Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 06-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
mekcotuit

Another POS

This made my stomach turn and my eyes fill up....what the hell is with people?

Boy, 7, dies after Father's Day attack
Child's father is accused in murder inquiry
By Scott J. Croteau, Worcester Telegram &Amp; Gazette | June 24, 2009

WORCESTER - A 7-year-old boy died yesterday, the Worcester district attorney’s office said, after being attacked on Father’s Day by his father, who allegedly slammed the boy’s head into a wall.

A murder investigation is now underway, and authorities are reviewing evidence collected by investigators involving the attack on Nathaniel Turner, said Timothy J. Connolly, spokesman for the district attorney.

The boy was at UMass Memorial Medical Center and on life-support earlier yesterday, and the state Department of Children and Families had taken custody of him, said Alison Goodwin, the department’s spokeswoman.

Connolly said Nathaniel was declared “clinically dead’’ at 4:10 p.m. yesterday by a doctor at the hospital.

Laurie S. Raphaelson, a lawyer who said she was appointed medical guardian ad litem for Nathaniel, said there will be a hearing at 2:30 p.m. today at which a juvenile court judge will determine whether to remove Nathaniel’s life support.

Police said that for at least eight weeks, the boy had been physically and mentally abused by his father, Leslie G. Schuler. The alleged assaults ended on Father’s Day, Sunday, with what police described as a vicious attack that left the boy hospitalized in grave condition.

Schuler and his girlfriend, Tiffany Hyman, were arraigned in Central District Court yesterday on charges stemming from the alleged assaults.

According to the boy’s family, it was just a few months ago that Schuler received a court order allowing him to have summer custody of Nathaniel, who for most of his life lived with his grandmother in Alabama.

Investigators from the Police Department Special Crimes Division were called to St. Vincent Hospital Monday morning after Schuler and Hyman arrived there with Nathaniel. The boy was unconscious, police said.

“Apparently, the boy had suffered substantial injuries throughout his body,’’ said the Police Department spokesman, Sergeant Kerry F. Hazelhurst. “He had recent bruising all over his chest, stomach, neck, and face area. The child was unconscious and unresponsive.’’

Investigators interviewed Schuler and Hyman and said they learned that a series of assaults had occurred over the eight weeks since the boy arrived from Alabama. The most recent was on Sunday, authorities said.

Police arrested Schuler, 36, and Hyman, 28, after the pair spoke with the detectives.

In court yesterday, Schuler was charged with two counts of assault and battery on a child causing serious bodily injuries, five counts of assault and battery on a child with injuries, two counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, and one count of assault to murder. He was held on $250,000 cash bail.

Hyman was charged with two counts of assault and battery on a child causing serious bodily injuries. While it appears she did not assault the child, police said, she could have intervened and stopped the abuse.

Her lawyer, Jose Rosario, said police reports contained no information showing his client touched the child at all.

Not-guilty pleas were entered for both defendants. Schuler’s lawyer, Christopher Tully, said his client was remorseful.

Relatives of the boy at the courthouse yesterday morning described Nathaniel as a handsome, free-spirited boy. He reportedly had been sleeping on the floor of a bedroom after Schuler removed his toys and furniture as a disciplinary measure for disrespect, according to Special Crimes Division Lieutenant William P. O’Connor.

The boy was also allegedly whipped with a belt and beaten several times, with the most serious attack coming Sunday, police said.

O’Connor said Schuler allegedly told police that Nathaniel disrespected him and that a series of disciplinary actions took place. The discipline started with taking things away from the boy, but then escalated to physical abuse, O’Connor said.

Schuler allegedly slammed the child’s head so hard into a bedroom wall that it left a dent, police said.

Lisa Carter, a cousin of Nathaniel’s biological mother, said the alleged assaults could have been avoided.

“He could have dropped him [off] to us if he couldn’t handle him,’’ she said. “. . . He’s only had the kid only a month, and now this happened.’’

The boy’s birth mother did not want to speak to reporters, and family members refused to give her name to reporters.

Court records list the mother as Alicia Turner, who lost a child in September 2002. Diantea Schuler, 3 at the time, died of injuries suffered in a fire at the family’s home.

Nathaniel’s family said that Schuler always knew he was Nathaniel’s father, but a few months ago he requested and received a court order to have DNA testing done to prove it.

Schuler then received a court order to have summer custody of the child. Nathaniel had been living in Alabama with his grandmother, who has legal custody, family members said.

The birth mother was taking care of the child on weekends while he was in the city, but Schuler did not allow her to see the boy recently, according to the family. Police said the boy also was recently not allowed to leave his father’s home.

Family members were upset with the Probate and Family Court for allowing Schuler to have summer visitation with Nathaniel.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
mekcotuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
FishermanTim

Why are these POS still breathing?
Just take them out into a field and bury them ALIVE!
Whatever punishment our wimpy legal system doles out will never be harsh enough to account for the death of a child.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Don't know what I can say on this one but I was there when the couple brought the boy in. No emotion what so ever on the father's face the whole time he was there. Boy brusied head to toe. I wanted to cry and then looking at the father with no emotion I didn't know what to do. It was awful for all involved especially us with little ones.

Go Ugly Early
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Tynan I am sorry you went through that. I just cant fathom this happening, but it does.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
Offshore24
Dismember

That's a tough one Casey. How can people stand by and know something like that is going on? I mean the mother? What's up with her? Leaves you dumbfounded.

72 hrs of fishing SoCo, not a felony in all 50 states.
Offshore24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore24 View Post
That's a tough one Casey. How can people stand by and know something like that is going on? I mean the mother? What's up with her? Leaves you dumbfounded.
The woman named in the article is not the child's mother. It's that animal's girlfriend.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
Slingah

I wish I didnt read that... God Bless that little boy...
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
InTheHole

If there truly is a hell, then it was made for people like that POS

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day ...
show him where to fish and ... you'll be sorry
InTheHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
Raven

seems like the best use for these people
is for the advancement of science.

They could be used for body parts
after they were used as crash test
dummies.....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

The mother is out of the picture but had visits with the child until the abuse started. It turns out that she lost her other kid in 2002 to a fire. Her and a boyfriend were smoking crack and the kid started playing with the lighter and lit the couch and himself on fire. I know most of the defense cases are based on insanity or under the influence but how in 4 weeks do you not come to your senses and realize what you are doing. I feel so bad for the grandmother.

Go Ugly Early
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
Offshore24
Dismember

It's way wrong. Just so sad. I'm sorry you have to see that stuff.

72 hrs of fishing SoCo, not a felony in all 50 states.
Offshore24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:11 AM   #12
jimmy z
I Had A BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, Live in CT., but my heart is in SoCo!
Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy z
I get very sad when I read about things like this. Very sad indeed.
I get troubled deeply, when I hear of a child dying, and dying in such a way. May that child rest in peace. God bless him.
I have a real problem with ones that want to abuse. This type of evil, is the worst kind. Very very sad.

Be encouraging, not discouraging

<*((())))>< <*((())))><
jimmy z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

These mother%$%$%$%$ers should be on the front lines in Iraq! I have told everyone that I know that if ANYONE does ANYTHING to either of my children I will be in jail before they have a chance to be arrested.

How a "man" can do this to a child, while that dipsh!t stands by and says "I didn't lay a hand on him" B.S. is beyond me. I hope they both get cancer and die a slow and painful death.
Dad 818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #14
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Casey I don't envy you having to be in that position.
Dad 818 is offline   Reply With Quote