Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #1
hulkyj61
The one that got away

Tube Wire

I know they're not plugs, but I have been making a few tubes. I am looking for advice on which kind of wire to use (I have been using leader wire) on my tubes. Should i go with somthing stiffer?? or should i stick with the leader stuff???

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
hulkyj61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

leader wire isn't really stiff enough, I think a light gauge Stainless steal wire would be best. you want to keep your tubes in a loop so it isn't to straight. if that makes any sense

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:17 PM   #3
hooked

Check with a couple shops to see if they have any short lengths of stainless steel trolling wire left over from spooling up reels. 80 to 100 # test doubled up and twisted will keep a good spiral shape.
hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I use many different wire's for different effects. Stiffer I use Malin Hard-Wire stainless steel leader in 220 lb and 180 lb. size. Comes in 42 foot lengths for around 3 bucks. Many different sizes available. Try different ones. I also use multi strand stainless for more flexible tubes. Paul

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote