Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #91
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
So what is bothering you then that caused you to make 12 posts on this page? Is it that wdmso said "republicans"?
there's nothing bothering me...do i need to be "bothered" to post?
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #92
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I believe a part of it was corroborated by an inside source.

Steele wasn't just a Russian expert, according to the testimony he was hired party leaders because his expertise was spotting russian propaganda.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
indeed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	64845  
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #93
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
there's nothing bothering me...do i need to be "bothered" to post?
Not at all. Post away. It is not my website.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #94
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,288
democrats should really just refocus their effort on undermining the Trump economy...that will be their biggest enemy going forward
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #95
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 19,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
democrats should really just refocus their effort on undermining the Trump economy...that will be their biggest enemy going forward
Kind of like what the republicans did with Obama ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #96
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Kind of like what the republicans did with Obama ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
yes, but it looks like they'll have to work twice as hard
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #97
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
democrats should really just refocus their effort on undermining the Trump economy...that will be their biggest enemy going forward
Yes, what a waste of $s looking into possible collusion w/the Russians or obstruction of justice. That money can be used for another committee to look into Bengazi.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #98
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
democrats should really just refocus their effort on undermining the Trump economy...that will be their biggest enemy going forward
And it's going to be a very formidable enemy. I would love to be the campaign manager of any Republican challenger running against a democrat opponent. All you have to do is run commercials saying that the democrat vote against the voters being able to keep more of their money. It's going to be effective.

There's that old saying that politics "is about the economy, stupid". If it was that simple, the GOP would make huge gains. But Trump is the most obnoxiously offensive POTUS I have seen, so that will have an effect. As will the fact that the liberals and the media never, ever stop bashing him long enough to take a breath. That's also effective.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #99
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Kind of like what the republicans did with Obama ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
The Democrats got absolutely demolished in both of Obama's midterms. People like Obama personally (for reasons that escape me), but they don't like his policies.

Trump is helping the economy in broader ways. The stock market is up (which Obama also deserves credit for), but he didn't cut taxes. 80% of us might see a net pay increase thanks to Trump, and every single democrat in DC voted against it. They are, and should be, scared of that fact.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #100
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
The Democrats got absolutely demolished in both of Obama's midterms. People like Obama personally (for reasons that escape me), but they don't like his policies.

Trump is helping the economy in broader ways. The stock market is up (which Obama also deserves credit for), but he didn't cut taxes. 80% of us might see a net pay increase thanks to Trump, and every single democrat in DC voted against it. They are, and should be, scared of that fact.
the stock market is in fantasy land ... every one should be scared
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #101
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,150
How much did the market go up last year? I wonder how much it went up in Obama's first year?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:02 AM   #102
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
the stock market is in fantasy land ... every one should be scared
Did you say that when it went up under Obama? Would you have said that if Hilary had won? I don't know a single financial advisor telling clients to short the market, or to cash out and put money in cash. The consensus is that the market will increase again in 2018. But no on knows for sure...

Last edited by Jim in CT; 01-12-2018 at 12:10 AM..
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:08 AM   #103
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
How much did the market go up last year? I wonder how much it went up in Obama's first year?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I give Obama credit for that. But it's also true, that when the market just crashed, it's easier to get increases, then when it is already high. It's like trying to reduce your golf handicap, it's easier when you are hitting 125 than it is when you are hitting 90.

Trump, unlike Obama, is putting money in the pockets of ordinary Americans, the ones Democrats claim to care so much about. Walmart is raising the company minimum wage to $11/hour, a raise of about $1.50 an hour in CT, $3,000 a year if you are full time. Combined with the tax cuts (reduction in tax rates, doubling of standard deduction, increased child tax credits), that's a real, meaningful boost to these people. And every single democrat voted against it. They may be at a complete loss explaining why.

Of course, if Trump makes inexcusable comments like the "sh*thole country" monstrocity, maybe people won't care about the economy. He may be such an ass, that people don't care about a booming economy. We'll see in November.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:13 AM   #104
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 17,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I give Obama credit for that. But it's also true, that when the market just crashed, it's easier to get increases, then when it is already high. It's like trying to reduce your golf handicap, it's easier when you are hitting 125 than it is when you are hitting 90.

Trump, unlike Obama, is putting money in the pockets of ordinary Americans, the ones Democrats claim to care so much about. Walmart is raising the company minimum wage to $11/hour, a raise of about $1.50 an hour in CT, $3,000 a year if you are full time. Combined with the tax cuts (reduction in tax rates, doubling of standard deduction, increased child tax credits), that's a real, meaningful boost to these people. And every single democrat voted against it. They may be at a complete loss explaining why.

Of course, if Trump makes inexcusable comments like the "sh*thole country" monstrocity, maybe people won't care about the economy. He may be such an ass, that people don't care about a booming economy. We'll see in November.
Walmart is also laying off thousands as it closes stores and has been under a massive PR onslaught for years for how little it pays employees.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:19 AM   #105
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Did you say that when it went up under Obama? Would you have said that if Hilary had won? I don't know a single financial advisor telling clients to short the market, or to cash out and put money in cash. The consensus is that the market will increase again in 2018. But no on knows for sure...
your confusing a slow and steady under Obama ,,,with guns a blazing under Trump.... you think its sustainable ? I dont

Financial advisors get paid up or down they are not required to look out for the interest of their clients (some may) but its easy money now

Also when Obama was in office most conservatives said the stock market didn't count... now its all Trump has
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:21 AM   #106
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I give Obama credit for that. But it's also true, that when the market just crashed, it's easier to get increases, then when it is already high. It's like trying to reduce your golf handicap, it's easier when you are hitting 125 than it is when you are hitting 90.

Trump, unlike Obama, is putting money in the pockets of ordinary Americans, the ones Democrats claim to care so much about. Walmart is raising the company minimum wage to $11/hour, a raise of about $1.50 an hour in CT, $3,000 a year if you are full time. Combined with the tax cuts (reduction in tax rates, doubling of standard deduction, increased child tax credits), that's a real, meaningful boost to these people. And every single democrat voted against it. They may be at a complete loss explaining why.

Of course, if Trump makes inexcusable comments like the "sh*thole country" monstrocity, maybe people won't care about the economy. He may be such an ass, that people don't care about a booming economy. We'll see in November.
enjoy your kool aid comrade .. whats the saying If it Sounds Too Good to Be True, it Probably Is
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #107
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits
iTrader: (0)
 
Got Stripers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: I live in a house, but my soul is at sea.
Posts: 4,206
I picked a really good time to retire. Even on a risk level of 3 on a scale of 1 to 10, my Fidelity accounts are doing almost 13%, can't imagine how the younger risk takers are doing. So while I absolutely loath the man, I love the economy right now and no I don't think he can claim all the credit.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #108
Slipknot
Super Moderator
iTrader: (0)
 
Slipknot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Middleboro MA
Posts: 16,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Walmart is also laying off thousands as it closes stores and has been under a massive PR onslaught for years for how little it pays employees.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Might be because Americans are beginning to realize purchasing junk made in China that breaks or fails quickly or is inadequate is not the way to go, it is about choices and quanity is not always better than quality. You get what you pay for. Everyone likes a good deal, I'm not sure buying trash is a good deal, not that some of their products are not useful because there are, but most of the stuff is crap. Same with Christmas Tree shops, Ocean State Job Lot etc.
As the economy improves, people want better stuff not crap

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #109
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
your confusing a slow and steady under Obama ,,,with guns a blazing under Trump.... you think its sustainable ? I dont

The rising stock market during Obama was fueled by government stimulus fiat money, not by growth in the economy. The QE stimulus money went into stocks rather than actual market growth because the market was so sluggish that there was more to gain from an inflated stock market than from an anemic business market.

Stock growth under Trump may actually be fueled by economic growth combined with an already bloated stock value.


Also when Obama was in office most conservatives said the stock market didn't count... now its all Trump has
I didn't care for the artificial growth of stock value under Obama, nor am I comfortable with its continuing and meteoric growth now even though some (maybe most) is due to an actual expanding economy. I suspect too much "value" is in inflated worth. We'll see how it eventually shakes out.
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright 2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com