-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
stripersnipr

The Press has proven that they are Palins enemy. She owes them nothing.

The beatings will continue until morale improves
Old 09-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I didn't say she owed them anything. just wondering since the 2 biggest knocks on her seem to be her lack of Foriegn policy and the lack of media accessibilty why she wouldn't take this opportunity to get both of those behind her.

I just think its a bad move to draw even more attention to those 2 "Inadequecies" by doing something like this...thats all

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post

Old 09-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I didn't say she owed them anything. just wondering since the 2 biggest knocks on her seem to be her lack of Foriegn policy and the lack of media accessibilty why she wouldn't take this opportunity to get both of those behind her.

I just think its a bad move to draw even more attention to those 2 "Inadequecies" by doing something like this...thats all

I see your point, but I don't think we or she should expect anything objective coming from the medias reporting of the event. It's a no win for her.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
I see your point, but I don't think we or she should expect anything objective coming from the medias reporting of the event. It's a no win for her.
Nice, so the people should vote based upon a marketing profile conjured up by the party elite, rather than any actual insight into her beliefs challenged or unchallenged.

It's time to take a leak, your bladder is full of kool-aid.

I seem to remember something said a long time ago about "shooting the messenger", but considering that conservatives like to conserve, the irony is cramping my fingers.

-spence
Old 09-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Nice, so the people should vote based upon a marketing profile conjured up by the party elite, rather than any actual insight into her beliefs challenged or unchallenged.

It's time to take a leak, your bladder is full of kool-aid.

I seem to remember something said a long time ago about "shooting the messenger", but considering that conservatives like to conserve, the irony is cramping my fingers.

-spence
Oh I get it you want press coverage so you can decide if you're going to vote for her and McCain or not. How'd that Sarah had her daughters baby thing work out for you (or whatever whacked out lie du jour it was). If I was her I wouldn't piss on the Press if their hair was on fire. And please remember you are an original card carrying member of the Kool-Aid clan so save your deflection for those who don't know better.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:06 AM   #10
spence

Quote:
Oh I get it you want press coverage so you can decide if you're going to vote for her and McCain or not. How'd that Sarah had her daughters baby thing work out for you (or whatever whacked out lie du jour it was). If I was her I wouldn't piss on the Press if their hair was on fire. And please remember you are an original card carrying member of the Kool-Aid clan so save your deflection for those who don't know better.
I wonder if you spit up at all when burping all those talking points.

Again, blame the messenger

So now the DailyKos is the media? Sounds about as honest when Bill O'Riley was blasting the "media bias" and cited The View and David Letterman as examples

What a joke.

You can't have it both ways. Either open Palin up to the mainstream press, or let them report on what's available. They are a business and the people want to know...something...anything.

Man you sound bitter

-spence
Old 09-24-2008, 07:01 AM   #11
sokinwet

A free & open press is one of the cornerstones of this country and the subverting of the press for political bias (and it sure ain't just a liberal media) and "entertainment/celebrity" reporting is something we should all be complaining about.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:39 AM   #12
Raven

shes' not even elected yet

and after the SNL skit.... she is a subject of Mockery
by the MEDIA same as Bush and everyone else

so why supply the comic cannons .....Ammo

and she doesn't want to axe her chances of getting elected
by making even the slightest mistake...

i don't blame her at all.... i think she has true grit
Old 09-24-2008, 07:48 AM   #13
Joe

In my limited experience, I've found that there are not too many policy wonks among the tiara set.
Which is not to say she can't lead.
When Reagan took office, Al Haig handed him a brief on all the dangers facing the US, it was over 500 pages.
Reagan hefted it and asked him if he could, "Pare it down a little."
Haig asked, "Certainly Mr. President, by how much?"
Reagan said "Make it one page."

Old 09-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #14
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Obama definitely does not owe O'Reilly much either and he is no jourrnalist for sure. That did not stop him from a sit down interview.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #15
EarnedStripes44

McCain held his composure on The View... and those broads really dug there heels and nails in.

Palin has yet to display a capability to effectively manage her responses in a politically effective and advantageous way
-Johnny D.

I think this concisely sums it up. She's got about as much grit as any parent at little league game, but were talking about the Vice Presidency here. I guess is doesnt matter, #^&#^&#^&#^& Cheney does not talk to the press either.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #16
spence

Wow, Joe Biden is simply smoking John McCain in a major foreign policy speech going on right now...

This is exactly the kind of stuff this campaign needs to be doing.

-spence
Old 09-24-2008, 11:12 AM   #17
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Biden is going to be an Obama nemisis

Biden likes to tell everyone everything he knows Spence. I listened to some of that and it wasn't all that spectacular. Biden puffs up Biden. And paying more taxes is your patriotic duty, not.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 09-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #18
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Biden likes to tell everyone everything he knows Spence. I listened to some of that and it wasn't all that spectacular. Biden puffs up Biden. And paying more taxes is your patriotic duty, not.
He spent nearly the entire speech talking about Obama and McCain. You obviously didn't listen to that much

-spence
Old 09-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #19
Bronko

Biden is an accident waiting to happen. He is constantly shooting himself and the campaign in the foot. Everytime they trot good ole' Joe out on stage Barak Obama's campaign hopes hinge in the balance of an off colored remark or an off the cuff statement.

Hell, Obama spent the better part of yesterday defending a commercial HE ran from Joe Biden!

How about the old "Coal" debate between Obama & Biden?

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/09/2...amas-position/

Biden is "Swift Boating" his running mate.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 09-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #20
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
Biden is an accident waiting to happen. He is constantly shooting himself and the campaign in the foot.
And yet 62% of the American people think he's qualified to be President.

I'm really not that concerned if a candidate sticks their foot in their mouth once in a while. I am concerned that the person has the aptitude to lead and command of the subject at hand.

-spence
Old 09-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #21
Bronko

rah...rah...rah...

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 09-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #22
PaulS

Palin's not appearing on any news shows or not doing any interviews is both a comment on how the repub. party views its supporters and on the supporters themselves.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #23
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
rah...rah...rah...
Actually my numbers were wrong. According to the new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll, 64% believe Biden to be qualified while only 21% think he's not.

That means even counting all the petty Biden haters out there, a plurality of McCain supports think he's a credible POTUS.

That's pretty incredible when you think about it.

-spence
Old 09-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #24
buckman

The media was in an all out frenzie to get the goods on Palin. They failed and now they want to make themselfs out to be an issue in the elections. Not the news, but the lack of mews is now the issue on some left leaning broadcast.

If you have any doubt as to the bias,I just have one word to change your thinking "Edwards"........ Is that crickets I hear?

Biden, 64% ... what did he get like 4% when running for President and that was from his own party?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #25
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Well until she opens her mouth that is all anybody is going to be able to go on, what the media says....so I think she needs to start talking and maybe make an attempt at defending what she stands for and what she wants to do for us going forward.

Instead of just holding her breath until she turns blue....

Old 09-24-2008, 02:49 PM   #26
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
maybe make an attempt at defending what she stands for and what she wants to do for us going forward.
Ask this one about dinosaurs

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"