Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2018, 06:54 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen
iTrader: (0)
 
nightfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,330
Chainsaw recommendation

With all the storms our part of the world has had plenty of tree damage and clean up. I bought an Echo CS310 14" chainsaw in 2015 to clean up limbs and trees that had fallen on clients' homes and property. Used it this year after first storm, and have loaned it out to two other contractors who needed to do emergency access clean ups. Both of those pros were impressed enough to go out and buy the same saw at the orange box store for themselves. For $200, it is a good deal. Great for limbing, b u cking and even felling trees up to about 18" diameter if you have access to both sides. Just a heads up if you are in the market for an easy starting, lighter weight saw.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:56 PM   #2
TheSpecialist
Hardcore Equipment Tester
iTrader: (0)
 
TheSpecialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Abington, MA
Posts: 6,155
Blog Entries: 1
I had a Husq 435 from Lowes saw was a piece of junk Had it fixed 2 times in the 4 years I owned it It would never stay running and was a PIA to start. I just replaced it with a Sthil MS 250 Awesome saw Start up overtime and is pretty powerful

Bent Rods and Screaming Reels!

Spot NAZI
TheSpecialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:45 AM   #3
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man
iTrader: (0)
 
piemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 8,547
Blog Entries: 2
As a wood cutter at a golf course I cut everyday. We had Husqies but they would die on the guys. I started bringing my Stihls to work and now the club is buying Stihls.
As an aside, I have 15 acres and am always cutting. I have tried every brand over the course of 45 years here and Stihl is the only way to go. Just be advised that the new Stihls have a problem with a computer chip that runs the fuel. I have been told that the new MS 362 is junk. I run a few old "0" series. 028AV Super, 034, 036.
I do have a new saw a MS271 which I use for limbing and smaller trees and it runs fine.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:55 PM   #4
MikeD
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
MikeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Humtroit
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
As a wood cutter at a golf course I cut everyday. We had Husqies but they would die on the guys. I started bringing my Stihls to work and now the club is buying Stihls.
As an aside, I have 15 acres and am always cutting. I have tried every brand over the course of 45 years here and Stihl is the only way to go. Just be advised that the new Stihls have a problem with a computer chip that runs the fuel. I have been told that the new MS 362 is junk. I run a few old "0" series. 028AV Super, 034, 036.
I do have a new saw a MS271 which I use for limbing and smaller trees and it runs fine.
A little bit of an aside question for you. I bought the Husqvarna 450 and after everything I read I definitely wish I went with a Stihl. BUT, so far the thing has been great (2+ years) After this seasons noreaster march I feel like I went from guy that can cut some cord wood to guy that can do ice sculptures at a party. Its got the 20" bar and seems to have great power. I've been using the rip off canned gas with no ethanol and making sure the chain oil is always good. Any other tips for keeping her humming?
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:33 AM   #5
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man
iTrader: (0)
 
piemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 8,547
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
A little bit of an aside question for you. I bought the Husqvarna 450 and after everything I read I definitely wish I went with a Stihl. BUT, so far the thing has been great (2+ years) After this seasons noreaster march I feel like I went from guy that can cut some cord wood to guy that can do ice sculptures at a party. Its got the 20" bar and seems to have great power. I've been using the rip off canned gas with no ethanol and making sure the chain oil is always good. Any other tips for keeping her humming?
Mike, don't get me wrong Husqies are great saws. I'm partial to Stihls because I have been cutting with them for so long. I have a friend who has cut commercially and wouldn't touch a Stihl. It is a personal preference.
As for tips, keep your chain sharp and cut the rakers down every few sharpens. If you don't sharpen yourself....LEARN. You can put a
better edge on than any of the commercial ripoff guys that sharpen with a grinding wheel.
Make sure you keep your gas clean. I don't know what you run for oil but I run synthetic is my newer saws but conventional 2 cycle in my older saws. I run a little heavier oil to gas mixture. I like 32 to 1 rather than 40 to one. Just extra lubrication for your cylinder.

If you don't have cutting chaps, get a pair. You slip once and cut an artery in your leg and you will bleed out before you can get help. We always wear cutting chaps, eye protection, gloves and, if we are dropping big trees, a hard hat. Most homeowners don't wear any PPE. I cringe every time I see someone cutting without wearing PPE. I'm cutting commercially so it's the law that we wear PPE but I wear the same when I'm cutting at home. A chainsaw is one of the most dangerous pieces of equipment you will ever use.

Last edited by piemma; 06-12-2018 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: spelling

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:37 AM   #6
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man
iTrader: (0)
 
piemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 8,547
Blog Entries: 2
BTW, I used a new Husqui 562 the other day and it is a screamer. The commercial guys consider the Husqvarna's the rice rockets of the saw world and the Stihls the Harley Davidsons. The Husquis do rev much higher.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:13 PM   #7
MikeD
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
MikeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Humtroit
Posts: 262
Thats great advice, thank you. I've been using the 40:1 mix with the 95 octane/no ethanol canned mix so I think I"m good there. I hear what your saying 100% with safety. I saw a great thread where everyone was talking about different phobia's. Some one asked what a fear of chainsaws was and a guy replied "common sense" That stuck with me. I have been cutting in my carhartt doubled up lined overalls but I've looked at the chaps. Seems like a smart investment. I think you convinced me. I dont drop trees, but I'm a bit of a pyro and love taking hardwood to season for the fireplace. Its been a great spring for that. Lots of wood on the ground. Of all the tools I own I believe this is the one that I'm most afraid of, I think it should stay that way. Thanks for the reply.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #8
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man
iTrader: (0)
 
piemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 8,547
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Thats great advice, thank you. I've been using the 40:1 mix with the 95 octane/no ethanol canned mix so I think I"m good there. I hear what your saying 100% with safety. I saw a great thread where everyone was talking about different phobia's. Some one asked what a fear of chainsaws was and a guy replied "common sense" That stuck with me. I have been cutting in my carhartt doubled up lined overalls but I've looked at the chaps. Seems like a smart investment. I think you convinced me. I dont drop trees, but I'm a bit of a pyro and love taking hardwood to season for the fireplace. Its been a great spring for that. Lots of wood on the ground. Of all the tools I own I believe this is the one that I'm most afraid of, I think it should stay that way. Thanks for the reply.
You are welcome. Didn't intend to make you fearful of the saw, just respect what it is....a dangerous tool. Respect it and take proper precautions and you'll be fine.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com