Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 05-09-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
mekcotuit

Black flag with blue horizontal stripe in middle ?

I keep seeing this on vehicles all over the place. Is it a country flag? or does it mean something ala rainbow flags?

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
mekcotuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
fishsmith
DDG-51

thin blue line = police (or "don't give me a ticket because I have this stupid sticker")

firemen use the same thing, but with a red line.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsmith View Post
thin blue line = police (or "don't give me a ticket because I have this stupid sticker")

firemen use the same thing, but with a red line.
It doesn't work.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
It doesn't work.
LOL What does?
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Seriously, anyone who is an officer who puts one of these on thier vehicles is advertising to all the bad guys that he is a cop. Off duty, no gun or radio, and he/she gets into it with someone who sets him up because they can see this black and blue plate. It childish in my opinon. We have a new guy who has a dodge truck which is black and he painted a blue stripe across the tail gate. If you met him you'd understand and he is 40 years old. Anyone who is an officer should not let anyone know who he is off duty, so he doesn't jeopardize his or his families well-being. The older you get the more you understand my logic. As for the other people who put these plates on that are not officers, but they think the plates helpkeep trying.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 05-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
Sgt_Nutz

How about an SB sticker? Does that help?

20' Aquasport CC 115hp Johnson 'SiouxToo'
Sgt_Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #7
Bronko

If you have real connections and real suction, you don't need a bumper sticker. You get the ticket fixed before the cop finishes his shift.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

I don't like when the front plate is covered with the line even if it is red numbers.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:07 AM   #9
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
From what I understand, it's illegal !
If you have red Ma. plates, BOTH plates need to be on the car.. NOT the front covered up !
Cops (and friends of cops) have these black & blue plates on their own personal vehicles as kind of a club membership plate.
Kind of making them think they are above the law !
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:45 AM   #10
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
If you have red Ma. plates, BOTH plates need to be on the car.. NOT the front covered up !
Cops (and friends of cops) have these black & blue plates on their own personal vehicles as kind of a club membership plate.
Your right and your right.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 05-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #11
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I don't really know anyone who pulls anyone over for just one plate. I am sure they are out there, but not with me. The mobile data terminals save many people from getting stopped in that regard. One plate gets you noticed, but when it is run in the M.D.T. and comes back right all is o.k.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 05-10-2008, 06:06 PM   #12
2na

I got pulled over for just one plate 10 years ago or so (right after they changed the law I believe) right at the end of Suicide Ally early (8-9 AM) one Sunday morning. I had removed my front plate because I used to plow with the truck during the winter, then strip the plow frame off and attach my front mount to the posts, so the plate was in the way. The statie was sitting in the old rest area, and I was the only one on the road, wasn't speeding, saw him a mile away. Didn't have a front mount on either. When he walked up to my truck he asked "Do you know why I pulled you over?" and I replied "At the expense of sounding like a hole, I have no idea.". He laughed, told me it was because I only had one plate, gave me a warning and sent me on my way. So there's at least one of us out there. Went home, found it, put it back on and have never had a problem since.

So Swimmer, the truth is the blue stripe on the black decal is an officer? I wondered myself, being in Truro I figured it was something I really didn't want to know.

All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing.
2na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #13
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post

drove up fast along side me , looked over made eye contact... nice sharp military salute... and he floored it, and gone...

Hmm, musta put the hair gel too far down over your "tingle" neck hairs that morning.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #14
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmike View Post

So Swimmer, the truth is the blue stripe on the black decal is an officer? I wondered myself, being in Truro I figured it was something I really didn't want to know.
More than likely yes. But many times its subtrefuge, or a wanabe.

You know the first five years on the job newbe wants everyone to know he is a cop. Second five years on the job, officer only wants his neighbors to know he is a cop. By the time the third five year increment rolls around, he moves into a new neighborhood and doesn't tell anyone what he does for a living (if he is smart).

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 05-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #15
mekcotuit

Quote:
okay - these people need to get a freakin life...."small things affect small minds"......

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
mekcotuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #16
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

what about those other stickers that a LOT of people have on their rear windows? I think it is the fraternal order of police or something? do those work?
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #17
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

^ IBPO stickers. Those are ok for immediate family. The thin blue line has been around for a few years now. The other for a long time.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #18
daphne

Concealed weapon
A warning that the driver has a weapon in the vehicle.
daphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #19
Typhoon

A rich guy I used to work for in Middletown RI, was a member of the 100 club for the only purpose of getting out of tickets.

You see the little placards on a lot of RI license plates. The real purpose is to take care of LEOs families if they are killed on duty.

100 Club RI: Welcome

-Andrew
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #20
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Not if you have an older greenie plate ; 0

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #21
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Mass Police Association (MPA) Stickers

I don't know if this was bumped or not, but the "little" rear window stickers are Mass Police Association stickers. Not IBPO stickers. Many think the organizations are one in the same. Similar but not exactly the same type of group. IBPO represents you during negotiations re:contract disputes and so forth.

Lest I digress, all kinds of non police people have those little stickers as well. Stop and write the ticket 99 % of the time and see what happens. Always told them to go to court and plead with the clerk. Very rarely did I stop and officer, ever. They just dont drive like chit, from my standpoint. But these stickers that are on the windshields are given out by union secretaries, department members, who are in charge of them, within the particular department they work for, to thier friends. It is a criminal office in Massachusetts to be in possession of one of the stickers and not be a police officer, or an officers spouse or child. I have stopped people at 3 a.m. and made them scrape off the stickers, and told them to have your friend call me if he/she has a problem with it. Never got a call. Person within a P.D. that hands out those stickers to non-offciers doesn't respect his job or his fellow officers. There are many of those types around.

Anyways I can't say that those little stickers never got someone "not stopped".

100 "Hundred" club members put up $10,000.00 a year to be a member, and not just any slob can join. If someone dies in the line of duty like the trooper a few months ago, someone comes to the door the next morning and delivers a month of groceries and a check to help get the wiodw through financially a few months. Then the 100 club in the future pays for all of the college tuition of all the children in that family. AND THATS NOT ALL. I dispute with the prior poster that he knows someone who joined just to get out of tickets. They may have gotten out of tickets because of the membership after the fact, but if that person was the kind of person who joined just to get out of tickets the other members would not have let that person into the 100 Club to begin with.

Last edited by Swimmer; 08-30-2010 at 10:14 AM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 08-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #22
Squid kids Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Seriously, anyone who is an officer who puts one of these on thier vehicles is advertising to all the bad guys that he is a cop. Off duty, no gun or radio, and he/she gets into it with someone who sets him up because they can see this black and blue plate. It childish in my opinon. We have a new guy who has a dodge truck which is black and he painted a blue stripe across the tail gate. If you met him you'd understand and he is 40 years old. Anyone who is an officer should not let anyone know who he is off duty, so he doesn't jeopardize his or his families well-being. The older you get the more you understand my logic. As for the other people who put these plates on that are not officers, but they think the plates helpkeep trying.
I wonder what new guy you are talking about..hummm..LOL

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote