Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Obama's recent speech on Middle East...

Here is one line from Obama's recent speech on Middle Eastern policy...

"In Iraq, we see the promise of a multiethnic, multisectarian democracy. There, the Iraqi people have rejected the perils of political violence for a democratic process … Iraq is poised to play a key role in the region."

Is it me, or did Obama just admit that Bush's policies in Iraq are paying dividends in that region? Not that he would ever say it that way...but how can Obama decry the Iraq War when he is speaking at a political fundraiser, and the next day talk about the tangible benefits of that war? Spence?

Here is the answer...Obama is politicizing war. He's taking a war in which thousands of the best kids you have ever seen gave their lives, and Obama is contorting his view of that war to maximize his political capital. I think that's vile, putrid, and par for the course with this guy. Either the war accomplished nothing, or it accomplished something significant, but it cannot have done both.

Obama worshippers, please think for a moment about the virtues (or lack thereof) of a man who would exploit the death of thousands of vets for his political gain. If he thinks the war was a colosal waste, he should say so. If he thinks the war produced some valuable results, he should say that. His answer should not depend on the audience he is speaking in front of at the time.

I don't get this guy's appeal, I just don't. The only "change" this guy brings is the previously unfathomable depths to which he will sink to get people to vote for him.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 05-20-2011 at 09:42 AM..
Old 05-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Didn't he vote against the surge with Petraus when he was in the senate
and say he would withdraw all our Troops within a year when campainging?

" Choose Life "
Old 05-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Didn't he vote against the surge with Petraus when he was in the senate
and say he would withdraw all our Troops within a year when campainging?
He didn't vote against it, I don't htink that was put to a vote. But he insisted that it wouldn't work, and he was wrong. Another Senator, Hilary Clinton, told Gen Petreus that his expectation of what the Surge could do "requires the willful suspension of disbelief". In other words, then-Senator Clinton told Petreus he wa slying.

Obama swore the surge could not work. Clinton accused Petreus of lying about the potential benefits. Both senators could not have been more wrong, and both were promoted by the citizenry.

Awsome sig, "choose life".
Old 05-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Thanks Jim, your right about the vote, but he was against it
while in the Senate. Guess he's CHANGED his mind.

" Choose Life "
Old 05-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Is it me, or did Obama just admit that Bush's policies in Iraq are paying dividends in that region? Not that he would ever say it that way...but how can Obama decry the Iraq War when he is speaking at a political fundraiser, and the next day talk about the tangible benefits of that war? Spence?
The pretty obvious answer is that he's the President now.

If the Iraq war leads to a stable and democratic Iraq, nobody is going to argue that's a bad thing. But to simply say this would justify the entire action is a gross over simplification of a very complex equation.

Quote:
Here is the answer...Obama is politicizing war. He's taking a war in which thousands of the best kids you have ever seen gave their lives, and Obama is contorting his view of that war to maximize his political capital. I think that's vile, putrid, and par for the course with this guy. Either the war accomplished nothing, or it accomplished something significant, but it cannot have done both.
Actually, you're politicizing his speech. You're contorting his defense of our interests, for which thousands of the best kids you have ever seen gave their lives, just to make a silly point on a fishing website.

Obama can't undo the Iraq war. He must make the best with what he inherited and what the situation is today. To assert this is hypocrisy is absurd, Obama has not adopted the Bush Doctrine.

Obama has a responsibility to encourage the foreign behavior believed to be in our best interests. If this means praising pro democracy elements in Iraq at the risk of Right Wing pot shots then it sounds like he's risen above the noise and is focused on meaningful leadership to benefit his constituents.

Call me silly but I find that pretty appealing.

-spence
Old 05-22-2011, 04:10 AM   #6
Raven

encourage? very doubtful

i think he has outraged the whole middle east with the Osama raid
and the ongoing drone war....
fanning the flames

it's a huge powder KEG more now .........than it EVER was...

combine that with OSAMA's wish and there will not be peaceful resolutions
of any KIND... essentially we killed their land GOD
in the minds of the younger KIDS born into this war.

I personally still believe that Syria has Iraq's weapons of mass destruction
hidden away beneath the sands....
namely gas/bio warfare shells, missles ect..

i think the USA knows this and that the great WAR #3 will be
waged by machines that are all impervious to it.

destruction of tyranny will quell the march of democracy by
massive protests turning into more
Bloody chaos beyond our imaginations.

a thought of everyone suddenly playing NICE ain't gonna happen.
just my 6th sense... of it all.

Carry on....
Old 05-22-2011, 04:53 AM   #7
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Call me silly

-spence
I'd go with deeply delusional and wrong about pretty much everything far more accurate than silly
Old 05-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
Raven

besides

with all the utter destruction in the USA lately

fires in Texas
flooding down south
tornado's GALORE
Obama shouldn't be giving a rat's ass
about the middle east right now.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
with all the utter destruction in the USA lately

fires in Texas
flooding down south
tornado's GALORE
Obama shouldn't be giving a rat's ass
about the middle east right now.
Hmmmmm...read this 5 times and it still doesn't make any sense to me

-spence
Old 05-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
Raven

Arrow

he hasn't made any notable difference
in the USA natural disaster situation
yet he's worried about Israel's borders
and is out having fun in Ireland was what
i was driving at Spence. He's Infuriating as hell.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
spence

Quote:
Do you think the Federal Govt is not helping the states adequately deal?

If so, what specifically? While there are a lot of challenges for sure, I've not heard anyone blaming the Feds for a lack of response.

-spence
Old 05-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Here is one line from Obama's recent speech on Middle Eastern policy...

"In Iraq, we see the promise of a multiethnic, multisectarian democracy. There, the Iraqi people have rejected the perils of political violence for a democratic process … Iraq is poised to play a key role in the region."

Is it me, or did Obama just admit that Bush's policies in Iraq are paying dividends in that region? Not that he would ever say it that way...but how can Obama decry the Iraq War when he is speaking at a political fundraiser, and the next day talk about the tangible benefits of that war?
Making a statement about the current state of Iraq does not prohibit him from stating we should not have started the war in the first place. It is completely rational to say the war was a mistake and not worth the costs to our country. 10 years, 100's of billions of dollars, thousands of lives. The war was a stupid, expensive mistake for our country. However, his statement about the current state of Iraq is true. One thought does not exclude the other.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
zimmy

Quote:
He's in Ireland for what, a day? Every president for 6 decades has worried about Israel's borders. Our relationship with Israel is stated as the primary issue most Islamic radicals have with the US. Even as the most powerful man in the world, he can't stop tornadoes and floods Luckily FEMA is very adept at handling those issues.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Zimmy: Save your keystrokes. No matter what Obama does, Jim will somehow disagree.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 05-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #15
PaulS

I heard that they realized that they forgot Bo the dog when they were over Novia Scotia and turned around and went back for him.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Zimmy: Save your keystrokes. No matter what Obama does, Jim will somehow disagree.
Wrong again. For example, I like what he has done with drone attacks. And he's been fairly aggressive with deporting large numbers of illegals.

Do you ever get one right, even by accident?
Old 05-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

-spence
Spence -

"The pretty obvious answer is that he's the President now."

What does this mean? I assume you mean that you expect him to say one thing when he campaigns, but to say another thing when he's elected? You're OK with that? most people would be bothered by that kind of dishonesty, and at the very least, it's not the "change" we were promised.

"You're contorting his defense of our interests"

Spence, I posted a direct quote, I didn't contort anything. Please enlighten us, what did I contort? I'm all ears...

"Obama has not adopted the Bush Doctrine."

Really? Invading the sovereign space of Pajistan, just to kill Bin Laden? Spebce, PLEASE TELL US, how is Obama's foreign policy different from Bush's? Bush speculated that if we established democracy in Iraq, that "it will spread like pollen". Seems to me like Obama is saying the same exact thing, no? Again, you're saying Obama has not adopted the Bush doctrine, so please support that with actual differences?

"Obama has a responsibility to encourage the foreign behavior believed to be in our best interests"

Ahhh. But when Bush did tyhe same thing, did you give him credit for that?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #18
Fly Rod

It is a big turn around from Obama's speech in 2008 when he was looking for the Jewish vote as he stated back then and made it clear, "the United States shouldn't dictate Israel/ Palestinian affairs."

Today Israel's boarders are 40 miles wide, if they go back to the old boarder lines they will be only 8 miles wide.

And you still think that he is not an Islamic radical.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #19
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
And you still think that he is not an Islamic radical.