Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-15-2018, 03:06 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

The Market is so good that Trump can't mess it up

One can only hope

From Marketwatch
Tim Mullaney
It’s a funny time in the stock market right now: Wall Street is dominated by college-educated types, who, polls say, think Donald Trump is a joke whose trade policies are a mess that threaten the economic expansion.

And while you can find potential signs of the next U.S. downturn in housing data and in the chaos rolling through emerging markets, it’s hard to make a case that it’s here or anywhere especially close.

On the plus side, second-quarter earnings were just boffo. They really were.

So does that mean stocks have another 10% to climb this year? An increasing number of big and small outlets seem to be making the argument that they do, including at least three important reports this week from Goldman Sachs, BlackRock and veteran strategist/economist Hugh Johnson.

Everyone sees the ways that Trump’s follies should be harshing our buzz — exploding budget deficits, threats from tariff wars with a couple of dozen countries. But corporate earnings make the case that this rally is not over yet — especially since revenue went up by double digits for companies in the Standard & Poor’s 500 SPX, -0.76% , negating the argument that earnings gains were all about tax cuts and thus ephemeral.
Indeed, Goldman’s report this week is headlined “The Most Out-of-Consensus Question We Received: What If Activity is Better Than Everyone Expects?” And it’s backed by a similar analysis from buyside giant BlackRock, plus an update from Johnson, who argues that the bull market looks like it will last through 2019.

Goldman notes that earnings per share rose 25% in the second quarter, from a year ago — with the most earnings beats we’ve seen in seven years. They’re sticking with their forecast that the S&P will stay around 2850 through year-end — but say all the earnings beats could push it to 3150. If, that is, Trump eases his tariff battle with China and the Federal Reserve doesn’t rush interest-rate hikes. Sales rose 21% at technology companies like Amazon.com and Microsoft, Goldman said, and 12% overall.

BlackRock makes the point that U.S. earnings complement the looser monetary policy that China has adopted to offset trade tensions, and that an unusually high number of U.S. companies are raising profit forecasts.

“Almost 80% of the companies in the MSCI USA Index that offer guidance have raised their full-year forecast for earnings, sales or both so far this year,” BlackRock strategist Richard Turnill said. “This compares with an average of 63% since global financial crisis ended.”

Johnson argues that the Fed’s current pace of interest-rate hikes won’t cut into growth meaningfully for another year or more. Along the same lines, J.P. Morgan is out arguing that profit growth is going to keep investment moving forward.

“Companies spend if they have the money,” J.P. Morgan stock strategist Mislav Matejka says. There is “a clear link between profits and [capital expenditures], with profits leading. 23% EPS growth in the U.S. this year, on top of even stronger cash flow, is likely to lead to a move up in capex.”

None of this means Trump has done much to cause the good news. It’s easy to explain the robust economy as an extension of 2014, when the economy grew 2.9% versus the 3.15% annual rate of 2018’s first two quarters. Real income growth and job growth were better in 2014 than since Trump took over. The acceleration in 2014 was interrupted by a growth slowdown in Asia — crimping U.S. exports — followed by moderate growth in ‘15 and ‘16 as China’s markets stabilized.

The simple explanation is usually the correct one — and it says the economy is simply marching moderately forward as it has since 2010, in an expansion that’s not especially overheated yet, as soft wage and productivity gains imply.

Neither does it mean the market will rescue Trump’s party this fall, because there’s no association between stock returns and congressional elections. The Dow DJIA, -0.54% and S&P 500 all rose sharply in 2006, 2010 and 2014 — when sitting presidents’ parties got hammered in midterm elections. President George W. Bush’s party won eight net House seats in 2002 — a year the Dow dropped 17%. The worst incumbent-party wipeout in Senate elections ever happened in 1958 — a year the Dow rose 44%.

That means you should invest based on the economy — and not on politics, a point I’ve made before. Like the president or not, he matters much less than 328 million hard-working, creative Americans — whose companies are making a good bit of money right now. As we debate whether this president is traitor, a dope or just a bigot, that’s actually kind of a comfort.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #2
spence

Interesting opinion piece by Will yesterday...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.0d5d33b053cd

There's a correction looming. Tax cuts probably pushed it out a year or so...trade wars might bring it back on track.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
scottw

there is ALWAYS a correction looming....
Old 08-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Interesting opinion piece by Will yesterday...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.0d5d33b053cd

There's a correction looming. Tax cuts probably pushed it out a year or so...trade wars might bring it back on track.
the correction would be looming regardless of who had won. i have stop loss orders on everything i own, i believe it’s coming soon.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-18-2018, 08:38 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
right, but it’s only someone’s fault when a republican is in the white house.

the next correction won’t be nearly as bad as 2008, and if you’re far enough away from retirement to ride it out, corrections and recessions can be a good thing, buying in the dips with dollar cost averaging.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
By that logic there is always a boom looming...meaningless.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #7
Nebe

Trump is in my opinion trying very hard to crash the market. Or at the very least manipulate it. Who’s to know he does it have family members who know how to invest before he makes his moronic moves?? America is definitely not first. He is first. We come last.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
scottw

Quote:
By that logic there is always a boom looming...meaningless.

wrong...a correction could be in either direction big or small....a boom...is well...a boom...sad I had to explain that to you
Old 08-19-2018, 01:51 PM   #9
spence

Quote:
wrong...a correction could be in either direction big or small....a boom...is well...a boom...sad I had to explain that to you
History has a cycle of ups and downs, some small and some large. At some time a boom market will occur unless we kill ourselves first.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #10
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
right, but it’s only someone’s fault when a republican is in the white house
No it’s someone’s blame to take when they have claimed credit for the rise daily in tweets, speeches or thru the WHPRess office
Every speech Trump gives he claims it
Every time Sarah Sanders appears she claims that the market is Trumps doing
More than 50 tweets claiming the market is Trumps
I think he will own it unless you’re admitting he’s just conning us about his effect on the markets

Last edited by Pete F.; 08-19-2018 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: Revise

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #11
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
No it’s someone’s blame to take when they have claimed credit for the rise daily in tweets, speeches or thru the WHPRess office
Every speech Trump gives he claims it
Every time Sarah Sanders appears she claims that the market is Trumps doing
More than 50 tweets claiming the market is Trumps
I think he will own it unless you’re admitting he’s just conning us about his effect on the markets
Do the same causes that give rise to a booming market also cause a falling market? If Trump has done something to cause the market to grow, he can take credit for it. If something else other than what he has done causes the market to shrink, he isn't necessarily the one to blame.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #12
scottw

Quote:
History has a cycle of ups and downs, some small and some large. At some time a boom market will occur unless we kill ourselves first.
Captain Obvious
Old 08-19-2018, 03:28 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
Captain Obvious
I guess your missed that before.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #14
scottw

Quote:
I guess your missed that before.
yup...I was going to write that with "There's a correction looming"...but it was more fun to mock you