Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-02-2019, 04:03 AM   #1
scottw

what will they think of next?

Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza said washing machines could help solve the city's problem with chronic student absenteeism. The city said some students may choose to stay home instead of coming to school in dirty clothes and being bullied.

During his budget address Tuesday night, Elorza said he wants to introduce a $50,000 program to bring washers and dryers to city schools.

Providence City Spokeswoman Emily Crowell said the city plans to do a survey to figure out exactly which schools need washing machines and how many are needed.

the Mayor must be getting a kickback from Kenmore
Old 05-02-2019, 05:31 AM   #2
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza said washing machines could help solve the city's problem with chronic student absenteeism. The city said some students may choose to stay home instead of coming to school in dirty clothes and being bullied.

During his budget address Tuesday night, Elorza said he wants to introduce a $50,000 program to bring washers and dryers to city schools.

Providence City Spokeswoman Emily Crowell said the city plans to do a survey to figure out exactly which schools need washing machines and how many are needed.

the Mayor must be getting a kickback from Kenmore
For what it's worth, this has been done in some other districts around the country with some success. I think it was a 60 minutes piece, but I could be misremembering where I saw it.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 05-02-2019, 05:56 AM   #3
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
For what it's worth, this has been done in some other districts around the country with some success. I think it was a 60 minutes piece, but I could be misremembering where I saw it.
"success" in a leftist view of success.....maybe they need a car wash too
Old 05-02-2019, 06:24 AM   #4
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
"success" in a leftist view of success.....maybe they need a car wash too
Success in that if they get more kids, who either from lack of means or support at home to matriculate through and graduate and become productive members of society.
Or just be snarky. Whatever works for you.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 05-02-2019, 06:35 AM   #5
Nebe

To think that there was once a time when children were going to and from school hungry. And then the lunch program was started. I bet there were a lot of #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s that thought that was a joke too.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 05-02-2019, 06:58 AM   #6
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
To think that there was once a time when children were going to and from school hungry. And then the lunch program was started. I bet there were a lot of #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s that thought that was a joke too.
if the schools are going to perform all of the parents duties, what are the parents going to do??? if parents aren't feeding their children or are sending them to school in dirty clothes that is child abuse...when do the parents ever get held accountable??? Do children who grow up with the school feeding them and washing their clothes and counseling them in every way then expect schools to do the same for their children?
Old 05-02-2019, 07:16 AM   #7
Nebe

Quote:
if the schools are going to perform all of the parents duties, what are the parents going to do??? if parents aren't feeding their children or are sending them to school in dirty clothes that is child abuse...when do the parents ever get held accountable??? Do children who grow up with the school feeding them and washing their clothes and counseling them in every way then expect schools to do the same for their children?
There’s a word in the dictionary called “empathy”. You should look it up and try to practice it.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:31 AM   #8
scottw

Quote:
There’s a word in the dictionary called “empathy”. You should look it up and try to practice it.
there's another "e" word called enabling.....
Old 05-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
How about organizing a fund raiser to pay for them? When did empathy require tax dollars? Get the people involved who would like to see these in the schools.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 05-02-2019, 07:53 AM   #10
wdmso

Outraged over Easter worshipers outraged over wahing. Machines school lunches.. outrage over abortion. When it comes to looking after their fellow man they are Christian in name only .

Guess we need to close all the food banks and church kitchens .. to stop these enablers from interfering in MAGA
Old 05-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #11
scottw

which democrat candidate will come out in favor of "Universal Laundry"?
Old 05-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #12
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Outraged over Easter worshipers outraged over wahing. Machines school lunches.. outrage over abortion. When it comes to looking after their fellow man they are Christian in name only .

Guess we need to close all the food banks and church kitchens .. to stop these enablers from interfering in MAGA
Oh look, the short bus has pulled up

Old 05-02-2019, 08:01 AM   #13
Nebe

You people are effed up.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:06 AM   #14
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:

Yet kids still go to school hungry. It is not the kids' fault, it is the parents responsibility though.

It is embarrassing as hell to go to school dirty and disheveled. And hungry and poor.

I am not opposed to these solutions to these problems but one of the main problems in many (but not all) cases, poor parenting, never gets well addressed. Slippery slope. You can have good parents you can have loving parents and if you are lucky, you have two good and loving parents. A lot of these kids simply don't.

Wayne will say it is Conservative's fault.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-02-2019, 09:10 AM   #15
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Parenting is going downhill, evidences everywhere
Old 05-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #16
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Parenting is going downhill, evidences everywhere

"evidence is everywhere" Hahaha, couldn't resist.

Yes it is, though far more often it impacts people with a worse start than the people with a better start. Of course, this is how the cycle repeats.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #17
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

English police isn’t your primary roll, there are those that revel in correcting grammar, you should leave that to the “experts”
Old 05-02-2019, 09:29 AM   #18
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
"evidence is everywhere" Hahaha, couldn't resist.

Yes it is, though far more often it impacts people with a worse start than the people with a better start. Of course, this is how the cycle repeats.
and you're not allowed to discuss the root causes of these social problems, else be labeled an "ist" or a "phobe".....or a MAGconservlican

Old 05-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #19
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
and you're not allowed to discuss the root causes of these social problems, else be labeled an "ist" or a "phobe".....or a MAGconservlican
theses root problems have been root problems for just about forever ..at least since the 50's

PS Blame isn't , the same as discussing the issue... but for many here Blaming is the only part of the discussion they wish to participate in
Old 05-02-2019, 02:04 PM   #20
scottw

Quote:

theses root problems have been root problems for just about forever ..at least since the 50's
poetic
Old 05-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #21
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
PS Blame isn't , the same as discussing the issue... but for many here Blaming is the only part of the discussion they wish to participate in
Thank You for finally coming to terms with that, the first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem.

now if you could just get Spence, Pete, and Paul onboard with that, you guys could have a weekly meeting. I hear the "Y" has good coffee

Old 05-02-2019, 08:08 PM   #22
Pete F.
Canceled

Old 05-03-2019, 07:21 AM   #23
PaulS

Quote:
empathy
Or lack of empathy
Old 05-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #24
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
now if you could just get Spence, Pete, and Paul onboard with that, you guys could have a weekly meeting. I hear the "Y" has good coffee
Haven't had coffee in years. Drink the occasional tea now. Came in from a snotty cold night on BI a few years ago in my wetsuit and the guy I was with asked if I wanted black tea to warm me up. It was delicious. Highly recommend it.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:21 AM   #25
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Or lack of empathy
What would Jesus say about today’s conservatives?
Old 05-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #26
detbuch

Quote:
What would Jesus say about today’s conservatives?
Same thing that he would say to or about Progressives. Something like "Render therefore to Trump the things that are Trump's; and to God, the things that are God’s,"
Old 05-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #27
DZ

Public school systems are a mess. Taxpayers have dumped tons of money into them - some programs work, but many don't. Ask any teacher in communities that have problems. Major issues are disruptive children in the learning environment and student absenteeism. School administrations hands are tied when they try to boot disruptive kids out of school and hold parents/guardians responsible for attendance. It's a very complex problem. Is shouldn't be any surprise why responsible parents/guardians are opting for private school or home schooling.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:01 PM   #28
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
Public school systems are a mess. Major issues are disruptive children in the learning environment and student absenteeism. School administrations hands are tied when they try to boot disruptive kids out of school and hold parents/guardians responsible for attendance.
leftists heard about this and are addressing the problem as only leftists can...

April 23 2019
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – The California State Senate voted to ban schools and principals from suspending students for “willful defiance” of teachers, staff, and administrators.

The Senate approved SB 419 Monday by a vote of 30-8. It moves to the Assembly next.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:55 AM   #29
wdmso

Quote:
leftists heard about this and are addressing the problem as only leftists can...

April 23 2019
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – The California State Senate voted to ban schools and principals from suspending students for “willful defiance” of teachers, staff, and administrators.

The Senate approved SB 419 Monday by a vote of 30-8. It moves to the Assembly next.
And conservatives are doing what they do best .. nothing. because nothing motivates the base like blaming liberals for all the country's issues .. yet never providing a plan themselves. Unless it has the word cut remove defund ..

Must be nice for conservatives to not have anyone on assistance.. who support their party ...

The party of the fetus... cherished in the womb hated in the light . It's all so transparent..
Old 05-04-2019, 08:20 AM   #30
detbuch

Quote:
And conservatives are doing what they do best .. nothing. because nothing motivates the base like blaming liberals for all the country's issues .. yet never providing a plan themselves. Unless it has the word cut remove defund ..

Must be nice for conservatives to not have anyone on assistance.. who support their party ...

The party of the fetus... cherished in the womb hated in the light . It's all so transparent..
Thanks for the moment of ironic cheer. I have to admit, wrapping up your myopic little rant with "It's all so transparent" made me bust out in a laugh. With a little tweak here or there, you could be a hit on Comedy Central.