Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-10-2017, 04:41 PM   #31
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
It's called capt of the ship Trump owns what his people may have or may not have done to include Flynn. And asking comey to hope he could leave it alone .. no sure how Trump supports can't understand his meaning.. but yet again they love telling us what he ment to say.. even though we all understand the suggestion
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
He meant what he said . He hoped !
What did Lynch mean when she directed Comey to call Hillary's investigation a "matter" ??
Old 06-11-2017, 05:48 AM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
It's called capt of the ship Trump owns what his people may have or may not have done to include Flynn. And asking comey to hope he could leave it alone .. no sure how Trump supports can't understand his meaning.. but yet again they love telling us what he ment to say.. even though we all understand the suggestion
"Trump owns what his people may have or may not have done "

Oh, I see. So when Comey also said that Obama's Attorney General, Loretta Lynch, pressured him to downplay the Hilary email investigation...then using your logic, Obama "owns" that, correct? Or are bad things only "owned" by Republicans who do them?

Trump is a liar, a sexist, an unbelievable egomaniac, and a bully. We know these things, we know them for a fact.

But how do you criticize Trump for pressuring the FBI director, unless you can similarly criticize Obama?
Old 06-11-2017, 06:44 AM   #33
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"Trump owns what his people may have or may not have done "

Oh, I see. So when Comey also said that Obama's Attorney General, Loretta Lynch, pressured him to downplay the Hilary email investigation...then using your logic, Obama "owns" that, correct? Or are bad things only "owned" by Republicans who do them?

Trump is a liar, a sexist, an unbelievable egomaniac, and a bully. We know these things, we know them for a fact.

But how do you criticize Trump for pressuring the FBI director, unless you can similarly criticize Obama?
Obama never asked to end an investigation but why should the actual events matter. he is not potus and now you guys are playing but but but Obama. And carrying Trumps talking points . And the worst part you agree he is all those things listed .. and still carry his water . I am confused when will we give up this isn't about hilliarys loss but Trumps actions
Old 06-11-2017, 07:21 AM   #34
buckman

Quote:
Obama never asked to end an investigation but why should the actual events matter. he is not potus and now you guys are playing but but but Obama. And carrying Trumps talking points . And the worst part you agree he is all those things listed .. and still carry his water . I am confused when will we give up this isn't about hilliarys loss but Trumps actions
Trump didn't ask either . Why are you repeating talking points instead of stating fact ? Most of what people assume is fact about what Trump is , what he said or what he has done is not based on fact, but on media assumptions , what ifs and made up lies .
Show me where he said to drop an investigation .
Old 06-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #35
boot man

Are there tapes?
Old 06-11-2017, 09:54 AM   #36
detbuch

Quote:
are bad things only "owned" by Republicans who do them?

Trump is a liar,

Trump is now officially a politician. Lying in some form or other is primary political methodology.

a sexist,

He has placed women in key, very important positions in his administration. He has done so in his private business as well. He seems to adore and respect his wife and daughter. If divorce or unmarried sex is sexism, then most Americans are sexist.

an unbelievable egomaniac,

It is neither unbelievable, nor totally egomaniacal. He shows appreciation for work well done, and for things done for him personally, politically, and financially. And besides, he is now officially a politician. Big egos, as well as clever lying, are prerequisites for political office. For most, those are bad only when politicians on the other side are like that. For our guys, it's a good thing. You may be more of a political purist than you have expressed in the past. You are, though, backing his politics in spite of your personal dislike of him

and a bully.

Ditto the being a politician thing. His "bullying" is not as subtle as most, probably because he has so much and so many to fight against. And because his agenda is so radically opposed to what establishment politicians do who want to keep their power. He doesn't seem to care how "unpresidential" or politically incorrect he is. It doesn't seem that holding onto power above all else is what he is about.

His bullying may be more of a contentiousness against so much establishment opposition--including most of the media, the Democrat party, a big chunk of his own party, Holywood, entertainment shows, and his having been successfully demonized.

We know these things, we know them for a fact.
Maybe for a bit of fact, but more so as the very negative and overstated characterization of him successfully established by his opponents.

Last edited by detbuch; 06-11-2017 at 10:15 AM..
Old 06-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #37
scottw

"The study found that US Presidents exhibit elevated levels of grandiose narcissism compared with the general population, and that presidents' grandiose narcissism has been rising over time.

The relentless increases in extraversion and narcissism in US Presidents through history, which this study found, could stem, the authors speculate, from the heightened demands on political figures to be publicly charismatic and flamboyant, as media coverage gets more intense."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-does-ego-rule

Last edited by scottw; 06-11-2017 at 12:10 PM..
Old 06-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
Oh, I see now. It's OK to interfere with the FBI to get them to downplay an investigation, but not OK to ask them to back off.

"and still carry his water "

I am honest. Not the same as carrying anyone's water. All I as is that you hold democrats and republicans to the same standard, and it's apparently asking way too much.

" am confused when will we give up this isn't about hilliarys loss but Trumps actions"

I think it's fair to point out the glaring double standard. Doesn't mean I don't have complete disdain for the guy.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:07 PM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Maybe for a bit of fact, but more so as the very negative and overstated characterization of him successfully established by his opponents.
Agreed 100%. He isn't nearly as evil as he is portrayed to be. But I don't think he is a good guy. Bush 43 is a really good and decent person. Trump isn't the personification of evil, but not a good guy IMHO.

He bragged about the size of his hands, at a presidential debate. I still have a hard time digesting that.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:07 PM   #40
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Trump didn't ask either . Why are you repeating talking points instead of stating fact ? Most of what people assume is fact about what Trump is , what he said or what he has done is not based on fact, but on media assumptions , what ifs and made up lies .
Show me where he said to drop an investigation .
I hope you can let this go Or is that to cryptic for you... I hope you'll come home with me said the Jon to the prostitute , let me guess you think he was asking her on a date
Old 06-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #41
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Trump might have not directly told Comey to drop the investigation, but when someone in that high a position of power says "I hope", it's implied that it's what I want to happen. Power corrupts absolutely and Trump is used to getting what he wants and this new reality isn't probably good for his getting a restful 8 hours of sleep.

His biggest problem IMHO is that he has surrounded himself with people that don't know the ropes and what flies in the private sector isn't going to work in the white house. It would have been interesting to rewind the tape and see where we might be had he done just that. Yes I know he doesn't trust anyone but his inner circle of close friends and family; but they don't know crap about the workings of Washington DC.

Bitches about talks Clinton had on the tarmac and yet he can ask everyone to leave the room except the director of the FBI and that isn't worse to the nth degree? So ironic to watch all this unfold.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:19 PM   #42
detbuch

Quote:
Agreed 100%. He isn't nearly as evil as he is portrayed to be. But I don't think he is a good guy. Bush 43 is a really good and decent person. Trump isn't the personification of evil, but not a good guy IMHO.

Sometimes "good guys" make lousy Presidents, and sometimes not-so-good guys are effective Presidents.

He bragged about the size of his hands, at a presidential debate. I still have a hard time digesting that.
The size of his hands thing was not braggadocio as much as a retort to a report that his hands were small (implying, idiotically, that his manhood member was therefor also small). It was Trump-like to respond to such idiocy, not Presidential, but he doesn't let anything go. Bush let too much go unanswered. Maybe you can suggest what the perfect balance is.

At any rate, Trump's showing the size of his hands was to disprove the idiotic allegation, not bragging. And, it was proven that the photo accompanying the idiotic article about the size of Trump's hands was photo-shopped--totally fabricated, as is the case in many accusations against Trump.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #43
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Trump might have not directly told Comey to drop the investigation, but when someone in that high a position of power says "I hope", it's implied that it's what I want to happen. Power corrupts absolutely and Trump is used to getting what he wants and this new reality isn't probably good for his getting a restful 8 hours of sleep.

Just a minor thing--power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. In either case, mostly the former, that's why most politicians are corrupt. Trump is probably less corrupt than many of the politicians that have graced our political offices. I am speaking about politics here. His personal life outside of politics doesn't interest me.

His biggest problem IMHO is that he has surrounded himself with people that don't know the ropes and what flies in the private sector isn't going to work in the white house. It would have been interesting to rewind the tape and see where we might be had he done just that. Yes I know he doesn't trust anyone but his inner circle of close friends and family; but they don't know crap about the workings of Washington DC.

You have just described the bane of American politics--"what flies in the private sector isn't going to work in the white house." It should work. But, from the very foundation of our political system (the destruction of the Constitution) to every office, cabinet, and agency of every level of government, corruption of some sort is more influential than the prescribed rules of operation and conduct.

Government can prosecute private malfeasance. But it is not as adept at prosecuting it's own. Unless, of course, it attempts to bring down the opposition party, even if the charges are bogus which would be further demonstration of how corrupted our governmental process has become.

Calvin Coolidge was that peculiar exception of very modest to no corruption who ran the White House like a business, to the chagrin of many. And he was very successful in actually reducing the national debt and lifting us into an age of economic prosperity.

Continuing the "workings of Washington D.C." will continue the same crap that has led us into unsustainable debt and the degradation of the document that guarantees our individual freedoms.

Bitches about talks Clinton had on the tarmac and yet he can ask everyone to leave the room except the director of the FBI and that isn't worse to the nth degree? So ironic to watch all this unfold.
The difference is that Bill Clinton did not have the legal authority to ask or demand anything from the attorney general. Donald Trump, as President, does have constitutional authority to do so. Consider this article:

http://2164th.blogspot.com/2017/06/a...-sane-and.html

Last edited by detbuch; 06-11-2017 at 08:45 PM..
Old 06-12-2017, 04:34 AM   #44
scottw

and Bill Clinton, we were told, could be a complete dirt bag/reprobate in his personal/private life(and occasionally in the oval office)...yet simultaneously be a fabulous president...the two were in no way related...Obama could have all kinds of dubious acquaintances and predilections which.... actually made him more qualified for the office as they showed his "open mindedness". Kerry and Gore had HRC had flaws that we were told were either irrelevant or in some perverted way qualifiers for the office they sought

I've not enjoyed the mainstream news, NPR and on as much as I do currently....non-stop mindless cackling by self-important preeners who are offended by the fact that no one seems to be listening to them.....when you speak day in and day out using the same catch phrases filled with indignation bordering on lunacy complaining about things you've overlooked or condoned and defended not so many years ago, you tend to undermine you own credibility regardless of the seriousness of your message....

for Trumps supporters, every "attack" hardens their resolution...for the folks that find themselves on the same side of the aisle grudgingly affiliated it's just more shoulder shrugging...."Trump might be bad but you people are insane"

it's early...the fun is only beginning

“The press is focusing on personality, not substance,” he(Patterson) said recently on public radio’s “On the Media” program. And that reflects “not a partisan bias but a journalistic bias,” the tendency to seek out conflict."

"Thus, home pages of news organizations or hour upon hour of cable news are relentlessly focused on the president — not always because of solid newsworthiness."

We’ve(journalists) got plenty of things to improve on. Giving Trump gratuitous strokes is not one of them."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.f7760f18a98b

I don't believe Trump has ever asked for a "gratuitous stroke"..though Bill Clinton no doubt regularly requested them... and Obama was tongue bathed in them like no other president in our history....

Last edited by scottw; 06-12-2017 at 06:07 AM..
Old 06-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #45
Jim in CT

Quote:
The size of his hands thing was not braggadocio as much as a retort to a report that his hands were small (implying, idiotically, that his manhood member was therefor also small). It was Trump-like to respond to such idiocy, not Presidential, but he doesn't let anything go. Bush let too much go unanswered. Maybe you can suggest what the perfect balance is.

At any rate, Trump's showing the size of his hands was to disprove the idiotic allegation, not bragging. And, it was proven that the photo accompanying the idiotic article about the size of Trump's hands was photo-shopped--totally fabricated, as is the case in many accusations against Trump.
"Maybe you can suggest what the perfect balance is."

What Trey Gowdy would say, is the right answer. Not what Milo what's-his-face would say. I don't even know what words to use to describe Trump anymore. But if they re-did the election tomorrow, and he was the GOP nominee, I'd vote for him in a second.

"it was proven that the photo accompanying the idiotic article about "

Was the video feed fake too? Because his words there...I dunno.

"totally fabricated, as is the case in many accusations against Trump"

The media has gone completely off the deep end.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #46
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
and Bill Clinton, we were told, could be a complete dirt bag/reprobate in his personal/private life(and occasionally in the oval office)...yet simultaneously be a fabulous president...:
That sentence right there, is a perfect, exact description of where we are. The hypocrisy and double standard is insane. The party that ran the Clintons, the Kennedys, John Edwards (cheating on his dying wife), is all of a sudden concerned with the personal moral compass of the President. Depends on whose ox is getting gored I guess.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:38 PM   #47
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by boot man View Post
It's true. He could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and his followers would still love him.

Or fire a special prosecuter that is investigating you.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #48
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Since there is no crime to "investigate," firing Mueller would be a nothing-burger. But it would be great political theater. The entertainment should last for months. Hope he does it.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:33 AM   #49
buckman

Quote:
Since there is no crime to "investigate," firing Mueller would be a nothing-burger. But it would be great political theater. The entertainment should last for months. Hope he does it.
I agree . Meanwhile he continues plugging along with his agenda .
Old 06-13-2017, 06:51 AM   #50
PaulS

I thought that Flynn likely broke the law by failing to register as a agent of a foreign country as he didn't disclose the payments he received.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:16 AM   #51
scottw

Quote:
I thought that Flynn likely broke the law by failing to register as a agent of a foreign country
???

probably depends on what the meaning of "likely" is
Old 06-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #52
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
and Bill Clinton, we were told, could be a complete dirt bag/reprobate in his personal/private life(and occasionally in the oval office)...yet simultaneously be a fabulous president...the two were in no way related...Obama could have all kinds of dubious acquaintances and predilections which.... actually made him more qualified for the office as they showed his "open mindedness". Kerry and Gore had HRC had flaws that we were told were either irrelevant or in some perverted way qualifiers for the office they sought

I've not enjoyed the mainstream news, NPR and on as much as I do currently....non-stop mindless cackling by self-important preeners who are offended by the fact that no one seems to be listening to them.....when you speak day in and day out using the same catch phrases filled with indignation bordering on lunacy complaining about things you've overlooked or condoned and defended not so many years ago, you tend to undermine you own credibility regardless of the seriousness of your message....

for Trumps supporters, every "attack" hardens their resolution...for the folks that find themselves on the same side of the aisle grudgingly affiliated it's just more shoulder shrugging...."Trump might be bad but you people are insane"

it's early...the fun is only beginning

I don't believe Trump has ever asked for a "gratuitous stroke"..though Bill Clinton no doubt regularly requested them... and Obama was tongue bathed in them like no other president in our history....
I liked some of the Schaedenfreude but I can't take 4 years of it (there won't be 8, Trump does not have the stamina).

Quote:
Quote:
We don't know there is no crime. We have reason to believe DJT is not the focus of the investigation - at least until he stepped on his crank.

Quote:
I thought that Flynn likely broke the law by failing to register as a agent of a foreign country as he didn't disclose the payments he received.
And possibly other things as well. I would hope it would be fair and fast for the sake of our county but I now expect it might be painful and long. IN the end, hard to say who will have done worse by out Country; Obama, Obama to Trump, or the mythical Obama to Hillary

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #53
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

I liked some of the Schaedenfreude but I can't take 4 years of it (there won't be 8, Trump does not have the stamina).
I view it as entertainment....politicians are reality tv stars, they don't say things because they mean them, they read from scripts for effect and to cause reaction....and I don't think the media and the left can keep up the pace either...they've become a caricature....obsessed with a caricature ......predictable daily manufactured indignation that has become comical...much to Trumps pleasure and benefit
Old 06-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #54
JohnR

Quote:
I view it as entertainment....politicians are reality tv stars, they don't say things because they mean them, they read from scripts for effect and to cause reaction....and I don't think the media and the left can keep up the pace either...they've become a caricature....obsessed with a caricature ......predictable daily manufactured indignation that has become comical...much to Trumps pleasure and benefit

The problem is that it quickly develops into an impediment to democracy. Just because the Progressives eff up Democracy when it suits them doesn't mean it should be allowable on the right. All must be held to a higher standard. Trump, like Slick Willy and the Bride of Frankenstein, has few standards.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #55
PaulS

John - I would like to say thank you to you, our dear exalted leader for spreading your blessings on us by graciously and magnanimously allowing us to serve and fulfill your agenda in having this forum.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #56
scottw

Quote:
John - I would like to say thank you to you, our dear exalted leader for spreading your blessings on us by graciously and magnanimously allowing us to serve and fulfill your agenda in having this forum.
can't decide if that's creepy or snarky
Old 06-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #57
boot man

Quote:
Creepy from the original source, snarky from scottw. Just my guess.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #58
JohnR

Quote:
Errr, OK ?

My Agenda? How does this forum get me closer to serious time with Gal Gadot?

Quote:
Snark I'm more than OK with

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-13-2017, 06:17 PM   #59
PaulS

Come on I was channeling my inner Reince.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #60
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I do not recall