Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-28-2018, 11:08 PM   #1
Jim in CT

cop, legal immigrant, murdered by illegal immigrant in xmas day

CA cop who is a legal immigrant from Fiji, murdered by illegal alien on xmas day.

the killer, an illegal immigrant, had two dui convictions after he came here. But in CA, a progressive sanctuary state, local law enforcement is prohibited from telling ICE about his arrests, because god forbid he be deported.

So instead of being home with his family, this cop leaves behind a widow and a 5
month old baby. hooray!!!

can one of the liberals here explain to me, why we are better off not deporting people who come here illegally, and who then continue to break our laws after they get here? who does that help, exactly?

i agree with liberals in some big social issues. on this issue, i don’t get it, i just don’t. they’re on another planet.

how many lives are we willing to sacrifice, on the altar of politically correct bullsh*t??

i’m not saying all illegal
immigrants are bad ( I’d
come here illegally if i had to, in order to feed
my family). i’m talking about illegal immigrants who then commit additional crimes once they are here. why do we tell
local law enforcement to not cooperate with the feds, specifically to protect these people? why?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 12-28-2018 at 11:14 PM..
Old 12-29-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Why?
Ask the ones who support sanctuary cities, people like the vacationing Pelosi and like Schumer etc.

Really sad 😞 about this latest news, much like the criminal who was released in NJ to go on a murder spree in Missouri killing 3 people.
Ya have to wonder when will this nonsense stop. Will it take maybe one of the privileged to be a victim of this type thing? I understand we have criminals in this country already but we don’t need to allow more to come here illegally and cause more harm.
People need to wake up to the fact we cannot rely on out government to keep us safe, we have to be able to do it ourselves and be vigilant and always aware of our surroundings. An actual rule of law would be nice.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-29-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
Jim in CT

i find Paul S o be one of the more thoughtful
left leaning folks here, i’m genuinely interested in his take. not on the wall, but on the sanctuary policy of refusing to alert ICE when illegals commit additional
crimes after they are here.

i believe even sanctuary cities will
alert ICE if an illegal commits a violent felony. but the two DUIs plus other warrants (?) are harmless enough that in CA, state law prohibits local
law enforcement from alerting ICE to deport. that policy appears to have contributed mightily to this outcome.

i don’t see the upside to it. i mean cars kill more people than illegals, but i don’t want cars outlawed, because cars add value to our lives. i don’t see the value in telling all
the illegals thatvcwrtain places will allow them
to commit additional crimes without alerting ICE. obviously illegals who are criminals will choose to settle in these places, exposing the law abiding citizens to more crime.

what’s the upside?
Old 12-29-2018, 03:17 PM   #4
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

If your breaking the law and aren’t here legally I have no problem helping drive his arse to the border.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:22 PM   #5
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
If your breaking the law and aren’t here legally I have no problem helping drive his arse to the border.
X2
Old 12-29-2018, 05:54 PM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
X2
X3

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-29-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
spence

Sad case but it doesn’t look like local PD knew he had violent gang ties or they would have reported him. I know this may be hard for you to fathom but sanctuary laws have been found to make communities safer Jim. It’s why so many police chiefs favor the laws.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:53 PM   #8
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Sad case but it doesn’t look like local PD knew he had violent gang ties or they would have reported him. I know this may be hard for you to fathom but sanctuary laws have been found to make communities safer Jim. It’s why so many police chiefs favor the laws.
Ostriches prefer the safety of keeping their head in the sand too.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #9
Jim in CT

Quote:
local police knew he had two dui’s.
knew it for a fact.

show me a poll, please, that says police chiefs favor these laws, you just make crap up that serves your ideology. by what logic does it make us safer to forbid local law enforcement to let Ice know an illegal has two dui’s? i’m all ears. please elucidate. you can never admit your side is on the wrong side, you just can’t. it’s fascinating.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:56 PM   #10
scottw

Quote:

I know this may be hard for you to fathom but sanctuary laws have been found to make communities safer Jim.

safer for whom?
Old 12-30-2018, 12:27 AM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

Straight from that very liberal flyover state.
Iowa police chiefs: ‘Sanctuary City’ bill would make our communities less safe

Most significant, the proposed bill would diminish the trust that keeps our cities safe in the first place. We depend on residents, including immigrants, to come to us when they see something suspicious or potentially criminal. If they hear of a looming “crackdown” that could affect their families and friends, they are less likely to come to us to report and prevent actual crimes. Our state’s growing immigrant population — about 150,000 individuals, or 5 percent of Iowa residents — will be confused and scared by this bill. We believe SF 481 would undo all the relational trust and goodwill we have built over many years.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...46233564730360
Old 12-30-2018, 12:32 AM   #12
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

Most significant, the proposed bill would diminish the trust that keeps our cities safe in the first place. We depend on residents, including immigrants, to come to us when they see something suspicious or potentially criminal. If they hear of a looming “crackdown” that could affect their families and friends, they are less likely to come to us to report and prevent actual crimes. Our state’s growing immigrant population — about 150,000 individuals, or 5 percent of Iowa residents — will be confused and scared by this bill. We believe SF 481 would undo all the relational trust and goodwill we have built over many years.

Nice story, has nothing to do with what Jim asked, but it's a nice story none the less

Old 12-30-2018, 12:32 AM   #13
spence

Iowa isn’t liberal. Hell I just left there this afternoon.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:33 AM   #14
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Nice story, has nothing to do with what Jim asked, but it's a nice story none the less
Check your glasses.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:39 AM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Check your glasses.
Check your reading comprehension

Old 12-30-2018, 12:58 AM   #16
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
You’re right it’s not a poll, if you read the article I attached it has a pretty clear explanation of what the police chiefs are concerned about.
As usual it’s not sound bite simple.
What Jim said was
“show me a poll, please, that says police chiefs favor these laws, you just make crap up that serves your ideology.”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-30-2018, 01:06 AM   #17
Pete F.
Canceled

Roughly 100 people died in the USA from gun violence each day including the day that cop was killed.
Who killed the other 99 that day and all of them on other days?
Old 12-30-2018, 07:32 AM   #18
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

How about locally, how many times do we see someone killing a pour sole while operating under the influence and it’s their 3rd, 4th or 5th offense. Repeat offenders in this country that are allowed to slip through our legal system are a bigger issue than the odd illegal.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:57 AM   #19
scottw

Quote:
How about locally, how many times do we see someone killing a pour sole while operating under the influence and it’s their 3rd, 4th or 5th offense. Repeat offenders in this country that are allowed to slip through our legal system are a bigger issue than the odd illegal.
I oppose the killing of pour soles by drunks....
Old 12-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
have you noticed that they never, ever respond to the question that’s asked?

they can’t. when my beliefs can’t stand up to the weight of such an obvious simple question, that’s the day i change my beliefs.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:46 AM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
is anyone saying we should
only prosecute illegals who get dui, but ignore citizens who get dui’s? why not punish everyone who drives drunk?

no one said that illegals are driving the dui epidemic. once again, responding to something that no one came close to saying.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:47 AM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Roughly 100 people died in the USA from gun violence each day including the day that cop was killed.
Who killed the other 99 that day and all of them on other days?
oh FFS are you serious? where is it said we can’t deal with more than
one thing at the same time?

your ideology created the environment which killed this cop.

pete, would
you really oppose a law which said that illegals
who get two dui’s here, get deported?

let me answer for you. If Hilary proposed that law, you’d be for it. because Trump supports it, you oppose it.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:

that’s one guy. one. i’ve seen what the police chief where this guy got killed, has to say about smcthaty policies, he said “this is no way to protect a community.”

Spence said large numbers of law enforcement support sanctuary policies. as usual, he provided zero evidence. he really wants it to be true. that’s not evidence that it is true.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Here is a poll, done by Harvard ( heretofore not known to be a subsidiary of Foxnews nor a wholly owned subsidiary of the Koch brothers. In this poll, 80 % of respondents said
local law enforcement should be required to tell ICE about illegals who commit crimes. Eighty percent.

Thank god those 80% have liberals to ignore our will, because they know better than we do about such things. That will be a tremendous comfort to this cops widow
and 5 month old
child, who now enjoys all the benefits of not having a dad. who needs all that toxic masculinity anyway?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8cc1ea3f00f1
Old 12-30-2018, 09:00 AM   #25
Jim in CT

Spence, let’s get to the heart of this. if there was a proposed
law which said that illegal
immigrants who get multiple dui’s will be turned over to ICE for deportation...you’d oppose such a law. Correct? Because allowing these people to stay here, makes us safer. Right?
Old 12-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #26
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
that’s one guy. one. i’ve seen what the police chief where this guy got killed, has to say about smcthaty policies, he said “this is no way to protect a community.”

Spence said large numbers of law enforcement support sanctuary policies. as usual, he provided zero evidence. he really wants it to be true. that’s not evidence that it is true.
As usual you assume and accuse
You didn’t read the article just your typical Trumplicans good, any failure to toe the party line bad.
Any opportunity to create fear by demonizing some subset (illegal immigrants, Democrats, Media, Muslims, your side) is good and the base of victims would surrender some rights and eventually all to be protected by the almighty Trump

Here’s the part you missed
The bill is meant to ensure community safety, but it would strain relationships with the communities we serve and protect.

We speak as leaders with 62 combined years of law enforcement experience. As such, we know how precious energy and resources are for our state’s police departments. Iowa’s proposed crackdown on sanctuary cities is a waste of resources, because it addresses a problem that doesn’t exist. There are no sanctuary cities in Iowa. Our state’s local law enforcement already works with federal authorities on criminal investigations. The bill requires police to alert Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) of arrests of illegal immigrants, and that system is already in place and automated. In the majority of cases, ICE doesn’t respond to local arrests.
Beyond the bill’s inefficiency, it introduces a dangerous infringement on local control of local issues. It legislates policy in an arena where no other policy is legislated, such as use of force, proper equipment, and standards of conduct. It asks local law enforcement to address an issue that is best left to federal authorities. Creating and enforcing immigration laws is the purview of our federal partners. Asking local and state law enforcement to enforce immigration laws puts a strain on already strapped police units. We simply don’t have the training or time to enforce federal immigration policy.

We want Iowa residents to trust us and cooperate with us so that all of our communities are safer. Legislation like this drives hard-working, law-abiding immigrants back into the shadows.

Instead of a shortsighted and counterproductive bill like SF 481, we encourage our federal lawmakers to continue seeking comprehensive immigration reform. We urge leaders of both political parties to create a broad, bipartisan coalition and act urgently to pass better immigration laws. Doing so will strengthen the economy, promote strong national borders, and allow immigrants to become participants in creating safety and security in all of our communities.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-30-2018, 09:41 AM   #27
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
oh FFS are you serious? where is it said we can’t deal with more than
one thing at the same time?

your ideology created the environment which killed this cop.

pete, would
you really oppose a law which said that illegals
who get two dui’s here, get deported?

let me answer for you. If Hilary proposed that law, you’d be for it. because Trump supports it, you oppose it.
I think it’s interesting that the rest of the 350,000 people killed by gun violence each year don’t faze you, but one policeman gets murdered by an immigrant and that’s an emergency.
Don’t assume you can answer for me, fool

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-30-2018, 10:03 AM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
I think it’s interesting that the rest of the 350,000 people killed by gun violence each year don’t faze you, but one policeman gets murdered by an immigrant and that’s an emergency.
Don’t assume you can answer for me, fool
on what possible
basis would
you assume
i’m unfazed by the other victims
of gun violence? if i don’t mention them in every post on every topic, that means i am unfazed?

i read every word
if your article. it said that law abiding immigrants would
go
into the shadows if we
deported criminals. tough cookies.
that was
one police chief. spence said “so
many” support
the
sanctuary policies. he didn’t mention any. how come?

the police chiefs who wrote that piece also said that state cops aren’t trained
to enforce federal immigration law. we’re talking about having iowa cops call the feds, and tell them
they have an illegal who committed a crime. if iowa cops cannot be trained to do this, then i submit that they need to raise the IQ requirements to be a cop on Iowa.

that chief
if police
could
also be a fanatical liberal, which is why you don’t hang your
hat on what one guy says. i shared a poll that said that 80% oppose
sanctuary policies. it was a harvard poll, not a fox news poll. 80% isn’t very ambiguous.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #29
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
is anyone saying we should
only prosecute illegals who get dui, but ignore citizens who get dui’s? why not punish everyone who drives drunk?

no one said that illegals are driving the dui epidemic. once again, responding to something that no one came close to saying.
Point I was making was, DUI is a national issue, not an illegal immigration issue. Yesterday coming off cape from playing golf in Hyannis a guy maybe in his 50's almost side swipes me as he passed me and after watching him almost go off the road three times, I called 911 and bourne police then patched me through to the state police. This guy was hammered and an accident just waiting to happen and I backed way off as he went up on the bridge and he came within an inch from pounding into the tall curb, which likely would have shot his small SUV right back across into oncoming traffic. Our legal system just isn't doing the job to keep these repeat offenders off our roads and most are US citizens not illegal immigrants. Again, I'm all for reporting criminals to ICE if illegal, you want to be a US citizen, then you better have respect for our laws. If not send them home.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:35 AM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Point I was making was, DUI is a national issue, not an illegal immigration issue. Yesterday coming off cape from playing golf in Hyannis a guy maybe in his 50's almost side swipes me as he passed me and after watching him almost go off the road three times, I called 911 and bourne police then patched me through to the state police. This guy was hammered and an accident just waiting to happen and I backed way off as he went up on the bridge and he came within an inch from pounding into the tall curb, which likely would have shot his small SUV right back across into oncoming traffic. Our legal system just isn't doing the job to keep these repeat offenders off our roads and most are US citizens not illegal immigrants. Again, I'm all for reporting criminals to ICE if illegal, you want to be a US citizen, then you better have respect for our laws. If not send them home.
nobody said dui is an immigration issue. there is one issue, one. is it good policy to let illegals
stay, after they continue to commit crimes here? that’s the only question.

no one is saying all
immigrants are bad, or all drunks, or all cop
killers. no one.