Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 06-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Spring Surf Club Challenge Results

I just received the results of the annual Spring Surf Fishing Club Challenge, and they are pasted below with angler names removed. 7 clubs entered, presumably 5 to 10 anglers fishing per club along all of the beaches of RI, and not a single striper over 36 inches (minimum length for entry) was caught/entered. Several years ago I was involved in a suggestion for the fall version of this tournament to remove striped bass as a kill species for entry (but not to prevent anglers from harvesting a fish they were to enter) and I was demonized for "seeking to ruin the tournament" by several people involved. I was told that there is nothing wrong with the striped bass population, and so on. Sure this spring has been off for a number of reasons, but if somewhere in the range of 35 to 50 anglers fishing the RI surf for 2 days and nights can't land a 36" fish or better, then I find it hard to believe that everything is fine.

Quote:
We had seven teams participate:
RIMS, Narragansett Surfcasters, Hartford Surfcasters, Newport Surfcasters, Weekapaug Surfcasters, Pioneer Valley Boat and Surf Fishing Club, RISSA Surfcasters

The raffle raised $130 plus entry fees, $655 will be donated to Johnny Cake Center.

No bass were entered.

RIMS 1st Place
Bluefish 5.44, 5.02, 3.41=13.87lbs.

Biggest Bluefish 5.44lbs $100 Narrow River Rods
5.02, 3.41, 2.48, 2.27, 1.99, 2.16

RISAA 2nd Place
Bluefish 1.82, 1.76, 1.70=5.28

I thank you all for participating. Anytime you can have fun fishing and raise money for a charity, doesn't get any better than that.
Have a good summer and fish hard and be SAFE!

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlapinski View Post
Sure this spring has been off for a number of reasons, but if somewhere in the range of 35 to 50 anglers fishing the RI surf for 2 days and nights can't land a 36" fish or better, then I find it hard to believe that everything is fine.
The future ain't what it used to be....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #3
bassballer

Wow!!!, the last year i fished in this tourney we (NPT) I think weighed in 2 fish over 35#, and 1 around 29#. With a bunch of other good size fish taken through the weekend.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
Nebe

Keep killin em boys. Good job!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Narr Bay was hot early this AM (I mean real early in a downpour). 5 fish over 20#. All on swimming plugs on top. I was not in the surf but in my boat.
I know the surf has sucked but maybe the fish are just late. The fish I got this AM all had sea lice so they were fresh.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #6
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Narr Bay was hot early this AM (I mean real early in a downpour). 5 fish over 20#. All on swimming plugs on top. I was not in the surf but in my boat.
I know the surf has sucked but maybe the fish are just late. The fish I got this AM all had sea lice so they were fresh.
I've been out in the surf 12 times in the last 30 days and landed 5 striped bass total. My first two were over 30 pounds, then a 47# followed by one about 20# and my last fish was a measly 26". Sure things could just be behind, but if so then they are really behind. That said, I am still holding out hope for it to somehow get back on track and normalize unless this is the new normal.

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
tlapinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:18 AM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

A combination of factors from weather to weather to weather but also a reduction in the fish.

Toby - the stand was worth making and still is.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:37 AM   #8
Rockfish9

Quote:
that's nice to hear... I'm holding out hope on the new moon due to the timing of it ... the July full could be special as well.. it's been slim pickings up our way for anything over 10lbs... there are a few good fish...very few... all the 22-26" fish you want...but it sure aint like old times.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #9
JFigliuolo

I (along with Eben) was one of the VERY first to say that things were not looking good. I was rediculed and told to fish harder, move around, change tactics, etc...

It saddens me when fisherman whose abilities I respect and admire are coming up short.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:10 AM   #10
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

And it is about to get
much worse next week. Let the stacking begin.
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #11
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Keep killin em boys. Good job!
I love this site! a fishing site that screams "Fish Killer! Fish Killer!"
WTF
Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:34 AM   #12
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
WTF
That's just Eben. You will go crazy if you listen to him. A month or so back he was accusing me of being a spot burner because I was naming general locations. He's just busting balls.

And like the Professor said, "wait till next week" when comm opens in Mass. They will be killing bass at a record rate in the CCC because that's where the fish have consistently been this year.

I have given up on being a conservationist.

"KILLEM' ALL! LET GOD SORT THEM OUT"!

Old 06-22-2017, 06:18 AM   #13
bassballer

Quote:

I have given up on being a conservationist.

"KILLEM' ALL! LET GOD SORT THEM OUT"!
Can't beatem, join em Paul. Killin for a livin! Might as well make gas money while were out there!

Old 06-22-2017, 06:31 AM   #14
Nebe

Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:13 AM   #15
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassballer View Post
Can't beatem, join em Paul. Killin for a livin! Might as well make gas money while were out there!

Old 06-22-2017, 08:14 AM   #16
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Dead 40-60+# fish coming over the rails at the Block everyday by rod and reel or speargun can't be a good thing.
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:51 AM   #17
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
WTF
Wtf? It is pretty obvious. If all the fish are dead there won't be a fishing site anymore. And the fishing ain't what it was because a large percentage of the fishers got ego problems and need to impress their buddies with pics of their kill. Alot of them are probably the same guys who hang those rubber neuticles from their trucks.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:35 PM   #18
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
..... If all the fish are dead there won't be a fishing site anymore. ........

- .........You're greatly mistaken, this USED to be a fishing site, not no more.

We've since moved on to huggin' trees, erecting Piper sanctuaries, adopt-a-seal-athon, and getting everyone politically correct.

If you be looking for a fishing website, This is where you should be.

Oh, almost forgot.....even if the fish do run out....you can still come here to learn how to build some kick-Azzz fishing lures (that you can put in a display case and never fish!!!

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #19
zimmy

Sounds like Facebook be what you are looking for.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:53 PM   #20
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
- .........You're greatly mistaken, this USED to be a fishing site, not no more.

We've since moved on to huggin' trees, erecting Piper sanctuaries, adopt-a-seal-athon, and getting everyone politically correct.

If you be looking for a fishing website, This is where you should be.

Oh, almost forgot.....even if the fish do run out....you can still come here to learn how to build some kick-Azzz fishing lures (that you can put in a display case and never fish!!!
🔨🔨🔨
Great post, love democrats who impart their beliefs on you regarding legal activities and think you should care. Take what you are entitled to and there will be no problems.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #21
zimmy

You guys are confused. The thread was started about poor fishing. People made comments about the state of fishing. All fishing related posts on a fishing website. You just get your panties in a bunch cause you don't like the thread and it doesn't meet what you think fishing discussions should be about. Looks like nebe hurt some feelings.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #22
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Dead 40-60+# fish coming over the rails at the Block everyday by rod and reel or speargun can't be a good thing.
Don't worry about it. There'll be a moratorium in a couple of years, the stocks will come back and everything will be OK.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #23
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Quote:
You guys are confused. The thread was started about poor fishing. People made comments about the state of fishing. All fishing related posts on a fishing website. You just get your panties in a bunch cause you don't like the thread and it doesn't meet what you think fishing discussions should be about. Looks like nebe hurt some feelings.
Zimmy....Let's get one thing straight, ...I wear a thong, so my panties...as you called them, could never bunch up. I'm not sure if Dangles wears the French or High Cut, but I'll let him answer for himself..

Look.......can't you see the dental floss?? No? Get a little closer to the screen...it's there, I promise,,,. Clammer picked out the color for me...

Secondly, no hurt feelings at all....I actually find it comical how people who fish (with hooks, snaggers, trebbles, etc) are so concerned about hurting or possibly killing a fish. I think people who feel so strongly about killing a fish, should straighten the hooks on their lures. I say straighten so that the weight of the lure doesn't change, affecting the action. They'll still experience the "hit"...and maybe, just maybe...the fish will hold on long enough to feel a little battle. Then they can go home happy KNOWING they caused no injury to the fish...cept for maybe breaking a bluefish tooth,

Like I said, this site went from all avenues of catching striped-bass...the "how", "when", (the "where" was and should always be dicey)............to "Oh my, someone kept a fish or two? They KILLED a fish??...didn't they just KILL a fish last month?" Get over yourselves already!!!

Look, I'm totally against being irresponsible when it comes to fishing...I release my fish carefully, I don't cull, I'll quickly cut the line if I feel the hook removal is going to delay or affect the health of the fish. I crush my barbs for easier removals...I do what I can, not that I need to explain myself to anyone...just sharing that I'm not a complete Ahole, well maybe I am?? I dunno.
However, I ALSO PLAN ON KILLING SOME FISH.....YES, I PLAN ON IT.
I sure as heck ain't gonna eat em alive....I don't even like sushi...so the fish has to die....and guess what? I'm ok with that.

Can this site sustain both types of people?
I dunno....what I do know is this, the more this site navigates away from the basics of fishing, which yes, involves possibly killing fish....the sooner you guys who don't kill fish or catch fish, whatever.....will have what you want.
Sidenote: if the guys that actually catch fish stop coming to this site, how are the guys who can't catch fish gonna learn anything???

Peace brother...no mal-intent meant by anything above.
Sharing is caring....

Old 06-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #24
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Getting back on topic, I can't say I've had the same experience as Toby....nor the surf-fishermen that had poor luck the weekend of the Surf-Club Challenge.

I'm not fishing nearly close to what I used to fish prior to having child....but I've actually had the opposite result this spring....It's June 23rd and I've caught more fish over 20#s than fish under 28"????
Just lucky to be at the right places at the right times.....what a lot of self-called experts tend to forget...is that "fish have fins".
Yeah, maybe a lot of guys are posting about how bad fishing has been for them.......and maybe, just maybe....the guys who are having much success, are not posting about it........at all. Ever think about that?

Old 06-23-2017, 02:41 PM   #25
Thumper

[QUOTE=bloocrab;1124032]Getting back on topic, I can't say I've had the same experience as Toby....nor the surf-fishermen that had poor luck the weekend of the Surf-Club Challenge.

I'm not fishing nearly close to what I used to fish prior to having child....but I've actually had the opposite result this spring....It's June 23rd and I've caught more fish over 20#s than fish under 28"????
Just lucky to be at the right places at the right times.....what a lot of self-called experts tend to forget...is that "fish have fins".
Yeah, maybe a lot of guys are posting about how bad fishing has been for them.......and maybe, just maybe....the guys who are having much success, are not posting about it........at all. Ever think about that?[/
QUOTE]

Bingo. It is always better to be an unknown.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:12 PM   #26
Clammer

no worries here .I,m classified as a dirty old man soooooooooo no one would pay any attention too me ><>

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:17 PM   #27
Sea Dangles

Quote:
I am just tired of dikkeds who try to tell others not to kill. It is food you know.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:47 AM   #28
bassballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I am just tired of dikkeds who try to tell others not to kill. It is food you know.
I agree. To each his own. Release a bunch, kill a bunch, just stay within the regs. If your worried about hurting fish, and the survival rate of a hard fought fish, maybe the sport of driving a set of table hooks though a fish's face isn't for you.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:15 AM   #29
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I thought "neuticle" was a scientific term for marriage?
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:20 PM   #30
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
I thought "neuticle" was a scientific term for marriage?
That and what Sea dangles from his truck it is food is pretty funny though. It is what a physicist calls a simplification, but it is a good one.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.