Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

no media bias

I see this daily, but this made me laught out loud, with today's digital imaging you had about 200 millions shots of Romney from the debate and this is the pic CNN chose for their article on the web.
Come on? really?
Nope, no bias here......

CNN Poll: Most watchers say Romney debate winner – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Piscator

Looks like Monica Wolinski!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by Piscator; 10-04-2012 at 09:57 AM..
Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Nah, no bias there, move along there's nothing to see.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
Saltheart

That pic and the panic at MSNBC after the debate should be proof positive that those media outlets are backing obama , not reporting the news in an unbiased fashion.

The thing that kills me is how these media people profess to be "News" people but when backed into a corner about their obvious bias they resort to saying they are hosts of "entertainment" programs so their spin is OK if viewed in the light of trying to entertain their audience. Huge cop out used by all the media "news" ...."professionals" ????

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Looks like Monica Wolinski!
Lewinsky?

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
Lewinsky?
Ha, ha, you are correct! I just know her as "Monica"

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 10-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
spence

Funny.

The Wall Street Journal is the #1 newspaper.

Fox News is the #1 cable channel.

The top 5 political radio personalities are Rush, Hannity, Savage etc...

But that liberal bias is polluting everything.

Go to foxnews.com right now and tell me what you see.

-spence
Old 10-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

-spence
Al Gore in a fat suit
Old 10-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Al Gore in a fat suit
When I posted it was a photo of Obama's ass.

But in all honesty, it was fair and balanced.

-spence
Old 10-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Funny.

-spence
Spence, in your opinion where should the American public go for their unbiased news?

That,of course, should not include the late night comedians as we know
they are the real intellectuals and know the unbiased truth.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #11
scottw

Quote:
When I posted it was a photo of Obama's ass.

-spence
yeah...that was supposed to be of Obama's head but the cameraman had just flown in a couple of hours before the debate and hadn't adjusted to the altitude yet
Old 10-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #12
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Funny.

-spence
but conservatives are uneducated hicks.......

Old 10-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
but conservatives are uneducated hicks.......
Yes, I'm one of them, but willing to learn.
That's why I asked Spence where I should go for my unbiased news.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #14
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Yes, I'm one of them, but willing to learn.
That's why I asked Spence where I should go for my unbiased news.
he is going to tell you to listen to him

Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Funny.

-spence
Spence, has it ever occurred to you why Foxnews is the #1 cable channel? Because if you are liberal, every other news station, besides Foxnews, will stroke your fur. For those who don't want to get just the liberal slant on things, there is one TV station to choose from. One. Foxnews.

Foxnews is the #1 cable channel, but it's audience is a small minority of the population. Many other folks get news that is biased.

Does Foxnews have a conservative slant? Absolutely. Is it the mirror-image of MSNBC? Not even close. CNN leans further to the left than Foxnews leans to the right.

Foxnews isn't a far-right station (though it has hosts like Hannity who are). Foxnews just appears so far-right, because when everyone else is 100 miles to the left, center-right appears far to the right.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Spence, has it ever occurred to you why Foxnews is the #1 cable channel? Because if you are liberal, every other news station, besides Foxnews, will stroke your fur. For those who don't want to get just the liberal slant on things, there is one TV station to choose from. One. Foxnews.

Foxnews is the #1 cable channel, but it's audience is a small minority of the population. Many other folks get news that is biased.

Does Foxnews have a conservative slant? Absolutely. Is it the mirror-image of MSNBC? Not even close. CNN leans further to the left than Foxnews leans to the right.

Foxnews isn't a far-right station (though it has hosts like Hannity who are). Foxnews just appears so far-right, because when everyone else is 100 miles to the left, center-right appears far to the right.
How do they say, if you eat your own #^&#^&#^&#^& long enough you'll think it's ice cream?

-spence
Old 10-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
How do they say, if you eat your own #^&#^&#^&#^& long enough you'll think it's ice cream?

-spence
You stated that Foxnews was #1. I told you why.

On the liberal networks, I heard Al Gore suggest that Obama got creamed in the debate because of the altitude. On another network, I heard Michael Eric Dyson (or whatever his name is) say that Obama got creamed because he was forced to debate meekly, or he runs the risk of being called an "angry black man". That's a guy who teaches at Georgetown who said that. It must be great being a white kid in that class.

There is a segment of the American population (sadly it is less than 100%, and you certainly are not in that segment) that doesn't want opinions delivered solely by people who are madly in love with Obama.

Bill O'Reilly gives Obama high marks for killing terrorists, and horrible marks for overseeing the economy. That's fair, not indicative of blind support of any one ideology. And most important, that synopsis is also supported by facts and common sense.

Sean Hannity is thoughtless, a blind ideologue, someone who doesn't need to tell you what he thinks, because I already know what he thinks on every issue, before he says it. Hannity is that predictable. He's exactly like you. Except he has blindly stumbled upon more right answers than you will ever see in a million years.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

So back to my original question to Spence.

Where do I find this unbiased news you speak of.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #19
spence

Quote:
You stated that Foxnews was #1. I told you why.
You made a circular argument.

FOX News is #1 because they were first to market with a differentiated product. Sensationalized programming delivered by high caliber talent.

Not because their viewers are seeking a fair and balanced perspective. Interestingly enough their ratings have climbed during the past 4 years in which their reporting on Obama has been negative 6:1.

The Master Character Narratives in Campaign 2012 | Project for Excellence in Journalism (PEJ)

I used to watch O'Riley every night years ago. FOX has shifted so far to the Right now it's as unwatchable as the MSNBC evening lineup has become.

-spence
Old 10-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
You made a circular argument. FOX News is #1 because they were first to market with a differentiated product. Sensationalized programming delivered by high caliber talent. Not because their viewers are seeking a fair and balanced perspective. Interestingly enough their ratings have climbed during the past 4 years in which their reporting on Obama has been negative 6:1. The Master Character Narratives in Campaign 2012 | Project for Excellence in Journalism (PEJ) I used to watch O'Riley every night years ago. FOX has shifted so far to the Right now it's as unwatchable as the MSNBC evening lineup has become. -spence
Spence bashes Toxnews, I'm sure we're all shocked.

Spence, since you criticized Romney for proposing to cut entitlement programs, we are all STILL waiting for you to tell us what the alternative is?

The best you could come up with is "no one knows what to do".

You're boring, Spence. Thoughtless, utterly predictable, and boring.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
Spence bashes Toxnews, I'm sure we're all shocked.

Spence, since you criticized Romney for proposing to cut entitlement programs, we are all STILL waiting for you to tell us what the alternative is?

The best you could come up with is "no one knows what to do".

You're boring, Spence. Thoughtless, utterly predictable, and boring.
Let's see...

You avoided the actual discussion - Check

You tossed around insults - Check

You declared victory - whoa?

What's happened?

-spence
Old 10-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Let's see... You avoided the actual discussion - Check You tossed around insults - Check You declared victory - whoa? What's happened? -spence
I didn't avoid anything, I stated the obvious - that there is a clear liberal bias in the media, as well as academia. If you don't admit that, and I know that you won't/can't, that's your issue. I just don't get why you want to go through life with your head buried so deep in the sand.

You're the one who dodged an older issue. You said that Romney's experience as CEO of Bain, was not anything that made him qualified to be POTUS. So I asked you, when Obama was running in 2008, what was on his resume that was a better qualification to be POTUS than Romney'sexecutive experience? A fair question. And as usual, all I got for a response was chirping crickets.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 10-08-2012 at 05:58 AM..
Old 10-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #23
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

When it comes to legitimate questions that he can't answer, Spence waits till the thread turns the page and hopes everyone will forget what the quetion was.
Great political move.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #24
spence

Quote:
When it comes to legitimate questions that he can't answer, Spence waits till the thread turns the page and hopes everyone will forget what the quetion was.
Great political move.
No, I'm just too busy helping American companies build a strong economy

-spence
Old 10-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:

-spence
Spence, I asked a fair question. You said being a CEO doesn't necessarily give Romney any insight into what the US neds. OK. So what was on Obama's resume as of September 2008, that made you think Obama had sufficient insight into what America needs?

Why can't you show a bit of intellectual honesty and answer? Shouldn't take you long to ask that on the Huffington Post and then copy the answer here...

Last edited by Jim in CT; 10-08-2012 at 01:27 PM..
Old 10-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #26
spence

Quote:
Spence, I asked a fair question. You said being a CEO doesn't necessarily give Romney any insight into what the US neds.
That's not at all what I said. I said his role as CEO certainly gave him worthy executive experience. I also said his job of grooming companies to maximize profit (and often through destructive means) didn't necessarily give him a magic knowledge of how to solve the Countries issues.

I've never stated Romney lacks the qualifications to be President. I do agree with Newt Gingrich though that he'll say anything to get there.

Quote:
Shouldn't take you long to ask that on the Huffington Post and then copy the answer here...
I probably read the HuffPo once a year.

-spence
Old 10-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #27
spence

Quote:
So back to my original question to Spence.

Where do I find this unbiased news you speak of.
The biggest thing is to focus on reporting and less on opinion.

Sure there are examples of bias here and there but I think most news outlets (including FOX and MSNBC) offer pretty reliable reporting even if they have very biased opinion.

There also is a difference in reporting that reflects a cultural perspective that I wouldn't necessarily consider a bias in a negative way. The Economist can offer a very rational and refreshing perspective on Domestic events. Even reading a Canadian newspaper can give a very different viewpoint on world events.

Any problem is best studied from multiple angles to truly understand it.

The problem with media today is that it's too easy for people to simply look for sources that reinforce existing beliefs without challenging themselves.

-spence
Old 10-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #28
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:

-spence
I realize that, plus keeping the Dow above 13,000 takes 24/7 vigilance.
Maybe you could answer my question on where you get your unbiased
info on a coffee break.

BTW, did you ask your Dad wether he would of rather had invested
his own SS monies yet.
So many questions,so few answers.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
That's not at all what I said. I said his role as CEO certainly gave him worthy executive experience. I also said his job of grooming companies to maximize profit (and often through destructive means) didn't necessarily give him a magic knowledge of how to solve the Countries issues. I've never stated Romney lacks the qualifications to be President. I do agree with Newt Gingrich though that he'll say anything to get there. I probably read the HuffPo once a year. -spence
Here is what you said...

"Romney has executive experience certainly, but to say his business background somehow gives him grand insight into what the US needs to be successful is a bit of a stretch."

Romney knows, in the real world, what is good economic policy and what isn't. You could make a case that's a relevant skill in today's world.

OK. I'll ask you for the 4th or 5th time...what had Obama done prior to getting elected, that made you tihnk he had "grand insight into what the US needs to be successful"? If executive experience in the business world doesn't give one grand insight into macroeconomics, what does? Hanging out with Rev Wright? Voting "present" in the IL state senate? Supporting infanticide?

Have fun...
Old 10-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #30
buckman

Quote:

OK. I'll ask you for the 4th or 5th time...what had Obama done prior to getting elected, that made you tihnk he had "grand insight into what the US needs to be successful"? If executive experience in the business world doesn't give one grand insight into macroeconomics, what does? Hanging out with Rev Wright? Voting "present" in the IL state senate? Supporting infanticide?

Have fun...
Clearly you are having an issue grasping the power of "hope and change "
You can't explain it Jim , you have to feel it !!!