Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #61
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Said it many times, I don't want Trump to fail.
I don't want America to fail. Trump is hurting this country and our allies more than he's helping. If we get to the point of impeachment it's going to be hard but we'd be better off long-term.

Quote:
While I despise the man, his constant lies and miss truths and most especially his disrespectful treatment of most anyone who even hints they aren't in agreement; I keep hoping he would finally put his phone down and just thicken up the skin and do the job you were elected to do.
From what I've seen so far he's not even remotely capable or even interested of doing the job he was elected to do.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #62
PaulS

Here is the answer to the question the OP asked:

Republicans overwhelmingly approved of President Donald Trump’s handling of his press conference with Russian President Vladimir Putin despite the reactions from top GOP lawmakers and some in the conservative establishment, according to a new poll released Thursday.

Trump’s approval among Republicans has remained strong since he entered office and the Axios and Survey Monkey poll indicated there was very little the president could do wrong in the eyes of Republicans, even while Trump wavers on Russia’s interference in the 2016 election.

Seventy-nine percent of Republicans approved of Trump's performance alongside Putin, while 91 percent of Democrats and 62 percent of independents disapproved.

Overall, Trump received 58 percent disapproval and 40 percent approval, though both figures were clearly skewed by the deep partisan divide that often accompanies Trump.

Those results backed up a Reuters/Ipsos poll released Tuesday, which showed 55 percent overall disapproved of Trump’s work on Russian relations. But, the poll also reflected approval from 71 percent of Republicans.

The results echoed Trump’s recent approval ratings among the GOP. Earlier this month, Trump registered a 90 percent approval rating from Republicans, while only 8 percent of Democrats and 38 percent of independents offered approval, according to Gallup. Throughout his 18 months in office, Trump has never received less than 78 percent approval from Republicans in Gallup’s poll.

The recent findings suggest a strong shift within a Republican Party that was staunchly anti-Russia for decades. Starting with notorious Wisconsin Senator Joseph McCarthy and his firebrand style known as “McCarthyism,” the GOP has long been firmly anti-Communism and viewed Russia as the nation’s greatest enemy.

Under Trump, the Republican base appears ready to back a leader who claims to desire better relations with Russia in order to combat terrorism and other issues around the world.

The apparent Republican devotion to Trump has continued despite strong rebukes from Republican lawmakers about his press conference with Putin. The president suggested Monday he believed Putin’s denials of election meddling despite the widespread conclusion by the U.S. intelligence community.

Trump attempted to clean up his comment Tuesday when he claimed he was caught in a “double-negative” during his remarks at the press conference. The president said he intended to say “wouldn’t” instead of “would” when he spoke about whether or not Russia interfered.

The president’s cherry-picking of intelligence was exposed late Wednesday after a New York Times report revealed he had been briefed on Putin’s involvement and direction of cyberattacks against the U.S. in order to meddle two weeks prior to his inauguration in January 2017.

Trump tried to further reverse course on Twitter Thursday morning when he posted a video showing the times he has stated publicly that Russia meddled, though several of the clips show Trump saying “other countries” could also have been involved.

Trump has labeled the summit with Putin a “great success,” but his detractors have used the press conference to further accusations of collusion with Russia to win the presidency. Others have suggested that Putin has some sort of damning information on Trump and is hanging it over the president to improve Russia’s standing in the world
Old 07-19-2018, 03:24 PM   #63
Pete F.
Canceled

I say he controls Trump because he holds the notes on his properties thru his subordinates.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-19-2018, 04:05 PM   #64
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

From what I've seen so far he's not even remotely capable or even interested of doing the job he was elected to do.
which was what?..."fundamentally transform" America?....the people that elected him seem to think he's doing the job they elected him to do....not a surprise you don't like the job he's doing since he trounced your heartthrob and you reside far, far to the left of him politically ......and you are a little bitter....he will never get your approval...nor that of the hags on the View or MSNBC...pretty sure he knows that and doesn't really care

sounds like Lisa Page is contradicting a lot of Storks testimony...this could be juicy....

Last edited by scottw; 07-19-2018 at 04:22 PM..
Old 07-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #65
detbuch

Quote:
Said it many times, I don't want Trump to fail. While I despise the man, his constant lies and miss truths and most especially his disrespectful treatment of most anyone who even hints they aren't in agreement;

I admit to not paying a high degree of attention to whom Trump treats disrespectfully. From what I've seen, he gets nasty with those who say negative things about him.

I keep hoping he would finally put his phone down and just thicken up the skin and do the job you were elected to do.

What job he was elected to do is he not doing?

The usual comeback to my statement above if also getting so fing old; what about Hillary, what about Obama, what about Bill.

Comparing how Trump is treated with how HC was is a current comparison. Comparing how the media reacted to Obama's actions or inactions to how it reacts to Trump's similar actions or inactions is a current comparison. And the comparisons are telling about how the media is biased. Besides, Hillary and Obama have not gone away. They are still on the scene and making comments about Trump.

In the very long run, I think eventually we need Russia, China, NK; I personally would hope this world isn't going to keep moving on the way it is with everyone looking out for just their own interest and boarders?

Isn't that what negotiations are about? Coming to mutually beneficial decisions? Baby steps leading to the long run?

I'm pretty sure Putin isn't ready to sit down and play nice in the global sand box and neither is NK; China however is moving itself forward better then anyone probably gives them credit for.

Russia, China, Brazil, India, and South Africa have joined in an international economic union, BRICS, that will compete with the US and its allies. So, obviously, those nations do want to cooperate with others for mutual economic growth. And more nations are interested in joining that union. Negotiations with each of those countries could be baby steps toward the long run. Each of those countries would probably love to have good trade relations with the US. Only negotiations could achieve those trade relations.

Putin and Trump are so similar in their need to be seen in a certain light, the summit was like watching a mutual admiration society meeting.
Would it have been better if they appeared to be scowling at each other, hating rather than "admiring" each other?
Old 07-19-2018, 05:04 PM   #66
wdmso

http://video.foxnews.com/v/581138065...#sp=show-clips

this is what happens when you disrespect the Dear leader on Fox
Old 07-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #67
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
sounds like Lisa Page is contradicting a lot of Storks testimony...this could be juicy....
Well not really. An independent IG has already dug into all of this stuff. I wouldn't take partisan spin as sign of any controversy. Not to mention that Strzok schooled house republicans during his last appearance.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:09 PM   #68
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Well not really. An independent IG has already dug into all of this stuff. I wouldn't take partisan spin as sign of any controversy. Not to mention that Strzok schooled house republicans during his last appearance.
you are a little confused...being an arrogant, evasive douche is not "schooling" someone...

"no...no he's not...we'll stop it"....

Old 07-20-2018, 02:20 AM   #69
wdmso

Quote:
you are a little confused...being an arrogant, evasive douche is not "schooling" someone...

Only Schooling someone if a Republican is doing it .. Again GOP trying to knit a sweater with the FBI but ignore's this

Maria Butina loves guns, has ties to a top Russian banker, and has now landed in an American jail accused of conspiring against the US government
Old 07-20-2018, 05:11 AM   #70
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Only Schooling someone if a Republican is doing it .. Again GOP trying to knit a sweater with the FBI but ignore's this

Maria Butina loves guns, has ties to a top Russian banker, and has now landed in an American jail accused of conspiring against the US government
overplayed....

she's accused of not registering as a foreign agent....if she did conspire against the US somehow...then she's in the right place isn't she?...you can rest knowing that she was finally apprehended under the Trump administration...what exactly did Russia get for her efforts?

maybe they will arrest all of those Russians that poured all of that money into the Clinton's coffers to secure the Uranium One deal....talk about collusion

"As the Russians gradually assumed control of Uranium One in three separate transactions from 2009 to 2013, Canadian records show, a flow of cash made its way to the Clinton Foundation. Uranium One’s chairman used his family foundation to make four donations totaling $2.35 million. Those contributions were not publicly disclosed by the Clintons, despite an agreement Mrs. Clinton had struck with the Obama White House to publicly identify all donors. Other people with ties to the company made donations as well."

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/u...m-company.html

I wonder how much money the Clinton's have collected from the Russians and Chinese over the years?

only need listed to Strzok's own words Wayne..

and

"there’s no big there there.”

http://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/397...every-american
Old 07-20-2018, 06:01 AM   #71
Pete F.
Canceled

A perfect example of whataboutism
Quote:
overplayed....

she's accused of not registering as a foreign agent....if she did conspire against the US somehow...then she's in the right place isn't she?...you can rest knowing that she was finally apprehended under the Trump administration...what exactly did Russia get for her efforts?

maybe they will arrest all of those Russians that poured all of that money into the Clinton's coffers to secure the Uranium One deal....talk about collusion

"As the Russians gradually assumed control of Uranium One in three separate transactions from 2009 to 2013, Canadian records show, a flow of cash made its way to the Clinton Foundation. Uranium One’s chairman used his family foundation to make four donations totaling $2.35 million. Those contributions were not publicly disclosed by the Clintons, despite an agreement Mrs. Clinton had struck with the Obama White House to publicly identify all donors. Other people with ties to the company made donations as well."

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/u...m-company.html

I wonder how much money the Clinton's have collected from the Russians and Chinese over the years?

only need listed to Strzok's own words Wayne..

and

"there’s no big there there.”

http://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/397...every-american
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-20-2018, 06:07 AM   #72
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
A perfect example of whataboutism

whatever...hey Pete....if Trump had lost....Bill and Hillary would be in the White House...all of those hacks at the FBI like Stokyk would still be going about their business...Obama's politicization and weaponization of various governmental agencies would continue...if nothing else...trump is a speed bump..for the clintons, a tree in the road....a disruption in the imbalance and politicization of our government...if they can prove he's complicit in collusion or anything else I hope he's removed, I don't like him....but the democrats constant insane screeching is far worse than trumps antics....at some point they will figure out that much of what trump does is to illicit their crazy reactions...or maybe they won't........

let me know when they indict and American for collusion.....

Last edited by scottw; 07-20-2018 at 06:29 AM..
Old 07-20-2018, 07:35 AM   #73
PaulS

so the gov. is not letting her out on bail bc they only think she didn't register as a foreign agent?
Old 07-20-2018, 07:44 AM   #74
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
so the gov. is not letting her out on bail bc they only think she didn't register as a foreign agent?
Nothing to see here

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...utors-say.html

https://www.thedailybeast.com/accuse...fraud-lawsuits

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-20-2018, 07:50 AM   #75
scottw

Quote:
probably so she doesn't leave the country like they did during the Clinton years...

"A total of 120 participants in the fundraising scandal either fled the country, asserted their Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination, or otherwise avoided questioning."
Old 07-20-2018, 08:37 AM   #76
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
probably so she doesn't leave the country like they did during the Clinton years...

"A total of 120 participants in the fundraising scandal either fled the country, asserted their Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination, or otherwise avoided questioning."
But the media was criticized for not going after that story
From the same article you quoted

Many people still believe that a major cover-up of that scandal worked — in part because the media expressed skepticism and devoted only a fraction of resources they are spending on the Trump–Russia story. Network reporters expressed outright skepticism of the story, with many openly criticizing the late senator Fred Thompson, the chair of the Senate investigating committee, for wasting time and money. On June 17, 1997, Katie Couric, then the Today co-anchor, asked the Washington Post’s Bob Woodward about the story: “Are members of the media, do you think, Bob, too scandal-obsessed, looking for something at every corner?”

According to an analysis by the Media Research Center, the news coverage of the congressional hearings on the China scandal in the summer of 1997 were dwarfed by reports on the murder of fashion designer Gianni Versace and the death of Princess Diana.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #77
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
it's brilliant strategy that you are not smart enough to understand...don't worry...he's got this...
It is not brilliant strategy - it makes no sense. Why is Trump so malleable around VVP?

Quote:
China however is moving itself forward better then anyone probably gives them credit for.
No, China is not moving itself forward and better. It is going to crush millions it its rise

Quote:
Putin and Trump are so similar in their need to be seen in a certain light, the summit was like watching a mutual admiration society meeting.
No, not similar at all. Putin is leagues ahead of Trump, Obama, Clinton, Bush (at least junior) but more like a combination Bond villain - the image he tries to cultivate, and a smarter Tony Soprano that also owns his FBI

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #78
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

It is not brilliant strategy - it makes no sense. Why is Trump so malleable around VVP?

that was sarcastic....Spence was always quick to defend Obama's questionable moves, particularly in regard to Russia and Syria as "playing brilliantly" or something...as though no one else was smart enough to understand the hidden brilliance of his decisions

Last edited by scottw; 07-20-2018 at 09:21 AM..
Old 07-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #79
PaulS

So it had nothing to do with her trying to set up meetings w/Trump and Putin and funnel money to the NRA in support of Trump? or her being seen with many infuential Repub. politicians

Interesting that the house intell. committee refused Dem. requests to interview Butina and Erickson (as an overweight old Repub. he should have know an attractive Russian was just using him).

Goes far beyond "not registering as a foreign agent"
Old 07-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #80
scottw

Quote:
But the media was criticized for not going after that story
From the same article you quoted

Many people still believe that a major cover-up of that scandal worked — in part because the media expressed skepticism and devoted only a fraction of resources they are spending on the Trump–Russia story. Network reporters expressed outright skepticism of the story, with many openly criticizing the late senator Fred Thompson, the chair of the Senate investigating committee, for wasting time and money. On June 17, 1997, Katie Couric, then the Today co-anchor, asked the Washington Post’s Bob Woodward about the story: “Are members of the media, do you think, Bob, too scandal-obsessed, looking for something at every corner?”

According to an analysis by the Media Research Center, the news coverage of the congressional hearings on the China scandal in the summer of 1997 were dwarfed by reports on the murder of fashion designer Gianni Versace and the death of Princess Diana.
point?

yes, I am aware that the media and democrats were more interested in Versace and Di than chinese communists infiltrating and influencing the White House
Old 07-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #81
scottw

Quote:
So it had nothing to do with her trying to set up meetings w/Trump and Putin and funnel money to the NRA in support of Trump? or her being seen with many infuential Repub. politicians

Interesting that the house intell. committee refused Dem. requests to interview Butina and Erickson (as an overweight old Repub. he should have know an attractive Russian was just using him).

was she charged with using overweight old republicans?
Old 07-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #82
scottw

Quote:

Paul...I'm reading what she's charged with and accused of and while I think she should answer for whatever she's done...I don't see some big national security threat...Spence would say "she has an impressive resume"(sarcasm)...it does however, give the media and the left the opportunity to scream "RUSSIAN SPY"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...wer/799333002/
Old 07-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #83
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
point?

yes, I am aware that the media and democrats were more interested in Versace and Di than chinese communists infiltrating and influencing the White House
The point is that you did another whatabout, but didn't tell the rest of the story. That if something happened the media did not bring their A game to that show. Now the complaint is that they are looking at the current Russia issues.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #84
PaulS

That article also says:

Also in the photo: Alexander Torshin, who is not named in court filings but is the "Russian official" who gave Butina orders as part of the conspiracy, according to The New York Times

Also - "prosecutors who argued that Butina represented an “extreme” risk of flight from the country."

They can add charges at any time so wanted to keep her here bf she left the country.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #85
scottw

Quote:
The point is that you did another whatabout, but didn't tell the rest of the story. That if something happened the media did not bring their A game to that show. Now the complaint is that they are looking at the current Russia issues.
huh?
Old 07-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #86
scottw

Quote:
That article also says:

Also in the photo: Alexander Torshin, who is not named in court filings but is the "Russian official" who gave Butina orders as part of the conspiracy, according to The New York Times

Also - "prosecutors who argued that Butina represented an “extreme” risk of flight from the country." so I was right "probably so she doesn't leave the country"

They can add charges at any time so wanted to keep her here bf she left the country.
ok....
Old 07-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #87
PaulS

the point is that the gov. has other concerns besides "she's accused of not registering as a foreign agent" as you said. That may be the tip of the iceburg.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #88
scottw

Quote:
the point is that the gov. has other concerns besides "she's accused of not registering as a foreign agent" as you said. That may be the tip of the iceburg.
"may be"

sounds more like a mail order bride gone wrong

great headline..Accused Russian spy allegedly offered sex for power

Last edited by scottw; 07-20-2018 at 10:49 AM..
Old 07-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #89
PaulS

ok
Old 07-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #90
spence

Quote:
They outed her with a lesser charge so the NSA can intercept the frenzy of communication that will follow.