Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 01-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Saltheart

No heat this morning

Woke up to no heat. Fortunately I have a service contract and they do work on Sundays. Waiting for the service guy to call. Would be nice to go somewhere warm to wait. Like a place with food and drinks but I don't want to miss him so here I sit.

I was surprised how fast the temp dropped just overnight. That's because I only really heat 1/3 of the house so the other 2 zones suck the heat out of the heated zone pretty fast.

Time to roast some chicken or something. That'll get some heat in here!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
iamskippy

happen to us with a pellet stove we are getting use to it was during those few night when it was single numbers i can empathize with you.

did this have any effect one the work the boys did yesterday?
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Saltheart

The part of the house where that I use and heat (and where we did the rodbuilding) stayed above 60. The rest of the house that I don't really use , I set at 50 normally was very coldthis morning. I was afraid another cold night on that end of the house and I might have some pipe freezing issues. Service guy came , he played around here and there. Heat just wasn't working. Then he got it to come on but didn't really know why. Said if it goes off again call again. With no reason found , I wonder how long before it doesn't work again. I told him this happened two years ago and although no apparent reason for failure , the other guy replaced the thermo pile thing to the pilot and it was fine. Todays guy said that wasn't the issue and started sh i tting on the last repair guy but it was the last repair guy who got it working. Anyway , we'll see what happens next.

Saltheart
Old 01-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Saltheart

Well 2 hours later he was back cause it wasn't working again. This time he replaced the "aquastat". Hopefully that's it.

Saltheart
Old 01-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
Well 2 hours later he was back cause it wasn't working again. This time he replaced the "aquastat". Hopefully that's it.
you live in a fish tank ?
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
BigBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamskippy View Post
you live in a fish tank ?
Forced hot water Skip.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Saltheart

Yep , forced hot water. Turns out some repair guy in the past (have no idea how far back) replaced the flue damper which then required a new aquastat but instead he did a jury rigged wire jumper to keep the old aquastat. That jury rigged jumper finally gave out. This guy today put in a new Aquastat (correct model for the damper) . I just hope that's the end of the problem. I'm too busy this week to be dealing with a recurring heating system problem.

Saltheart
Old 01-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
5/0
Eels

The damper has too functions to it,one is to prevent cold air from rushing into the boiler after the call for heat has finished,this is to stop the cool air cooling the heat ex changer.
Second function is for safety,if the damper dosen't open the unit will not fire up and dump Co2 into the dewling.This damper should have a by pass switch on it for Auto or manual mode,, this if supported should be located on the plastic housing.when the 24volt motor dies you can manually open the damper and move the switch to manual mode.
If the circuit board chit's the bed you now have to put a jumper in place,there are four wire's and it is important to jump the right one's,if not the unit will run till the cow's come home........causing the T&P to dump water/pressure over load.
The aqua stat is a key factor for you're boiler this will detect actual boiler water temp, as the probe sit's into a well,on a call for heat this will turn on the circ pump for several seconds to move the water in the loop(s)then it'll send 24 volts to the solenoid in the gas valve to release the hounds.

Glad to hear you got youre heat back on line,I hope his price's were reasonable.

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
Saltheart

Service contract originally through the gas company. No charge for todays work. I'd have been nailed for the cost of todays repairs I'm sure! My unit is gettiing old so I decided the service contract was a good idea.

Saltheart
Old 01-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
5/0
Eels

Quote:
Service contract originally through the gas company. No charge for todays work. I'd have been nailed for the cost of todays repairs I'm sure! My unit is gettiing old so I decided the service contract was a good idea.
Glad to hear you have a contract this a big help when you have a service call,do they come twice a year for PM's,?One for heating(fall PM)and one in the spring for you're A/C?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
Saltheart

At one time the contract included a heat PM but they tell me now the contract I have does not include it. I don't know how it changed but adding the PM back in will cost me a lot extra so I just call when it doesn't work which is covered.

I do not have central air. I seldom get too hot and on the few days its bothering me I run a big window unit. There have been some summers I didn't run it at all but last summer with the heart problem I ran it a lot. I had the highest electric bill last August of any month ever going back about 20 years! However when your heart is on the fritz the electric bill is not really something you worry about too much at the time.

Saltheart
Old 01-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
5/0
Eels

Quote:
At one time the contract included a heat PM but they tell me now the contract I have does not include it. I don't know how it changed but adding the PM back in will cost me a lot extra so I just call when it doesn't work which is covered.

I do not have central air. I seldom get too hot and on the few days its bothering me I run a big window unit. There have been some summers I didn't run it at all but last summer with the heart problem I ran it a lot. I had the highest electric bill last August of any month ever going back about 20 years! However when your heart is on the fritz the electric bill is not really something you worry about too much at the time.
I hate to ask but what dose the PM cover,If you don't have A/C and the PM dosen't cover heat then what dose it cover?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #13
Saltheart

The service contract covers repairs (parts and labor) of the primary home heating system in season , not PM visits off season. At one time it did include one off season PM visit per year.

It only cost 79.95 a year in 2010 and all repairs are covered (don't have any newer cost number as I went on the auto renew in 2011 , 12 and 13)

Last edited by Saltheart; 01-29-2012 at 07:46 PM..

Saltheart