Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 02-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
FishnGrega

Question Verizon wireless customers

My contract is up and I'm due for an upgrade. I was thinking about getting either the droid, blackberry curve, G'zOne Rock, Or the Samsung Convoy. My motorola Adventure V750 is horrible. I definitely don't want to make the same mistake twice.

What do you guys have for phones? likes dislikes?
FishnGrega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #2
JohnnyD

I know a few with the Droid and they love it. If you have interest in the iPhone, the Droid is a good comparable that's provided by VZW
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
FishnGrega

I've heard nothing but good reviews on the droid. I don't know if i'm getting a little carried away with going for a phone like that or sticking to a phone that i'm used to for calling and texting.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:17 AM   #4
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishnGrega View Post
I've heard nothing but good reviews on the droid. I don't know if i'm getting a little carried away with going for a phone like that or sticking to a phone that i'm used to for calling and texting.
The drone is great but the big question is: will you utilize the extra features that come with it?

After you buy the phone, you have to also get the data package - about $30/month - and that's on top of whatever minute/text plan you have.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #5
Raven

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
The drone is great but the big question is: will you utilize the extra features that come with it?

After you buy the phone, you have to also get the data package - about $30/month - and that's on top of whatever minute/text plan you have.
~
i have never liked the idea that verizon sends you a paper bill in the mail ....sends you an email bill via the internet and then has the Audacity to ALSO send you a text message too that costs you 15 cents to receive it.... (that to me is a RIP) and it wouldn't matter if it was just a penny... it's the principle.

the price for a cellphone is still astronomical ....they make them so slippery out of the smoothest plastic .....and that is a pain...

i'd rather they were covered in rubber and were 100% water resistant. The 2 year contract i think is a JOKE when the technology changes in 6 months. Where i presently live you get dropped Allot and that is maddening .....drives me nuts.

when the friggan cell phone rings my dog comes unglued.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
~
i have never liked the idea that verizon sends you a paper bill in the mail ....sends you an email bill via the internet and then has the Audacity to ALSO send you a text message too that costs you 15 cents to receive it.... (that to me is a RIP) and it wouldn't matter if it was just a penny... it's the principle.
Raven,

You need to update your settings: I don't get a paper bill only electronic (e-mail/txt notification that it has been billed to my cc). I get text/calls from Verizon at NO charge: $ or min (no I do not have txt messaging in my plan). BTW: standard txt charges are now $0.20!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
Raven

my wife wants to end the contract all together

and buy just the pre paid cheapos and throw one in each
glove compartment for emergencies and live without them.

20 cents now? bass terds
Old 02-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
my wife wants to end the contract all together and buy just the pre paid cheapos and throw one in each glove compartment for emergencies and live without them.
For as much as my family uses their phones this sounds like something I should do too. Trouble is ending the contracts: seems like they all expire at different times and I sure ain't going to pay the $175 early termination fee. My main problem is that the car phone for OnStar is also part of the Verizon contract and don't want to end that. Once you have 1 phone on a Verizon plan, the others are only $9.99/month. Not sure what options there are for the car phone at this time?

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
Raven

Thumbs down i will be dumping it in may

been thinking how we'd function without them..........

but soon wireless signal will be everywhere

and i forgot to mention.... when ya call up verizon and
pay your bill utilizing your cell phone and all its fancy shmancy
technology...

what do they do?????

they send you another text message saying....

yo dude! you just paid your bill via cell phone

and scalp you for another 20 cents... DOH
Old 02-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
JohnnyD

Quote:
~
I had Verizon and would get the text message reminders from them. I don't think texts from Verizon to their customers are charged for.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #11
Moses

Picked up the Moto Droid in Dec and love it!

Monthly cost compared to my prior family plan (2 phones) is $5 more per month.

The added features are great and addicting. I have access 24/7. I think of it more like a smaller netbook that has phone capability. So far, I've only downloaded free apps, the camera and video are great.

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
FishnGrega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Picked up the Moto Droid in Dec and love it!

Monthly cost compared to my prior family plan (2 phones) is $5 more per month.

The added features are great and addicting. I have access 24/7. I think of it more like a smaller netbook that has phone capability. So far, I've only downloaded free apps, the camera and video are great.
the $5 is for the internet? I thought that you had to pay an additonal $30 for the internet ontop of your normal plan. I'm on the family plan with 4 phones. Now did you get the added insurance with yours?
Old 02-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
Fly Rod

On MSN home page you can probably get that phone free, yes I said FREE. about every thee weeks on MSN's homepage they come out with a 48 hour ad. promoting free phones and no set up fee.

I will keep an or two open for the next time they have it.
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #14
FishnGrega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
On MSN home page you can probably get that phone free, yes I said FREE. about every thee weeks on MSN's homepage they come out with a 48 hour ad. promoting free phones and no set up fee.

I will keep an or two open for the next time they have it.
no kidding huh! Thanks Fly Rod
Old 02-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #15
Fly Rod

I normally do not pay much attention to the side bar advertisment. My wife had paid 350 bucks for hers. I'm a cheap-po person and I always look for the cheapest deal. Since I'm out of contract with mine I started looking 3 months ago and clicked on that 48 hour deal a few times, I showed her that she could have gotten her phone free. A lot of times that 48 hour deal has Verison, T Mobil and AT&T deals at the same time. I'm still looking but my monthly bill will go to 60 bucks a month from 40 bucks without all that other crap that you usually buy.

If you see that ad they will show one perticular phone on that page. Go to that page left side and you will see "more phones" click on that and another 50 differant phones will be there from what ever company.
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #16
FishnGrega

I ended up going with the Casio Gz One Rock. So far I'm loving it, the phone was bilt for me. shock proof, waterproof, dust proof, built in flashlight, compass, tide chart, moon phase, sunrise sunset. the thing is ridiculous. The Droid and all the other smart phones cost an extra $30 a month. I'm all set with that.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #17
Raven

Question ok good deal FishnGrega

what does that one cost -n ya per month ....
if ya don't mind sayin...
Old 02-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #18
FishnGrega

well i'm still on the family plan with my parents. unlimited texts 800 minutes. Its only 20bucks per month. cheaper that way
Old 02-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #19
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
I ended up going with the Casio Gz One Rock. So far I'm loving it, the phone was bilt for me. shock proof, waterproof, dust proof, built in flashlight, compass, tide chart, moon phase, sunrise sunset. the thing is ridiculous. The Droid and all the other smart phones cost an extra $30 a month. I'm all set with that.
My phone too. cannot break it.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #20
FishnGrega

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
My phone too. cannot break it.
so far you liking it?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #21
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
I bought one like that a year ago
noproblems
my old previous phones were always bathed in sawdust
this one is a tank
extended battery is awesome,5days

I have not dunked it yet but it's a nice feature if needed
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #22
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

I just Moto Droid'd. I had to pay the $30 extra for unlimited data download. Around home I find hooking up to my wireless the most efficient for web browsing. Lots of built in features and my clumsy fingers like either the electronic or slideout key boards.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:36 AM   #23
Raven

Arrow

as often as i drop mine
i think the unbreakable model
will be our choice
Old 05-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #24
FishnGrega

Quote:
as often as i drop mine
i think the unbreakable model
will be our choice
gotta say so far the thing is amazing, I like the fact that I can take it fishing with me and not worry if it gets wet or not.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #25
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

I have verizon through work and we are waiting on the iPhone thing to happen before we make our next purchases. I think the iPhone is really nice.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote