Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 02-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
ecduzitgood
time to go

Heavy snow again

2 died in the last storm so keep in mind trees and branches can kill. Also think about what won't keep in the fridge if we lose power and cook it if it can't be frozen....snow starts at 4am....stay safe everyone.
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:23 AM   #2
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

If you have lived in New England in the winter for any length of time and don't own a generator, you're not paying attention.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

That is a wide brush you paint with, Paul....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
If you have lived in New England in the winter for any length of time and don't own a generator, you're not paying attention.
I really haven't had to use the generator that often but was more concerned about the people here since they can't be replaced.
Not much for snow here less than an inch so far.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:59 AM   #5
Raven

mine is still in the box brand new-lol

i always paint with a wide brush.... just in case i'm right
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:24 PM   #6
5/0
Eels

I got the heads up last night from the boss that we have the day off due too the in coming storm,I got a call at 0455hrs. For an emergency not heat call for a high rise in downtown. ..so much for a day off,Btw this on call chit is for the birds.

The roads were great heading in but coming home at 1030hrs it wasn't bad at all,slow but steady.

I want to become a meteorologist 6 figures nice suits and wrong 40-60% of the time and still have a job.
If I had those stats I wouldn't have a job doing what I do.
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #7
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

That wet heavy stuff turned into about 8" (all told including the inch that fell after I finished shoveling) of light, fluffy powder. At least in my driveway, that is.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #8
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/0 View Post
I got the heads up last night from the boss that we have the day off due too the in coming storm,I got a call at 0455hrs. For an emergency not heat call for a high rise in downtown. ..so much for a day off,Btw this on call chit is for the birds.

The roads were great heading in but coming home at 1030hrs it wasn't bad at all,slow but steady.

I want to become a meteorologist 6 figures nice suits and wrong 40-60% of the time and still have a job.
If I had those stats I wouldn't have a job doing what I do.

Not as long as you get paid a few bucks an hour for being on-call.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:40 AM   #9
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
That is a wide brush you paint with, Paul....
May be Ross but I am tired of neighbors, who have lived on my street as long as I have, coming over and complaining because they lost power "but saw your lights on". No wood stove, no generator, I'm sorry you should be living in a major metropolitan area, not in the middle of the forest.
BTW, we don't have city water or sewers so, when the power goes out, these folks have no water or heat. A 3500KW generator will run your furnace, well pump and fridge. Not a huge expense.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #10
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

I was thinking of a generator and you guys gave me the good advice to go speak to my neighbors (which isn't easy since I barely ever see them), but finally had a conversation with the guy next door and he said he can't recall ever having an issue in 25 years, even in last winter's storms.

Then in the wind/rain storm a couple of weeks ago we lost power for like 10 seconds... I still feel like its a good thing to have though in the worst case. I have a wood burning fireplace which would keep the family warm, but it won't stop the pipes from freezing in the rest of the house I guess.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote