Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-28-2018, 09:30 PM   #121
Sea Dangles

I love his passion but no,the facts don’t support him.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-29-2018, 07:37 AM   #122
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Trump said lethal force was acceptable IF NECESSARY. I don't believe he said it was OK just because people were throwing rocks. Did our troops shoot people in Afghanistan IF IT WAS NECESSARY?

Apparently, Mattis has it under his control. I think he knows what he is doing.

Well rocks were thrown, and no one was shot. So it would appear Trump didn't give a direct order.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #123
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
You're the one that brought up "combat zone" in relation to the situation at the border. Maybe you can be more clear how you compare the border thing with an Afghan "combat zone."

Trump said lethal force was acceptable IF NECESSARY. I don't believe he said it was OK just because people were throwing rocks. Did our troops shoot people in Afghanistan IF IT WAS NECESSARY?

Apparently, Mattis has it under his control. I think he knows what he is doing.

The memo written by Chief of Staff Kelly (not Trump) states that troops may "perform those military protective activities that the Secretary of Defense determines are reasonably necessary," if there is "credible evidence and intelligence," including "a show or use of force (including lethal force, where necessary), crowd control, temporary detention, and cursory search."

Beware of fake news.
Consider it a rifle," trump said. "When they throw rocks like they did at the Mexico military police, consider it a rifle."

Sure he walked it back but it’s a full time job for his staff but that’s really the point
Old 11-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #124
scottw

wait....the left considers words ..."weapons"...but rocks aren't?
Old 11-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #125
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Absolutely. The left weaponizes words by twisting them, or redefining them, to mean things that weaken and destroy their enemies. And they'll leave out words which also changes the meaning of what is said. Such as leaving out specific portrayals and delineations such as "if necessary" or:

“I will tell you this, anybody throwing stones, rocks, like they did to Mexico and the Mexican military, Mexican police, where they badly hurt police and soldiers of Mexico, we will consider that a firearm,” Trump said. “Because there’s not much difference. When you get hit in the face with a rock, which as you know, that was very violent a few days ago. Very, very violent.

And it is especially easy to use Trump's words against him because he compresses larger ideas into syntax too narrow to express what he totally means. That habit may be accentuated by resorting so much to tweets which require smaller messages. He often has to explain later what he meant.

At any rate, the policy in place re use of force more fully explains what Trump didn't. And I suspect that Trump critics know this, but will continue their tactic anyway. WDMSO sort of admits that when he says "Sure he walked it back but it’s a full time job for his staff but that’s really the point." Isn't it necessary for a presidential staff to be "full time"? And he didn't say, to begin with, that such was really the point. He just wanted to paint Trump out to be some monster.

Last edited by detbuch; 11-29-2018 at 01:20 PM..
Old 11-29-2018, 01:30 PM   #126
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Funny

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN