Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #31
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
They may have less need for these......but their access to Them is exactly the same as everybody else.....they can go to the exact same building, stand in the exact same line, and deal with the exact same cranky DMV employee as the rest of us......if they so CHOOSE.....

Students have student IDs.....correct....there is their form of ID.

Anybody over the age of 18 can get a state ID card.....not a license......not a passport......just a simple ID card. That is what my son has.

One of the challengers to a voter ID law was a bunch of Nuns (all like 80 -90 years old) who didn't drive and didn't have birth certificates.

As I said earlier, the ID law doesn't bother me as much but why limit the hours people can vote?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Where did I say access in reference to drivers licenses? I specifically said passports or other forms of govern. id. (I'm sure snarky Scott will call me racist again)

So now you have to get a drivers license or go to school to get an ID to vote? Did your son just walked in empty handed and was able to leave with a ID?

Even in a state where they give you free Ids, some people don't have the $ to get a copy of their birth certificate.

Last edited by PaulS; 03-09-2016 at 02:11 PM..
Old 03-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #32
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Are you kidding me Paul, I quoted you in my post where you specifically said they don't drive so they don't need a license.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #33
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

My son walked in with his social security card....how much do those cost?
Old 03-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #34
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

.....maybe the Democrats can include a free copy of your birth certificate in with all the other freebies.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #35
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

Even in a state where they give you free Ids, some people don't have the $ to get a copy of their birth certificate.
the horror

Requesting a birth certificate

There are five ways to obtain a birth certificate:

In person – Most records are printed on demand while you wait at any of our locations (downtown and five suburban courthouses).
Records are $15 for the first copy and $4 for each additional copy of the same record.
Cash, debit cards and credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express & Discover) are accepted. A $1.25 processing fee is charged for debit cards; a $1.75 processing fee for credit cards. Checks are not accepted.

By mail – On average, mail orders are processed in 7-10 business days.
Mail your request to:
Cook County Clerk David Orr
Bureau of Vital Records
P.O. Box 641070
Chicago, IL 60664-1070
Include the following items in your mail order:
a completed Birth Certificate Request Form (be sure to include your phone number)
a photocopy of your photo identification (click here for acceptable forms of ID)
a check or money order payable to “Cook County Clerk” for $15 (additional copies of the same record cost $4 each)
a self-addressed stamped envelope for your document(s) to be mailed to you.

Currency Exchange – Birth records can be ordered at any Currency Exchange.
For hours and locations, call (847) 759-8905 or visit mycurrencyexchange.com.
In addition to the standard record fees, there is a $5 surcharge for records obtained at a Currency Exchange.
Records must be picked up at the store by the customer at a later time.

Online – Order online via VitalChek.
You will need to know the city of birth listed on the birth certificate, the child’s full name, the exact date of birth, and the parents’ first and last names.
In addition to the standard record fees, VitalChek online orders charge $12.45 for processing and standard postage.
Processing time averages 10-14 business days for regular mail (included), 5-7 business days for 2-day air ($17.50), and 3-5 business days for UPS Air ($20).
Credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express & Discover) and checks are accepted.

Phone – Phone orders via VitalChek can be made by calling toll free (866) 252-8974.
You will need to know the city of birth listed on the birth certificate, the child’s full name, the exact date of birth, and the parents’ first and last names.
In addition to the standard record fees, VitalChek online orders charge $12.45 for processing and standard postage.
Processing time averages 10-14 business days for regular mail (included), 5-7 business days for 2-day air ($17.50), and 3-5 business days for UPS Air ($20).
Credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express & Discover) and checks are accepted.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #36
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I'm sure Rev. Wright will pony up the buck for the state ID and bus ride to the RMV

poor arguement

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #37
PaulS

Quote:
Are you kidding me Paul, I quoted you in my post where you specifically said they don't drive so they don't need a license.
And the sentence you quoted did not say they had less "access" to drivers licenses.

So I can just walk in emptyhanded and walk out with a SS card? Didn't know I could do that.

A lawsuit filed against Alabama in early December 2015 cites the example of a high schooler who can’t vote because she lacks a driver’s license. According to the suit, she needs to get a state issued voter ID at the DMV, but the one nearest to her is only open one day per month and there’s no public transportation to another DMV 40 miles away roundtrip.

During closing arguments in a 2012 case over Texas’s voter ID law, a lawyer for the state brushed aside geographical obstacles as the “reality to life of choosing to live in that part of Texas.”

In a now-infamous remark, Mike Turzai, majority leader of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, praised the state’s legislative accomplishments — including passing a voter ID law — at a 2012 Republican State Committee meeting.
“Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done,” he said.

Reverend Wright, EBD cards - this thread is funny.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
Where did I say access in reference to drivers licenses? I specifically said passports or other forms of govern. id. (I'm sure snarky Scott will call me racist again)

You asked me if voter fraud was rampant, and I gave you the honest answer.

Now it's my turn...are you suggesting that a large number of Americans, who will take the time to vote, can't do so because they don't have the $$ to get a copy of their birth certificate?

In all seriousness, how do these people establish their identity for the purposes of getting whatever welfare they must be on? Or to cash those assistance checks?
Old 03-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #39
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
You asked me if voter fraud was rampant, and I gave you the honest answer.

Now it's my turn...are you suggesting that a large number of Americans, who will take the time to vote, can't do so because they don't have the $$ to get a copy of their birth certificate?I think that has something to do with it plus in places like Texas they are so far from official offices.

In all seriousness, how do these people establish their identity for the purposes of getting whatever welfare they must be on? Or to cash those assistance checks?
I think it is bc they don't have $ like you and I have and live paycheck to paycheck. Why use a payday lendor if you have a bank acct.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #40
Jim in CT

Quote:
And the sentence you quoted did not say they had less "access" to drivers licenses.

So I can just walk in emptyhanded and walk out with a SS card? Didn't know I could do that.

A lawsuit filed against Alabama in early December 2015 cites the example of a high schooler who can’t vote because she lacks a driver’s license. According to the suit, she needs to get a state issued voter ID at the DMV, but the one nearest to her is only open one day per month and there’s no public transportation to another DMV 40 miles away roundtrip.

During closing arguments in a 2012 case over Texas’s voter ID law, a lawyer for the state brushed aside geographical obstacles as the “reality to life of choosing to live in that part of Texas.”

In a now-infamous remark, Mike Turzai, majority leader of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, praised the state’s legislative accomplishments — including passing a voter ID law — at a 2012 Republican State Committee meeting.
“Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done,” he said.

Reverend Wright, EBD cards - this thread is funny.
"one nearest to her is only open one day per month and there’s no public transportation to another DMV 40 miles away roundtrip"

THAT'S NOT RACIST! Because if a white person lives next door, they are in the same exact boat. That burden is not a function of race, it has nohting to do with race. Those people need to address that with their state.

"a lawyer for the state brushed aside geographical obstacles "

We need to address that. Again, it has exactly nothing to do with race. Race doesn't determine who lives out in the woods...

Paul, you want to argue that it's less convenient for some folks than others to get that ID card, I concede that. But the addiitonal burdens are not a function of one's race.

And if one chooses to live far away from society, that person is absolutely agreeing to accept the consequences of that choice, and not all of the consequences are necessarily pleasant.

"Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done,” he said."

Again, you are quoting someone who is merely stating he agrees with you. Many times, I asked for the "why", not the "who agrees with you".

You got creamed here. You can't begin to justify the argument that race dictates how convenient/burdensome it is for one to get a photo id.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #41
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I'm getting a headache and a sore thumb....

You need to actually reread what you posted.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #42
Jim in CT

Quote:
I think it is bc they don't have $ like you and I have and live paycheck to paycheck. Why use a payday lendor if you have a bank acct.
I don't know what a payday lendor is. A place to cash a check? Don't you need some kind of id to do that?
Old 03-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #43
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

That is NOT what I said....I said he walked IN with his social security card and walked OUT with his ID

pretty much everybody that is eligible to vote....should have a valid SSN, correct

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 03-09-2016, 03:18 PM   #44
PaulS

Quote:
That is NOT what I said....I said he walked IN with his social security card and walked OUT with his ID

pretty much everybody that is eligible to vote....should have a valid SSN, correct
YOu said "My son walked in with his social security card....how much do those cost?"

And I replied "So I can just walk in emptyhanded and walk out with a SS card? Didn't know I could do that."

So I didn't change or misinterpret anything. I was asking a question. Did your son walk in emptyhanded to the SS office or did he go in with a birth certificate?

I think some people don't have SS #s. Don't know how they get by but that is what I have heard.

Last edited by PaulS; 03-09-2016 at 03:25 PM..
Old 03-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #45
PaulS

Quote:
I don't know what a payday lendor is. A place to cash a check? Don't you need some kind of id to do that?
Just as you don't know, I don't know what they requre. The point is people live off the grid or live differently from you and I. A lot of people don't have bank accts., make so little $ they might not file taxes, etc.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #46
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

If they live off the grid...then why should they vote?

And living off the grid has nothing to do with being a minority

Old 03-09-2016, 03:24 PM   #47
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
YOu said "My son walked in with his social security card....how much do those cost?"

And I replied "So I can just walk in emptyhanded and walk out with a SS card? Didn't know I could do that."

So I didn't change or misinterpret anything. I was asking a question. Did your son walk in emptyhanded or did he go in with a birth certificate?
We did the responsible thing.....we got it for him when he was born

Old 03-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #48
PaulS

Quote:
If they live off the grid...then why should they vote?
I guess we can change the Constituion to prevent them from voting. Right?
Old 03-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #49
Jim in CT

Quote:
Just as you don't know, I don't know what they requre. The point is people live off the grid or live differently from you and I. A lot of people don't have bank accts., make so little $ they might not file taxes, etc.
" A lot of people don't have bank accts"

Then in order to cash checks, they need an id. Never heard of a place that cashes checks without an id.

"The point is people live off the grid "

True. And here in CT, every single one of those people (at least until recently, maybe it changed?), has to get to their town hall to register to vote. If they can do that, maybe they can get an id.

Paul, what if those people show up to vote, to find out that someone else voted in their name? Are they better served that way? It's designed to protect the integrity of the process. At least in theory. If, in practice, people of one demographic are more turned off by voting requirements that apply to us all - that's their choice.

And you keep quoting that guy who said that voter ids woul dgive PA to Romney? Well, Romney didn't win PA in 2012. So maybe that guy isn't as credible as a source on these things, as you think he is.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #50
Jim in CT

Quote:
There are hoops that we all have to jump through, in order to vote. The hoops are not based on race, despite your claims to the contrary. Nothiing you have said, substantiates your claim that it's harder for blacks to get a photo id (other than a driver's license). It will be harder for people who live far away...that's not based on race, that's based on where one chooses to live.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #51
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Maybe they should provide proof that they are covered by the constitution?

How could they do that? Hmmmm

Old 03-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #52
PaulS

Quote:
You can't begin to justify the argument that race dictates how convenient/burdensome it is for one to get a photo id.
Pls. point out where I said it was racist? It affects minorities more (who vote Democratic more). I think Tysdad was the person who mentioned racism 1st and then Cool Beans made an assinine comment (but he hasn't come back to follow up so I'm a little unsure what he meant).

It is nothing more than an attempt to lower voting by groups that vote more for Dems. There is no fraud so there is no reason to do it.

Why disenfranchise so many voters if as you agree there is so little fraud?
Old 03-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #53
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
There are hoops that we all have to jump through, in order to vote. The hoops are not based on race, despite your claims to the contrary. Nothiing you have said, substantiates your claim that it's harder for blacks to get a photo id (other than a driver's license). It will be harder for people who live far away...that's not based on race, that's based on where one chooses to live.
Exactly...

Old 03-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #54
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Pls. point out where I said it was racist? It affects minorities more (who vote Democratic more).
?
You never said it was racist.....but you most certainly through the minority card around.

Jims point is that the minority thing has nothing to do with it...which it doesn't....

But it sure does seem like people like to throw the minority card around lately

Quote:
The voter ID laws bother me less than the shortening of hours but minortities (a higher % vote Dem.) have less need for ID. The most common voter ID is a driver’s license, and minorities are less likely to drive. Minorities are less likely to have driver’s licenses because they are more likely to be poor and to live in urban areas. If you can’t afford a car, or if you don’t need one because you take the bus or subway, you are less likely to have a driver’s license. Students are less likely to have driver’s for the same reason. Driver’s licenses are not the only form of id, but minorities don't have as much access to other legally forms such as Passports, military IDs or other government-issued photo ID

Old 03-09-2016, 03:54 PM   #55
PaulS

Quote:
You never said it was racist.....but you most certainly through the minority card around.

and how many times was it stated that people say it was racist? Tysdad's only post said it was racist. Scott claimed it didn't disproportionately disenfranchise minorities and said that was "CRAP"
Jims point is that the minority thing has nothing to do with it...which it doesn't....

But it sure does seem like people like to throw the minority card around lately

And it looks like the straw man racist card gets thrown around a lot here and quickly.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:04 PM   #56
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Scotts not wrong.....and tysdad was just being a wise ass
Old 03-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #57
Jim in CT

Quote:
Pls. point out where I said it was racist? It affects minorities more (who vote Democratic more). I think Tysdad was the person who mentioned racism 1st and then Cool Beans made an assinine comment (but he hasn't come back to follow up so I'm a little unsure what he meant).

It is nothing more than an attempt to lower voting by groups that vote more for Dems. There is no fraud so there is no reason to do it.

Why disenfranchise so many voters if as you agree there is so little fraud?
"Pls. point out where I said it was racist?"

Are you serious? You posted this..."minorities don't have as much access to other legally forms such as Passports, military IDs or other government-issued photo ID"

Your were saying that Republicans favor voter id laws, because that will suppress black turnout, because of the reduced acceess you claim (falsely, and without even trying to support it) minorities have to these ids.

If you lose an argument, better to admit that you lost it, than to deny you made it in the first place.

"It affects minorities more (who vote Democratic more)."

That's a choice on their part, a choice not to bear the burden placed on all voters. It's not because of institutional bias.

"There is no fraud "

None? How many examples would you like us to post of voter fraud? It's not rampant, but of course it exists.

"Why disenfranchise so many voters if as you agree there is so little fraud"

(1) What fraud? Didn't you say in your previous sentence, "there is no fraud"? And now all of a sudden, there is a little fraud? Which is it? (2) To answer your question, we do this because we can reduce the fraud even more. Less fraud is good, isn't it? It will only disenfranchise people if they choose to let it disenfranchise them. It doesn't prevent anyone from voting.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:17 PM   #58
Jim in CT

Wow.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:14 PM   #59
scottw

soft bigotry of low expectations.....
Old 03-10-2016, 08:05 AM   #60
PaulS

Quote:
"Pls. point out where I said it was racist?"

Are you serious? You posted this..."minorities don't have as much access to other legally forms such as Passports, military IDs or other government-issued photo ID"And I told you why. Minorities and students don't drive as much and live in cities so they don't have as much need or in many cases can't afford a car. If you don't want to believe that, that is your problem. Pointing that out, doesn't make me racist. If it was I could call you racist almost every day when you bring blacks into your discussions. - Right?

Your were saying that Republicans favor voter id laws, because that will suppress black Don't think I ever mentioned blacks - did I? So you bring up blacks out of the blue and call me racist when I never mentioned blacks? Hmm turnout, because of the reduced acceess you claim (falsely, and without even trying to support it) minorities have to these ids.See what I have said a few times here and have repeated it in the 1st paragraph bc for some reason you don't seem to understand it.

If you lose an argument, better to admit that you lost it, than to deny you made it in the first place.

"It affects minorities more (who vote Democratic more)."

That's a choice on their part, a choice not to bear the burden placed on all voters. It's not because of institutional bias.So it isn't a true statement? - I'll save you the trouble, it is a true statement.

"There is no fraud "

None? How many examples would you like us to post of voter fraud? It's not rampant, but of course it exists.

"Why disenfranchise so many voters if as you agree there is so little fraud"

(1) What fraud? Didn't you say in your previous sentence, "there is no fraud"? And now all of a sudden, there is a little fraud? Which is it? (2) To answer your question, we do this because we can reduce the fraud even more. Less fraud is good, isn't it? It will only disenfranchise people if they choose to let it disenfranchise them. It doesn't prevent anyone from voting.
Of course there is fraud - it is so small to be meaningless. If you want to base your whole arguement on the little/no fraud statement go ahead. You'll just look petty. And of course less fraud is good but when 0,000s of 0,000s of people don't get to vote bc you are trying to reduce the minimal (almost non existent) fraud, the costs outway the benefits.

The fact is Repubs. will do anything they can to prevent people from voting whether by Id laws, shortening polling times, refusing to allow people to automatically be registered to vote when they get drivers licenses (and you can comment on that if you want) or any other innovative way to vote. And that is Pathetic.

You can't make that wrong.