Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 03-21-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Graves Light Tour

Mike (Fishbucket), the wives, and I had the opportunity today to actually go inside of the lighthouse with the owners. Here is some video as we were at the top and our desent:

I will post part 2 and maybe extra links later.

Last edited by PRBuzz; 03-21-2015 at 07:11 PM..

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Continued decent:

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
redlite

Yo phil i couldnt get 1st video to work. Had to go find it on yahoo tube. 2 nd one worked
Pretty cool. Kind of experiences my old man made us kids come to appreciate
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:26 AM   #4
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

An edited version showing views from top and decent back to the boat.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Wow
nice Phil
That descent to the dingy looked like the hole was very small and dangerous
not for the faint of heart
looks like Mike's back is feeling better, that's good

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:15 AM   #6
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

squeezing in & around that 12x12 beam was hardest part of climb both up&down. Plans are to cut that section out this summer as no longer a structural element since rebuilding.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

It was great. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Good place to fall to your death. I can't see them doing tours on the reg.
It was a grey dreary day, so the visibility was almost nothing. On one note you really got to appreciate the 112 year old lighthouse because there was no visibility and nothing else to see. on the other hand you missed out on the unbelievable views, because it was grey and dreary.
I will definitely go again on a clear day.

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #8
beamie

Phil, Thanks for sharing that it was pissa. Much appreciated.

They didn't think too much about that ladder and PT lumber, need to modify that before someone bites it.

On the ship they term that going aloft. And after filling out the safety paperwork BS you need to be all harnessed up with fall arresting gear.......that is what that center pipe going up to the platform is for to hook into.

I am assuming at one time there was a nice Fresnel lense on the light and was removed when automated? That looks like a little bitty ting now.

Kind of a dinky a$$ fog signal for a lighthouse.

No one rang the Bell???

Love the Diagonal windows. Couldn't tell from the goPro but were those window panes flat or were they contoured to the radius of the frame.

Bet you if you spent the night you'd hear more than a few spooky voices in there. Looks pretty Squatchy.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
Raven

the fish eye lens
is that so it's see's good
underwater?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #10
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
They didn't think too much about that ladder and PT lumber, need to modify that before someone bites it.
Work in progress, owners only had last summer since acquiring title to the light. They put a new ladder one out on the edge of the platform, a storm took fast care of that one!

Quote:
On the ship they term that going aloft. And after filling out the safety paperwork BS you need to be all harnessed up with fall arresting gear.......that is what that center pipe going up to the platform is for to hook into.
Mike wondered and Dave didn't really know what that center pipe on the stairs was for, he's going to remove it We signed our life away, too. Sure the girls would have felt much safer harnessed up!

Quote:
I am assuming at one time there was a nice Fresnel lense on the light and was removed when automated? That looks like a little bitty ting now. Kind of a dinky a$$ fog signal for a lighthouse.
Original optic: First-order Fresnel lens
Present optic: VRB-25 (right)

When it went into service, Graves Light was measured at 380,000 candlepower. The light was later upgraded to 3.2 million candlepower, and for many years it was the most powerful light in New England. The station was also equipped with a powerful Daboll fog trumpet.

Quote:
No one rang the Bell???
I did, 2 rings and sounded good!

Quote:
Love the Diagonal windows. Couldn't tell from the goPro but were those window panes flat or were they contoured to the radius of the frame.
Everything is contoured. The GoPro itself has the updated flat lens minizing curvature.

Quote:
Bet you if you spent the night you'd hear more than a few spooky voices in there. Looks pretty Squatchy.
I'd have no problem spending a night. The owners actually want to be out there during a MAJOR storm!

Last edited by PRBuzz; 03-23-2015 at 01:23 PM..

Old 03-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #11
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
the fish eye lens
is that so it's see's good
underwater?
Much of the curvature seen in pics inside the lighthouse is due to it being a CURVED structure. This GoPro is updated to have a flatfield cover and minimal curvature, although still some.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #12
beamie

I can't imagine how you'd measure for a replacement window with the radius, I think that would take a few tries.

WRT that center pipe it is not original. I am sure during somewhat recent years when being serviced by the CG that was installed for thier saftey. It is nice if you have the kind of slider to keep moving on the pipe, otherwise you have to constantly move your snap hook every couple rungs leaving only one hand for you.

So after buying the light, what responsibilities do the new owners have, it is still considered an active nav aid correct?

Hell of a thing to be the owner of that. You can land allot of monster fish off that platform.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #13
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

The CG maintains the functions of the light/horn and have access.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device