Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-27-2019, 11:43 AM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Why is the federal government funding special Olympics? I'm going to ask this question again, which has not been answered the several times I asked it before, ARE STATES NECESSARY?
I totally get what you're saying, and I agree with you 100% in principle. But I have no issue with paying federal income tax to fund the Special Olympics. Sometimes decency can prevail over constitutional technicalities. Maybe that can lead to a slippery slope over what different folks define as "decency".

Cut the National Endowment for the Arts. Manhattan stock brokers don't need my money to subsidize their opera tickets.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:05 PM   #32
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Hard choices no doubt. What you cut/increase is in many ways a reflection of your values.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
It's education, aren't they all valuable in some respect? $7B still has to come out.

They've always said that when they have to reduce spending it's going to hurt. Special Olympics at least looks like they are solvent enough to absorb the hit.

They removed scholarships for children of Iraq/Afghanistan Vets who died in action. That one hurts too.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 03-27-2019, 12:37 PM   #33
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I totally get what you're saying, and I agree with you 100% in principle. But I have no issue with paying federal income tax to fund the Special Olympics. Sometimes decency can prevail over constitutional technicalities. Maybe that can lead to a slippery slope over what different folks define as "decency".

Cut the National Endowment for the Arts. Manhattan stock brokers don't need my money to subsidize their opera tickets.
Jim, no matter how much your sympathy desires the federal government to overreach its powers in order to do what you consider compassionate, you are not going to be allowed to pick and choose which compassionate unconstitutional measures will be allowed. None of the goodies that the left want to fund nationally will be cut in order to appease your desire to fund just the ones you prefer.

In the meantime, as you perfectly well know, the national debt rises. And is never paid down. But just continues to grow as we add new and wonderfully compassionate and nice sounding schemes to the federal roster of caring things it will do "for the people."

This has to stop. Reign the federal government back to within its constitutionally prescribed limitations and miraculously there will be wealth left to the private sector to do wonderful things "for the people". And the people will actually have a say in what those things will be.

When compassion is left to "the people," it will be humane. When it is a function of bureaucracies, it will be as humane as tasks delivered by robots. And the robots will be programmed by a few selected people who have their own interests.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim, no matter how much your sympathy desires the federal government to overreach its powers in order to do what you consider compassionate, you are not going to be allowed to pick and choose which compassionate unconstitutional measures will be allowed. None of the goodies that the left want to fund nationally will be cut in order to appease your desire to fund just the ones you prefer.

In the meantime, as you perfectly well know, the national debt rises. And is never paid down. But just continues to grow as we add new and wonderfully compassionate and nice sounding schemes to the federal roster of caring things it will do "for the people."

This has to stop. Reign the federal government back to within its constitutionally prescribed limitations and miraculously there will be wealth left to the private sector to do wonderful things "for the people". And the people will actually have a say in what those things will be.

When compassion is left to "the people," it will be humane. When it is a function of bureaucracies, it will be as humane as tasks delivered by robots. And the robots will be programmed by a few selected people who have their own interests.
I freely concede that I have no logical response to your constitutionally-based argument. I just don't like it. That also makes me a bit of a hypocrite, as I regularly use your logic to make the point that we're supposed to play by the rules, and the rulebook is the Constitution.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:57 AM   #35
wdmso

Reign the federal government back to within its constitutionally prescribed limitations

Says the guy who Has no issues with Trump's end around Congress on wall funding LOL

Pentagon Takes $1 Billion From Military Personnel Account To Build Border Fence Conservatives are all Giddy

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos proposed massive cuts in the budget request for fiscal 2020, including eliminating $17.6 million to support the Special Olympics.

"We are not doing our children any favors when we borrow from their future in order to invest in systems and policies that are not yielding better results," (is she talking about Military programs like the Osprey and others )

FYI one F-35A in 2019 cost $85 million

and Conservatives are all Giddy and making excuse with twisted Rational how this is Justifiable but again since we AKA (republicans) cut off the country's funding sources with are giant tax cut .... now need to cut spending all over .... Cause and effect
Old 03-28-2019, 05:27 AM   #36
Sea Dangles

Not sure who to blame,Trump or his base🤷🏽#^&♂️.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:28 AM   #37
scottw

quick quiz for wayne....which is a constitutionally mandated role of the federal government... national defense or special olympics?

I love the special olympics...just following your genius here..

also...did federal revenue increase or decrease last year? is it expected to increase or decrease this year?....is it projected to increase or decrease next year?
Old 03-28-2019, 06:12 AM   #38
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
just following your genius here..
Good luck with that....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 03-28-2019, 07:02 AM   #39
PaulS

Quote:
Jim, no matter how much your sympathy desires the federal government to overreach its powers in order to do what you consider compassionate, you are not going to be allowed to pick and choose which compassionate unconstitutional measures will be allowed..
So is funding for the Special Olympics and some of the other thing that were mentioned earlier unconstitutional? Things like the education department and scholarships for the children of vets who died in action.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:51 AM   #40
scottw

Quote:
So is funding for the Special Olympics and some of the other thing that were mentioned earlier unconstitutional? Things like the education department and scholarships for the children of vets who died in action.
should the federal government give millions of dollars to every private charity organization out there and shouldn't they all get the same funding in the interest of fairness?
Old 03-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #41
detbuch

Quote:
Article one Section eight of the Constitution lists all the categories on which the Congress shall have the power to lay and collect taxes (ergo to fund). Funding for the Special Olympics would not fall under any of those categories. Therefor, Congress doing so would be exercising a spending authority which it constitutionally does not have. That is, it would be unconstitutional.

Perhaps you could read Article one Section eight and point out how funding the Special Olympics falls within any category of spending that the Constitution gives the Congress power.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #42
PaulS

So then any Repub. budget that provides funds for the Special Olympics is unconstitutional. And yet you have been crying for years about how the Dems. hate the constitution and don't understand it. Seems like your hate is only 1 sided and hypocritical.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:53 AM   #43
scottw

Quote:
So then any Repub. budget that provides funds for the Special Olympics is unconstitutional. And yet you have been crying for years about how the Dems. hate the constitution and don't understand it. Seems like your hate is only 1 sided and hypocritical.
are you ok? I'm worried about your mental health
Old 03-28-2019, 11:07 AM   #44
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
are you ok? I'm worried about your mental health
I'm fine. Thanks. busy at work during this time of year.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #45
detbuch

Quote:
I didn't say the Dems hate the Constitution. I said Progressives do. There are Progressives in both parties. Progressives have done a very good and thorough job of spreading their unconstitutional rule by fiat throughout our entire system of government.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:59 PM   #46
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Hard choices no doubt. What you cut/increase is in many ways a reflection of your values.
Could be a change of heart at the White House regarding the special olympics. Would you consider such a decision a reflection of values? Does the word empathy belong in this discussion? If it is true,Trump will still be lambasted somehow.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-29-2019, 03:38 AM   #47
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Could be a change of heart at the White House regarding the special olympics. Would you consider such a decision a reflection of values? Does the word empathy belong in this discussion? If it is true,Trump will still be lambasted somehow.
No he changed his mind because it made him look bad... nothing to follow
Old 03-29-2019, 06:23 AM   #48
scottw

I'll ask again....should the federal government give millions of dollars to every private charity organization out there and shouldn't they all get the same funding in the interest of fairness? Should "well-connected" wealthy private organizations and charities get more federal funding than those less well-connected and of lesser means????

from USA TODAY

Plus, Special Olympics has donors and lobbyists who are well-connected to members of Congress.

Special Olympics posted almost $149 million in revenue in 2017, with $15 million – or about 10 percent – coming from federal grants, according to its financials

Why is Special Olympics getting so much attention now, when this cut was proposed in previous years?

The same cut to Special Olympics was proposed in the 2009 department budget, long before Trump and DeVos.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:42 AM   #49
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
No he changed his mind because it made him look bad... nothing to follow
I was wondering who would win the prize.... haha . Who would have guessed that you would be the first snowflake to stand forward and (as usual) give no credit. So he is back in a no win situation. Damned if you do,damned if you don’t. Thanks for displaying your lack of integrity on a regular basis. That could not have worked out better.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-29-2019, 07:08 AM   #50
scottw

I just learned...thanks to the tv, that single members of the military are being forced to pay for their own fertility treatment if they want to have kids....when will these horrible injustices end????

WHY ISN'T THE GOVERNMENT PAYING FOR EVERYTHING!!!!!
Old 03-29-2019, 07:22 AM   #51
PaulS

Quote:
I was wondering who would win the prize.... haha . Who would have guessed that you would be the first snowflake to stand forward and (as usual) give no credit. So he is back in a no win situation. Damned if you do,damned if you don’t. Thanks for displaying your lack of integrity on a regular basis. That could not have worked out better.
He tells you what happened then you need to come back and insult him.

It could not have worked out better as you demonstrated again that you have nothing to add but childish insults.

Snowflake - what a clown you are.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:49 AM   #52
Sea Dangles

Quote:
He tells you what happened then you need to come back and insult him.

It could not have worked out better as you demonstrated again that you have nothing to add but childish insults.

Snowflake - what a clown you are.
Does this mean you agree with the other snowflake? That this was just a pr move to calm the masses. I asked you the question but he decided to answer for you. Like I said,damned if you do and damned if you don’t. This is a perfect example of the left bashing Trump regardless of if he does what they consider to be the right thing. The policy doesn’t matter,it’s whose policy that the snowflakes are united against.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-29-2019, 07:55 AM   #53
PaulS

Quote:
Does this mean you agree with the other snowflake? That this was just a pr move to calm the masses. I asked you the question but he decided to answer for you. Like I said,damned if you do and damned if you don’t. This is a perfect example of the left bashing Trump regardless of if he does what they consider to be the right thing. The policy doesn’t matter,it’s whose policy that the snowflakes are united against.
snowflakes - come up with something original (if possible).

The only reason it was reversed was that pols. on both sides hated it. Devoss didn't know what to say when questioned by reporters about it and stood there not saying anything like a 5 year old.

This is a perfect example of the Trumpsters defending his policies no matter what he says or does.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:41 AM   #54
Sea Dangles

Quote:
snowflakes - come up with something original (if possible).

The only reason it was reversed was that pols. on both sides hated it. Devoss didn't know what to say when questioned by reporters about it and stood there not saying anything like a 5 year old.

This is a perfect example of the Trumpsters defending his policies no matter what he says or does.
I am honest enough to admit you have a point there Paul. Are you willing to admit the snowflakes are against his policies no matter what he says or does? This is a shining example that he can’t do the right thing in their eyes regardless of whether they agree or not. As far as Devos is concerned,you even admitted the cuts are hard and were hard pressed to come up with an alternative to slash budget. Truth is that the special olympics are well funded and would continue to flourish without public aid but the visuals were certainly bad. Again,Trump did the right thing.He appeased his base as well as the snowflakes but still gets criticized.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-29-2019, 09:12 AM   #55
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Truth is that the special olympics are well funded and would continue to flourish without public aid but the visuals were certainly bad. Again,Trump did the right thing.He appeased his base as well as the snowflakes but still gets criticized.
He did the politically correct thing, doesn't make it the right one.
If the truth is that the Special Olympics is actually well funded and doesn't need the help to survive, for what reason other than political expediency does he choose to fund it.
If you feel that the federal government's role is this type of funding, it's likely that there are many other fledgling organizations with noble purpose that could be helped to grow with the application of federal aid, and attain critical mass and also become self funding.
Or do we just give federal funding to everything that sounds like a good idea forever?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-29-2019, 09:14 AM   #56
wdmso

Quote:
Only the faithful would think he deserves credit and a hero reversing what should have never been proposed to start with

Integrity as if you know what it means lol
Old 03-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #57
detbuch

Quote:
Only the faithful would think he deserves credit and a hero reversing what should have never been proposed to start with

He is not a hero to me for doing this. He is either a coward in this matter, a typical politician with his finger to the wind, or too prone to sentiment and ignorant of his constitutional role in the matter. I think it is the latter. But not less wrong or excusable just because of being done by kind hearted sentiment.

The cut should damned well have been proposed, as well as cuts to all the other funding of unconstitutional obligations that the federal government has committed itself to.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #58
Sea Dangles

Quote:

You do understand that it was not he who proposed it in the first place I hope. I don’t know who thinks this makes him a hero but if that is your impression then you are a fool. If you don’t give him credit for reversing the policy then exactly who gets the credit? Try to think rather than spouting the snowflake anthem.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #59
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
He did the politically correct thing, doesn't make it the right one.
If the truth is that the Special Olympics is actually well funded and doesn't need the help to survive, for what reason other than political expediency does he choose to fund it.
If you feel that the federal government's role is this type of funding, it's likely that there are many other fledgling organizations with noble purpose that could be helped to grow with the application of federal aid, and attain critical mass and also become self funding.
Or do we just give federal funding to everything that sounds like a good idea forever?
All good points PeteF., that is why you are open to criticism no matter which way you turn in situations like these. Stealing from Peter to pay Paul.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 03-29-2019, 02:48 PM   #60
PaulS

Quote:
You do understand that it was not he who proposed it in the first place I hope. I don’t know who thinks this makes him a hero but if that is your impression then you are a fool. If you don’t give him credit for reversing the policy then exactly who gets the credit? Try to think rather than spouting the snowflake anthem.
So who proposed the cut to the special olympics in Trump's budget?