Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 12-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
parker23
No Trolling allowed

Location of Brownell 26 former owner Joe Cordero

Sitting here reminscing about fishing in the early 90's on the Brownell 26 Black Hawk. Captain Joe Cordero was an amazing fisherman I had the privilege of fishing with over a few summers. We livelined scup at Wasque rip. He would swing her stern into the rip and say in his soft voice "ok boys get ready you'll be on in a second or two" and he was dead on. Our trips would start with a call to his scup trap fishing boat pal who would trade a barrel full of live short scup for 2 cartons of cigarettes. Then we would steam for Wasque Pt. Joe would chain smoke leaving a trail of butts. We would joke that we could navigate our way back to port by the butt trail. Joe was a soft spoken man of few words. We once talked him into letting us bring our fly rods to use after we filled the fish box. He was amazed when we hooked up on bass and blues.
That boat was by far the best boat I have ever fished. She would sit on the edge of the huge standing wave in that awesome rip and glide with the current like no other boat. We witnessed a 50 foot Buddy Davis get knocked down in the rip line while we just sat 50' feet to starboard unmolested in that 26' bass machine. As we pulled in stern first into the piling slip a group of people would be there to witness Joe's catch of the day. Those were some of the most amazing days on the water. I was just a body that baited the hook and reeled in the fish. Joe did all the real work by placing the stern in the the rip and let us know when we would be tight on a bass. Most trips the smallest bass would be 25lbs.
I lost touch with Joe and learned of his passing 10 plus years ago.
I was wondering where that boat is now. I know she lost her keel after hitting a submerged telephone pole but I am pretty sure she was back in the water. I just love that boat She was so solid. Mahogany planking over an oak frame. I have seen a few 26 footers for sale but don't know where the Black Hawk is berthed.
Any info would be greatly appreciated
Merry Christmas to all

1 @ 32 Pledge. Our beloved Striped Bass are in trouble AGAIN.

I fished through the lean years and don't want to live through another collapse of the stock.

2 fish @ 28" is ridiculous.
parker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I don't have a clue about where the Brownell is, but your request certainly provoked thoughts of what a legend he was.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Nebe

Here's one.
Brownell 26 Bassboat boat for sale in Marion United States - Ref: 3504 - YachtWorld.com Mobile
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Think twice.

Huge maintenance costs and without a trolling valve the diesel will be too fast. Good ride into a head sea, god-awful in a following sea.

I remember when Cordeiro re-powered his boat with a diesel. He had the mechanic down there every day for a summer trying to slow it down. I don't think he was ever happy with the result. Probably why he ended up drifting scup at the end. For decades before he could get what he wanted dragging wire.

As good as Cordeiro was, I think Sabatowski was on another level yet. Indeed, I recall hearing that most of what Cordeiro learned came from Sabatowski. Whether true or not, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure Sabatowski learned what he knew from scratch. Cordeiro came to the game much later.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
SAUERKRAUT
surfwalker

Cordiero Legend Story: When loran came on our boats, Joe accidentally left his book of numbers unlocked at the helm. This data was purloined. The numbers ultimately proved to be to to spots like his favorite bar, mother in law house, etc. He planted it as a fake decoy.
SAUERKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Got another Joe story. Late 70's probably we were throwing ballerinas into the rip at mutton catching blues and bass in the 8-12lb size when a big cloud of birds made up about 1/2 mile in front of the rip. We motored over and all hooked up immediately on small bluefish. Cordeiro showed up and trolled a circle right around us jigging wire as we fought the little fish. He hooked up and dragged two #40 bass right out from under us and the bluefish. That was an eye opener for me .
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
BEETLE

I remember hearing my Dad mention these names from when i was a kid 40 + years ago, Cordeiro - Sabby.
Got a picture of my Dad on the stern of Sabby's boat jigging wire off a rip. Good memories to have.
Different breed back then - rugged bunch of dudes.
Was it Sabby that owned the "Strad" ??
BEETLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:14 AM   #8
parker23
No Trolling allowed

He was by far the best bass fisherman I have ever met. And it wasn't just his knowledge, it was his whole person. He was a true gentleman and never got flustered. He was also an excellent, patient teacher that would school us in all aspects of fishing, predicting their location, baiting the hook for different conditions, proper gaffing and boat handling.

As for the diesel re-power, we did snap jigs when the fish were not cooperating at the rip. He truly enjoyed fishing Wasque w/ live scup.

I am not looking to buy his boat, just would love to see her sitting in the water. I had a wooden Beetle Cat as a kid and remember the amount of time required to keep her in ship-shape.

Merry Christmas Joe and Thank you!

1 @ 32 Pledge. Our beloved Striped Bass are in trouble AGAIN.

I fished through the lean years and don't want to live through another collapse of the stock.

2 fish @ 28" is ridiculous.
parker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
bostonharbor

Sabatowski's boat "June bug" is owned by Walter Ungermann the best Capt. I ever fished with.
bostonharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
Rip Runner

I fished next to Joe for years and he was an excellent captain and a very nice guy too.

I talked with a police officer in Wareham about 8-10 years ago while I was getting fuel before a tournament that recognized me. I believe he was a mate for Joe at some point and he knew my dad as well. I think he may have bought the boat?

Last edited by Rip Runner; 12-27-2012 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: spelling

Rip Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

I just found this one. 1961 Brownell 24 Bass Boat Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #12
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlapinski View Post
Wow!!!
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I get my father-in-laws Wooden Boat mag. after he is done with every issue and marvel at the beauty of just about every wooden boat.

Sabatowski's 24' should be enshrined somewhere. $5'900 for the Junebug, like Nebe says wow!

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
kathi106

Hi, I am Joe Cordeiro's Daughter..Blackhawk Charters

I have been searching for any information or comments about the Blackhawk for 10 years.
Joe Cordeiro died on Feb. 26, 2002 of cancer.
My Mom sold the boat to his first mate Steve Kearney, a police officer in Wareham with his own troubles.
I have visited Falmouth Harbor a few times to see Karen Rinaldi who has an art studio next to the Clam Shack and never saw the boat in its slip.
I had heard from another friend that the boat's condition was deplorable. My Father would have been horrified....he kept that boat like new as best he could.
My visits to Falmouth decreased as the years went by but it wasn't too long before they were asking me if I knew what had happened to the boat ( I was hoping they could tell me ).....
I knew that Steve most likely did not have the money to maintain the boat and perhaps not the expertise to keep the business going.
I thank you all for the wonderful and kind words and wanted to let you know what I could tell you about the Blackhawk...26' Brownell.
thank you again,
Kathleen McNeil
Kathi106@aol.com
kathi106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
Rip Runner

Hi Kathleen,

I just booked a charter the other day who booked trips with your father faithfully every year for over 20 years. He couldn't say enough about him. I told him I would do my best to give him the experience he received on the Blackhawk. Our fathers were friends too. When I was a mate for my father when I was young we used to fish next to your dad all they time.

I ran into Steve some years back and he had the boat, but I have not heard from him, or seen it since. Since Steve is in Wareham you might want to see if it ended up at Zecco Marine in Wareham out back somewhere.

Rip Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #16
Reel Wild

The Black Hawk was purchased by Steve K. a Wareham police officer and run as a charter boat for a number of years. I believe Steve had a repower done and the transmission failed. He also was suffering some back issues. I'm not sure but believe the vessel has been retired. It was hull #6 from Brownell and sure caught many fish in its lifetime.
Reel Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #17
kathi106

Re: Blackhawk

So nice to hear from you!! Do you remember who the customer was that went with my Dad for 20 years? I did meet many of them and know many of the names.
If Steve kept chartering, it wasn't out of Falmouth and not out of Falmouth Harbor...
I have people looking for the boat and will let you know what I find out.
In the meantime, it was wonderful to read your posts and thank you so much for responding.
Kathleen
kathi106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:10 AM   #18
HighSeasHarry

"Women want me. Fish fear me."

RIP Joe. You taught me more about life than anyone else.
HighSeasHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #19
DRUMCORPFAN
nightstalker

Anyone have one of these....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2487.JPG (100.6 KB, 24 views)

NIGHTSTALKER
DRUMCORPFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #20
Liv2Fish

I fished with Joe many times as a kid. My family also chartered with him religiously for many years. I would ask tons of question and he would say "what are you righting a book kid?" I remember he was always a wicked nice guy and always put us on the meat.

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Liv2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote