Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #31
spence

+100

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I'd bet that there are more Injuries or Deaths because of alchohol and drug abuse due to kids having nothing better to do after school but get into trouble.....unless maybe Sports was there for them..... Or maybe other after school programs.

So can a crappy Math Teacher, or a Crappy Parent or Crappy Neighbor.....or a dozen other crappy people that will inevitably come into a kids life. I'd rather they learn how to keep going forward in spite of people like that...instead of getting sour on an entire program
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #32
Sea Dangles

Seek counseling immediately.
The system is flawed but you have issues a fishing board can't fix.
Let it go and get on with life.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #33
Raven

i think every school should have a HUGE gardening program (ie for exercise)
as an OPTION rather than all this jogging around the town crap

where you grow food for the school cafeteria so it's picked fresh, eaten fresh
and building your own salad .....is the name of the game....instead of the slop
that resembles food served in a Prison. man i hate canned peas with a passion.
to develop a real understanding of what food is... not this bastardized over processed everything is a box of brownies mentality.

Nutritional awareness and or classes should be MANDATORY only because
the vitamin and or nutrient levels of food today IS HALF what it was 20 years ago. we are energy beings that need "live" food not dead food is my point.
we as a nation have entered into the hypersensitive to all chemicals... times.

WHEN you say food to a kid today they instantly have visions of a big mac or macaroni and cheese or PIZZA... never an apple just plucked off a tree
or a strawberry picked from a patch. PUMPkins are just for decoration and carving jack o lanterns or for SMASHING!!!!

I see a trend of kids becoming thrill seeking "jackass" junkies and that is all that matters to them...forever... and they just don't realize that every injury they inflict upon themselves recklessly (to show off) today will come back to haunt them later in Life. talk about medical programs and responsibility...
~
I also think that FISHING should be officially recognized as a SPORT in schools
the same as basketball, football, and baseball and track is.....

Perception of time should be taught also ....because it changes dramatically as you age. Not one of you can say that you don't remember staring at one of those big round white wall clocks when you were in school watching the second hand move round in round in slow motion ....minutes seeming like hours.

and

How to best utilize your time as in: What can i accomplish in just ten minutes.

interesting enough is the sudden interest in the political race for the presidency of the USA that could be completely over run by the 18-21 year olds which is going to happen "eventually" and technology might just be the :key: to it happening.

whats next ..... BILLION dollar high schools? why not just strap them in a reclining chair...attach a neuro helmet and pump the education into their brains in one sitting. Schools Over ! go get a job now. bye
Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #34
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
School sports should be mandatory.
They teach respect for rules and that infractions of said rules have penalties.
They offer an outlet for hormonal driven aggression.
They teach teamwork and responsibility.
They teach respect for your opponent.
They teach respect for ones peers.
They teach respect for oneself.
With proper guidence and coaching of course.
All these qualities are sorely lacking in today's American culture.
Oh man Fred, you nailed it.
A good coach can turn a young person around and sports teach lessons in
getting up and starting over. Good thing to get knocked on your
arse once in a while.

" Choose Life "
Old 12-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #35
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
Ok fishbones I found them, I will respond first by stating this is a discussion not an argument so there are no flaws just different issues that are being twisted together.
I don't know how many injuries or death occur each year but to me public funding should not be used for school sports. Perhaps the professional sport organizations should provide the funding to cover all school sports seeing as they are the ones who benefit most.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Ed, I said your argument was flawed because you gave reasons such as kids feeling inferior, injuries and deaths for not having school sponsored sports programs. But at the same time you said that they should be privatized. If they're that bad for kids, there should be no sports allowed anywhere.

And now that I see your real reason for not liking school sports, I realize you aren't going to change your mind. You had a traumatic experience in HS and blame it on the coach and sports program. It's a shame that you couldn't change the perception people had of you over the next couple years in school and move on. I agree about seeking counseling. This is something you should have gotten past years ago and to let it still bother you this much isn't good for your well-being.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 12-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #36
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Seek counseling immediately.
The system is flawed but you have issues a fishing board can't fix.
Let it go and get on with life.
Thanks for your compassion but this site does have different areas for conversations just like this. You may or may not agree with how I see the world but you haven't walked in my shoes either. My personal experiences have shaped my mind and allow me to discuss issues openly which I think adds to the site. Should I refrain from posting my opinion in the future just to satiate the ones who don't agree with my perspective? I have a feeling some people do agree with me but consider posting the equivalent of touching the third rail, I say speak your mind and stand with your convictions.

What difference does it make whether a juvenile plays competitive sports where they are being trained to beat the other person as opposed to being taught to work with others through conditioning? Competitive sports teaches aggression and aggression isn't always a good thing, it's time to break the cycle.

This discussion has morphed into judging me rather than the issue of the cost associated with competitive sports in public schools and the impact of competitive sports on juveniles both from a physical and psychological perspective.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #37
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Ed, I said your argument was flawed because you gave reasons such as kids feeling inferior, injuries and deaths for not having school sponsored sports programs. But at the same time you said that they should be privatized. If they're that bad for kids, there should be no sports allowed anywhere.

And now that I see your real reason for not liking school sports, I realize you aren't going to change your mind. You had a traumatic experience in HS and blame it on the coach and sports program. It's a shame that you couldn't change the perception people had of you over the next couple years in school and move on. I agree about seeking counseling. This is something you should have gotten past years ago and to let it still bother you this much isn't good for your well-being.
I only said it could be privatized to allow for flexibility realizing perhaps my experiences have influenced me and extremes such as total elimination of competitive sports might be unreasonable.
Once again my issue was the cost involved with these programs and my belief that something needs to change; isn't that what the populous voted for....change Without discussions we don't move forward, stop worrying about me and get back to the issue of the cost of competitive sports.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #38
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Competition is a good thing,but it doesn't have to be spurred on by a school event.It is the responsibility of the parent to know their child and guide accordingly.I never understood the need to overdo it though. Most hockey kids are the worst as Typhoon pointed out due to odd ice hours. I think it is important for children to stay busy and to sometimes overload them with responsibilities. How they handle these burdens can shape their lives.They learn to prioritize and occasionally push themselves.Don't kid yourselves though, our children learn their life lessons at home;sports and all the other activities just provide an outlet,or a conduit to express themselves with their peers.
jeezus, I agree with you.
ROckfish - those life skills you noted should be taught by the parents, not school. Its my job to teach them to cook, manage money, etc. I also think its my job to reinforce reading, math etc.
as for the original post, i have no idea what problem this would solve. Im not a sports guy but encourage my kids to play. its good for them, I want them to get knocked down and defeated. Its not handling success that builds charcter, its handling failure. I think competitive sports build that.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 12-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #39
Sea Dangles

[QUOTE=ecduzitgood;910944]Thanks for your compassion but this site does have different areas for conversations just like this. You may or may not agree with how I see the world but you haven't walked in my shoes either. My personal experiences have shaped my mind and allow me to discuss issues openly which I think adds to the site. Should I refrain from posting my opinion in the future just to satiate the ones who don't agree with my perspective? I have a feeling some people do agree with me but consider posting the equivalent of touching the third rail, I say speak your mind and stand with your convictions.

What difference does it make whether a juvenile plays competitive sports where they are being trained to beat the other person as opposed to being taught to work with others through conditioning? Competitive sports teaches aggression and aggression isn't always a good thing, it's time to break the cycle.

You have to get past the scars,whether real or imagined.I am participating in the discussion and that is my advice. The fact that nobody has agreed with you speaks volumes regarding your unique perspective.There is no shame in seeking help,but if you decide not to I am afraid the scars won't heal and there will be nobody to blame but yourself.Good Luck and Happy New Year.

Last edited by Sea Dangles; 12-30-2011 at 02:08 PM..

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 12-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #41
fishbones

You actually think that because there are a bunch of instances where someone did something stupid at a sporting event, all school sports should be replaced? Besides the fact that you listed pro and college sporting events, do you have any idea how many school athletic events there are around the country on any given day, never mind over the course of an entire school year? How many HS sporting event have you gone to in your life where a referee was attacked or there was a riot? Never mind that you posted about mostly fan issues, not the athletes. Please, listen to Sea Dangles and get some professional help.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 12-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #42
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I asked my son, who is a senior in High School right now whether they should do away with Sports at School.

His response "I don't play Sports and I don't really follow Sports, but thats a Bad Idea"

I asked Him Why.

He said "Well, its good to compete for things, the kids are leaning team work, and It teaches you that you don't win all the time but you keep trying til you do"

I think he's Spot On....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #43
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Five Things You Can Learn From Playing Sports

Sports can be good for a lot of things and this includes having fun, being with friends, and excelling at something you are good at. But there are many lessons that can be learned from playing sports as well and you should be well aware of these lessons so that you can look out for them.

By looking out for these lessons, it means that you will be more aware of the things that you are learning and knowing what is lacking in yourself as a person. Here are some lessons you can take with you just by playing sports.

• Learn about health – You will only really know about your physical health and condition if you do something physical like getting involved in sports. While playing a particular sport, you will learn how to keep yourself in top shape, according to the demands of that sport. You will also learn about diets and how to make yourself stronger, faster, and more acute to certain physical things that you were not aware of before. This is something that will ensure you great physical health and this is one major reason that you should get into sports.

• Learn about objectives – The one thing about sports is that there is always a goal and that is how to succeed in the sport by playing it right. This is something that you can bring along with you in the real world. There are certain objectives in life that you must discern for yourself. The lesson you can take from different sports is that you must focus on those objectives and strive to achieve them as diligently as you can.

• Learn to enjoy success – When you win a game in a particular sport, you are never sad. In fact, this is the cause for great celebration. This is another lesson that you can bring with you into your real life. When you succeed at something, make sure that you celebrate and be happy about it; don't be grumpy and get greedy for more.

• Learn that you can lose – Since you can win, you must understand that you can also lose as well. Losing should not be taken as something negative; it should help you to strive even further and to push yourself to be better. This is something that sports can teach you because in sports, when you lose, you improve the way you perform and you can try again to win. This is something that you should also do in your real life as well.

• Learn about teamwork – Many sports involve more than just one or two players. This is important because each person in a team in sports thinks differently and performs differently. You learn to work with each other's strengths and improve on each other's weaknesses. This is the kind of mentality that you can bring to your real life as well as at work and even at home. Good teamwork is something that will help everybody in a group or team to achieve success.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #44
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
You actually think that because there are a bunch of instances where someone did something stupid at a sporting event, all school sports should be replaced? Besides the fact that you listed pro and college sporting events, do you have any idea how many school athletic events there are around the country on any given day, never mind over the course of an entire school year? How many HS sporting event have you gone to in your life where a referee was attacked or there was a riot? Never mind that you posted about mostly fan issues, not the athletes. Please, listen to Sea Dangles and get some professional help.
Most of those incidents he listed were fans...not the athletes too...Maybe if they actually played the sport they may have behaved better.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #45
tysdad115

In my town the only sports that involve school are grades 9-12, all other sports are town affiliated leagues which we pay for. So in theory we are talking 4 years, the competitive drive/ character issues start way before high school. In my eyes they started at tball..and they increase as the childs league/skill level increases. That being said it starts in other leagues that have nothing to do with school which are "private" and not funded by money used for education. I pay to have my son play whatever he wants to.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #46
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Five Things You Can Learn From Playing Sports

Sports can be good for a lot of things and this includes having fun, being with friends, and excelling at something you are good at. But there are many lessons that can be learned from playing sports as well and you should be well aware of these lessons so that you can look out for them.

By looking out for these lessons, it means that you will be more aware of the things that you are learning and knowing what is lacking in yourself as a person. Here are some lessons you can take with you just by playing sports.

• Learn about health – You will only really know about your physical health and condition if you do something physical like getting involved in sports. While playing a particular sport, you will learn how to keep yourself in top shape, according to the demands of that sport. You will also learn about diets and how to make yourself stronger, faster, and more acute to certain physical things that you were not aware of before. This is something that will ensure you great physical health and this is one major reason that you should get into sports.

• Learn about objectives – The one thing about sports is that there is always a goal and that is how to succeed in the sport by playing it right. This is something that you can bring along with you in the real world. There are certain objectives in life that you must discern for yourself. The lesson you can take from different sports is that you must focus on those objectives and strive to achieve them as diligently as you can.

• Learn to enjoy success – When you win a game in a particular sport, you are never sad. In fact, this is the cause for great celebration. This is another lesson that you can bring with you into your real life. When you succeed at something, make sure that you celebrate and be happy about it; don't be grumpy and get greedy for more.

• Learn that you can lose – Since you can win, you must understand that you can also lose as well. Losing should not be taken as something negative; it should help you to strive even further and to push yourself to be better. This is something that sports can teach you because in sports, when you lose, you improve the way you perform and you can try again to win. This is something that you should also do in your real life as well.

• Learn about teamwork – Many sports involve more than just one or two players. This is important because each person in a team in sports thinks differently and performs differently. You learn to work with each other's strengths and improve on each other's weaknesses. This is the kind of mentality that you can bring to your real life as well as at work and even at home. Good teamwork is something that will help everybody in a group or team to achieve success.
Only competitive sports can teach these thing? Why not sports that have no potential to cause injuries?

Once again though, my original intent was to reduce the cost to the taxpayer and realocate the monies spent on something a little less confrontational. How about conditionig and billiards for instance.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #47
Sea Dangles

Went to my oldest sons wrestling event in Marshfield yesterday,it was held at the high school on vacation week with around 20 towns represented.Yeah they try to beat eachother but most importantly they shook hands after every fight regardless of outcome. Some kids were upset they lost but the coaches made sure there was good sportsmanship.The fact that girls were competing was a surprise. Even more of a surprise was seeing a child with Downs syndrome competing with his peers. My sons second match was against a physically disabled youth who also had the courage to compete despite a legitimate handicap he has endured since birth.His appearance alone made me cringe but he submitted my boy in the 1st round. I have never been so proud. Thank goodness for school sports and the opportunities it provides the winners and losers alike.If that is not a life lesson then what is.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 12-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #48
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Most of those incidents he listed were fans...not the athletes too...Maybe if they actually played the sport they may have behaved better.
I'll bet most of them played competitive sports when they were in school.

Report: Eight percent of scholarship players have criminal records | CollegeFootballTalk

NFL commentary: Dealing with criminal behavior by pro football players - by Denver Washington - Helium

I'm sure you folks who are avid sports fans can think of many pro's that aren't good characters. If it builds such good character why even have drug testing for atheletes???

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 12-30-2011 at 03:27 PM..
Old 12-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #49
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
I'll bet most of them played competitive sports when they were in school.

Report: Eight percent of scholarship players have criminal records | CollegeFootballTalk

NFL commentary: Dealing with criminal behavior by pro football players - by Denver Washington - Helium

I'm sure you folks who are avid sports fans can think of many pro's that aren't good characters. If it builds such good character why even have drug testing for atheletes???
Why have drug testing for Home Depot employees? Do you ever look in the police log in the local paper? Do you think that the majority of criminals played HS sports and that's why they turned to crime?

And saying "I bet those fans played sports" is lame and a cop out. I could just as easily say I bet many of those NFL players who commit crimes went to church as kids. That must be why they turned out the way they did.

I just don't get why you have to beat this dead horse. We get it, you were embarrassed by a coach and had your feelings hurt by some of your teamates, but by and large, most HS sports programs are well run and benefits the kids and by extension the parents.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #50
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

We started sliding down this slope when most if not all schools eliminated gym.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 12-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #51
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Went to my oldest sons wrestling event in Marshfield yesterday,it was held at the high school on vacation week with around 20 towns represented.Yeah they try to beat eachother but most importantly they shook hands after every fight regardless of outcome. Some kids were upset they lost but the coaches made sure there was good sportsmanship.The fact that girls were competing was a surprise. Even more of a surprise was seeing a child with Downs syndrome competing with his peers. My sons second match was against a physically disabled youth who also had the courage to compete despite a legitimate handicap he has endured since birth.His appearance alone made me cringe but he submitted my boy in the 1st round. I have never been so proud. Thank goodness for school sports and the opportunities it provides the winners and losers alike.If that is not a life lesson then what is.
You have every reason to be proud.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 01-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #52
ecduzitgood
time to go

There has to be a better way to teach what competitive sports teaches without the cost that goes along with competitive sports, both from a school budget perspective and the prevention of injuries to the students.
High school hockey player paralyzed after hit into boards - Prep Rally - High SchoolBlog - Yahoo! Sports
Old 01-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #53
Sea Dangles

Ban driver ed. too. A lot of those kids eventually get into a car crash.

Art can't be good,didn't Fawn Liebowitz die in a kiln explosion?

Music? more druggies coming down the pipeline.Ban it.

Sewing!!! see Numbskull for evidence to outlaw.

Woodshop can only lead to injuries also.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #54
spence

Quote:
Art can't be good,didn't Fawn Liebowitz die in a kiln explosion?
Yep, good memory.

-spence
Old 01-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #55
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

We might as well just institute a New School Uniform...