Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 03-07-2018, 06:35 AM   #1
Rmarsh

Bad Behaviour

This is how jackasses settle disputes. Proof will show it was intentional! Captain of attacking vessel to be charged with felony assault. Guy hit by stack could have easily been killed.
In addition to spending some time in the slammer, and paying for all the damage in full, she should never be at the helm of a ship again imo

https://videos.files.wordpress.com/x...edited_dvd.mp4
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
beamie

Theres allot more to that story than what is seen in the video that we will probably never know.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Looks like the wild west that is the commercial salmon season.....

Not saying one is not at fault over another since the boat that got hit was threading the needle at speed.... He could have well been just as much at fault if he did not have room and swung his own hull into the other boat.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #4
Rmarsh

It's true that the video is just part of the story. There must have been something that happened to provoke it...
Charges were filed, so the authorities must believe they have enough evidence to present the case to a jury. There were plenty of eyewitnesses too...all telling a slightly different version of events no doubt
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #5
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

If I was on a jury I'd have a hard time finding the captain of the ramming vessel guilty. Indeed, I'd think the CG would pull the captain of the rammed vessel's license after seeing his first maneuver.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Did a little searching for the story on the web.
The boat that was rammed was trying to break through a blockade that the other two boats were part of to keep others away from where the pink (hatchery) salmon were. Lot of bad blood in that Prince William Sound fishery between the ramming boat's family and other comms. They are said to be bullies and the daughter who was skippering the ramming boat is said to have been following family elder's orders to keep other boats out of "their" area.... This happened just prior to the season opening gun. I can understand the one boat wanting to bust through the local mafia's blockade, but when you don't have the room, you just don't stick your nose in there. I have never witnessed such a blockade, but have certainly been bullied by larger commercial boats out on the bank that were steaming right at me and showed no intention of altering course..... And I know Freak has had more than a few run ins out there and has lost gear to them before.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:22 AM   #7
Rmarsh

Captain of ramming boat pleads guilty rather than face a jury trial. Smart move to avoid jail time.

Excerpts from the National Fisherman
"Kami Cabana, a third-generation Alaska fisherman at the helm of the Chugach Pearl, faced first-degree felony assault charges for “intentionally ramming” Jason Long on the aptly named Temptation in Prince William Sound’s Hidden Bay.
Under the terms of the deal, Cabana agreed to plead guilty to a misdemeanor of reckless endangerment, pay restitution to the injured crewman, serve 120 hours of community service and complete a Coast Guard boating course. She has reportedly fulfilled her service and taken the course. The parties also reached a deal in a civil case last year."
Old 01-24-2019, 07:17 AM   #8
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
What the big deal.
I’ve seen (experienced) the same thing off shore.
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:47 AM   #9
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Upper Narragansett Bay when the pogies are in and the Bass Comm season is open. There's a guy in a 26 Contender who will ram you if you get anywhere near the pod of pogies he's working.
I have been the recipient of his BS twice. The second time I was within an inch of un-holstering.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #10
Nebe

Woman drivers.

Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #11
clambo

Thumbs up bad behavior

Piemma, if this clown is ramming people on a regular basis why not set him up. Let them film him from a distance, charge him and take his license away. Removing an A-hole from the water seems righteous to me. Don't shoot him, would be hard to justify fear of life unless he was going 30 mph
clambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #12
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by clambo View Post
Piemma, if this clown is ramming people on a regular basis why not set him up. Let them film him from a distance, charge him and take his license away. Removing an A-hole from the water seems righteous to me. Don't shoot him, would be hard to justify fear of life unless he was going 30 mph
Good advice. Since I sold the boat I don't have the problem anymore. I have been out a couple of times with guys I know here in South Carolina. Let me tell you, if you think we're crazy in NE, you should run with some of these guys. 1. They ALL carry. 2. They WILL shoot you.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote