Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 02:01 AM   #31
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Muller
Obviously any one hear bitching about keeping two 60's has never caught a big fish ever. Especially when it happens you have no idea the size because the sheer shock of size can be overwhelming. SO...until you have been there it is better to be...you know zipped up.

Congrats to...whom ever!!!!
You are wrong on that. I've released two 49's on the same day 20 minutes apart (boat fish/Miacomet/jigs/october 96), and I fish with a guy who set free a 48, 54, and 56 from the beach all in the same night. Whether you believe it or not is of no significance to me.

Furthermore, the need to kill fish to "confirm" your achievement indicates that the achievement itself is insufficent, rather what you are fishing for is praise and recognition from others, not just fish or food. If you need that, and that's part of why you fish, well then so be it, though most good fisherman eventually grow out of that phase. Enough said.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:56 AM   #32
eelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull
You are wrong on that. I've released two 49's on the same day 20 minutes apart (boat fish/Miacomet/jigs/october 96), and I fish with a guy who set free a 48, 54, and 56 from the beach all in the same night. Whether you believe it or not is of no significance to me.

Furthermore, the need to kill fish to "confirm" your achievement indicates that the achievement itself is insufficent, rather what you are fishing for is praise and recognition from others, not just fish or food. If you need that, and that's part of why you fish, well then so be it, though most good fisherman eventually grow out of that phase. Enough said.
No Not enough said, the guy was within his right to keep both fish under the law.....Do you walk around telling everyone to release there legal fish? I Have news for you, this guy has caught many fish over 50...he has nothing to prove. Anyway I am happy for him, and he can do what ever he wants with his two fish...May be he has a large family!
Old 09-10-2006, 03:08 AM   #33
eelman

Here is another fish caught the same time, same area....55lbs.....There were some HUGE FISH CAUGHT YESTERDAY!
THIS COW WENT 55 POUNDS! all these fish are from RISAA members.....Congrats!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-10-2006, 03:12 AM   #34
eelman

Here is the previous guys pal....with a 53lber! man what a day! I cant wait to see those 60s..........Bunker ...its all about the bunker I am outta here to go try and catch one!!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-10-2006, 05:31 AM   #35
JHABS
Needlefish Nazi

Congrats

Over the Last Several Years HAB'S NEEDLEFISH Have Caught More "Confirmed" 30, 40, 50, and even 60 pound Striped Bass than any other Wooden Needlefish on the Market today. 2 Over 50lbs. and 1 Over 60lbs. in 2005 alone........... "HOOK UP WITH HAB'S" Your Best Bet For BIG BASS.....
Old 09-10-2006, 05:37 AM   #36
boot man

Congratulations to the angler!!! I'd keep both as well. That would give me an excuse to show up at people's houses with fish for them to eat while I tell them the story of TWO SIXTY POUND FISH IN ONE DAY!!

WOW!
Old 09-10-2006, 05:53 AM   #37
"uffah!!"

I saw a guy catch one of those COWS at the service area of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge & Tunnel. I thought he was going to kill himself on the rocks trying to get it in. That was the first real big striper I had ever seen, I guess thats when saltwater fishing started to get in my blood. I was stationed a stones throw from the bridge back in the middle 60's.

"Non temere mai Roma, il serpente rimane attorcigliato a Napoli!"
"Baci Mio Culo"
Old 09-10-2006, 06:25 AM   #38
LINESIDES

Congrats to any one taking their two fish limit! And doing what ever they want to do with them. It's America you know! Being that some here also fish before and after the selling season, we release quite a few beauties back in to the system.
If we kept all the fish we were allowed to keep legally in the past, you would have a no fish to release today.We conserved in the past so you could enjoy what we have today. If a person wants to keep there two fish of a life time, so be it. I remember being chastised when I was young. It was my first big fish. It was 38 pounds. My biggest to that time was about 12 pounds. I was told at the tackle shop, actually yelled at, that in October "I" should be letting these fish go back south. This conservation person built this dynasty they have to day on the whole sale slaughter of stripers. You see they were the biggest commercial buyers in the area. Now that they wiped out the industry and made there millions they had become conservationlest. Get over it! We keep them because we can! My partner looks at the big fish and says, boy, I sure fooled you! I pick them up by ther jaw, "KISS" them on the fore head, look them all in there black eyes and say to them, be more carefull the next time! And I let them go back into the water. Its my choice to do this, however, its done after our leagal limit!
Peace to all!, Later, L

You are only as good as the person who’s driving the boat! By the way, the Devil drives my boat!
Old 09-10-2006, 06:35 AM   #39
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I don't think most people (MOST) keep COWS to gain personal recognition. Maybe it is a sign of personal achievement to themself for alot of hard work and hard fishing. He was as #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& said within his legal right to keep those fish and I think its great for him! It is nobody elses business what he does with what is his! We are free in this country to have choices, and he chose to keep what he has earned just as many would choose to release them if they wish! I also believe they may not survive the fight so better they are kept than release to flounder and die! Worry more about those who not act within the boundary of the law than those who do! Big difference someone keeping 3 30 inch fish than 2 60 pound fish as far as I am concerned! I think fishing is no different than deer hunting....you make a decision on what you will take.....be it a doe or a 12 point buck! Are the deer hunters also looking for a trophy? I think so....if they are going to take one why not make it a memorable one at the same time?

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 09-10-2006, 06:56 AM   #40
"uffah!!"

I just hope he had a BIG COOLER!!!!!

"Non temere mai Roma, il serpente rimane attorcigliato a Napoli!"
"Baci Mio Culo"
Old 09-10-2006, 07:15 AM   #41
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Nice catch!!!

Congrats to them on those cows,
and it's their right to do what they want with them !!!

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 09-10-2006, 07:27 AM   #42
Raven

Thumbs up HMMMM

thats a very good question dave..........i'll look into that....

2x 60lb breeders = x amount eggs per year or not?

.........................that dude must have a larger freezer.....
.................................................. ........to hold 70lbs of filet's
Old 09-10-2006, 08:02 AM   #43
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
.........................that dude must have a larger freezer.....
.................................................. ........to hold 70lbs of filet's
The meat will go in the dumpster and the fish will be made into a skin mount.. thats my guess.

Remember folks, bass were almost fished to extinction in the 80's and most everyone was fishing within the legal limits..

Nice catch
Old 09-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #44
DJ Muller

Fishaholic,
Generally speaking...BIG bass do still spawn, but just every 4-5 years. So a fish that big has to be over 20 years old and it's spawning days are few and far between. Big bass can lay upto 5,000,000 eggs per spawn. Smaller bass between 10-20 pounds, generally speaking will spawn every year laying approximately 850.000 -1.2 million a year, untill they become bigger, when they will begin spawning every other year or every 4-5 years as cow's. Fish in the 30 pound class probably produce the most on a regular basis.

Big fish after big battles will sometimes croak, but if you go in the water and take time with them, they usually do survive. Some people think that the fish is dead or dying, but it is really just tired. It would be like you wrestling for ten minutes. If I just wrestle someone for ten minutes, I'd just lay there too and beg you to kill me. Being patient with a big fish will pay a nice dividen. That being seeing a big cow disappear in the the night water.

In terms of what to do??? You caught it, it is your choice. You have earned the right to decide. No answer is wrong.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:44 AM   #45
stripersnipr

We dont seem to demand that people drive 50 mph when the law says its a 65 mph zone. If theres an issue with the current regulation than the regulation should be argued but criticizing someone for complying with that regulation doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:51 AM   #46
Skitterpop

I really don`t know what I would do... Biggest I`ve ever caught was mid thirties....all from shore.

I would be wildly stoked and probably keep them just to show them.... not that that is a good reason.

If the eggs have a better biological breeding capacity from huge females than that is another factor that would cause me regret later on.

Be nice if you could confirm the weights with photos and still release them but that is an extremely unlikely scenario if not impossible.

Must have been something Nice catching

Good health and family
Old 09-10-2006, 09:24 AM   #47
Flaptail

Two sixties in a day is a feat, course, you all know my feelings on live bait and from a boat to boot. The hard part was getting the bait.

George, some people have a dire need for noteriety, thus hanging meat on a hook outside a tackle shop. It verifies for them a need to be seen and noticed, chest thumping so to say. Incessant picture taking of every bass is, well...... "Hey look at me". I know, I went through that stage, it will pass. It brings more grief than anything else. Really good fishermen keep their mouths shut and ears open and no one really knows what they are catching, where and when and how. They know and they don't talk.

You and I know what we have been doing and I know that like me, you wear a smile when you go into a shop and someone asks you how you have been doing and you say, "alright" and end it there.

Now all these big bass on a plug would be a real angling feat.

And lastly those guys wouldn't really understand what it is to release 3 50's in a night, not yet at least. I lost count of all the fish I could have registered for the Cup, you know you were with me and that's all the statisfaction I need.

Moon was pretty coming up from the east over my left shoulder last night all orange with the wind on my right cheek and the added the sound of a screaming drag and it was near perfect.

Why even try.........
Old 09-10-2006, 09:35 AM   #48
eelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaptail
Two sixties in a day is a feat, course, you all know my feelings on live bait and from a boat to boot. The hard part was getting the bait.

George, some people have a dire need for noteriety, thus hanging meat on a hook outside a tackle shop. It verifies for them a need to be seen and noticed, chest thumping so to say. Incessant picture taking of every bass is, well...... "Hey look at me". I know, I went through that stage, it will pass. It brings more grief than anything else. Really good fishermen keep their mouths shut and ears open and no one really knows what they are catching, where and when and how. They know and they don't talk.

You and I know what we have been doing and I know that like me, you wear a smile when you go into a shop and someone asks you how you have been doing and you say, "alright" and end it there.

Now all these big bass on a plug would be a real angling feat.

And lastly those guys wouldn't really understand what it is to release 3 50's in a night, not yet at least. I lost count of all the fish I could have registered for the Cup, you know you were with me and that's all the statisfaction I need.

Moon was pretty coming up from the east over my left shoulder last night all orange with the wind on my right cheek and the added the sound of a screaming drag and it was near perfect.

Flap, you are so full of it I think you need higher boots.....Maybe you should take more pics....you may be more credible with the proof... unnecessary personal attack - edited by JR .........Its easy to take a digital camara to the beach and snap a shot of all these so called cows....

60s go in the cooler...

Last edited by JohnR; 09-11-2006 at 09:09 AM..
Old 09-10-2006, 09:39 AM   #49
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
No Not enough said, the guy was within his right to keep both fish under the law.....Do you walk around telling everyone to release there legal fish? I Have news for you, this guy has caught many fish over 50...he has nothing to prove. Anyway I am happy for him, and he can do what ever he wants with his two fish...May be he has a large family!
I'm not questioning his right to keep 2 fish.

I don't tell anyone what to do about anything anymore, I've lived long enough to know it doesn't work and I'm often wrong.

How many fish someone has caught in the past is not "news" I care about.

If he has "nothing to prove", then why show them off at a tackle store?

For selfish reasons ONLY, I wish those two massive bass each had large families, instead of the fisherman.

Situations where big bass set up on bunker and get slaughtered by experienced fisherman have happened in the past and most involved seem to feel both fortunate and regretful in retrospect.

Until I see convincing evidence to the contrary, I see the slot limits and a 1 fish "trophy exemption" as the best way to manage a SPORT fishery.

I hope you get your #60. I hope even more you find what you are fishing for.

Good Luck.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:48 AM   #50
JoeP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe
Remember folks, bass were almost fished to extinction in the 80's and most everyone was fishing within the legal limits..

Nice catch
Eben:

I agree 100%. People forget that. It's not an unlimited resource. Yup, it's "legal" to keep those fish but is it responsible??

Well, whatever everyone's opinion is with regard to keeping or releasing 2 fish like that (especially the 2nd fish after one is already in the cooler), DJ Muller you sound like an ignorant idiot saying that noone who has caught a 60LB fish like those has the right to give an opinion.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:51 AM   #51
inTHERAPY

Why did he, 59.3 and 59.8, have to be fishing in the same tournies as me this weekend ( a purely rhetorical question? I know we are all fish junkies ) Evidently 53.8# doesn't go as far as it used to. Sidenote, a 50# fish or larger will not go back in the water when it hits my deck. I eat, sleep, breathe fish and work way too hard, plus I'm vain, to let it go.

rather be fishin'
Old 09-10-2006, 10:00 AM   #52
eelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull
I'm not questioning his right to keep 2 fish.

I don't tell anyone what to do about anything anymore, I've lived long enough to know it doesn't work and I'm often wrong.

How many fish someone has caught in the past is not "news" I care about.

If he has "nothing to prove", then why show them off at a tackle store?

For selfish reasons ONLY, I wish those two massive bass each had large families, instead of the fisherman.

Situations where big bass set up on bunker and get slaughtered by experienced fisherman have happened in the past and most involved seem to feel both fortunate and regretful in retrospect.

Until I see convincing evidence to the contrary, I see the slot limits and a 1 fish "trophy exemption" as the best way to manage a SPORT fishery.

I hope you get your #60. I hope even more you find what you are fishing for.

Good Luck.
I am quite satisfied with my lowley 53lber thank you....Should a 60 be in the cards ....so be it.

I dont blame him one bit for keeping those fish, a 60 is quite a fish...acually I was wrong, there were two guys on the boat so, each kept his own...that makes one fish for each guy...they each got a 60...congrats! They made one stop, at the tackle store and that was because they new the guys working there and wanted tro show them, neither of these fish is dectined for any tourneys at all...its a personal accomplishment. the other two fish shown above, those are destined for tourneys.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #53
eelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP
Eben:

I agree 100%. People forget that. It's not an unlimited resource. Yup, it's "legal" to keep those fish but is it responsible??

Well, whatever everyone's opinion is with regard to keeping or releasing 2 fish like that (especially the 2nd fish after one is already in the cooler), DJ Muller you sound like an ignorant idiot saying that noone who has caught a 60LB fish like those has the right to give an opinion.

Yes joe, but man.arent we stretching things a bit here?? we are talking about two fish?? not total anhilation?? there are set quotas now etc.... just so that cannot happen again.......the rules are nothing like they once were..

Also those fish once on the boat were just about dead. there could have been no release...
Old 09-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #54
inTHERAPY

No names mentioned, but the 59+ fish(es) I'm talking about just bumped my fish in the Cape Calssic ( $ 2000 thank you ), the monthly On the Water, and both fish in the Fisherman. If in fact we are not talking the same guy from RI then we can add 2 more large taken yesterday to this thread. I know I'm fishing a lot this week comin'.

rather be fishin'
Old 09-10-2006, 10:07 AM   #55
numbskull

Quote:
..acually I was wrong, there were two guys on the boat so, each kept his own...that makes one fish for each guy...they each got a 60...congrats! .
Agreed.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:09 AM   #56
eelman

I know there are differeing opinions on Frank Daignault however each of us feels about the guy aside...He did say something that I agree with 100% taken from hios forum on another website "Anyone claiming to realease a fish of 50lbs or better has to be looked upon with raised eyebrows" " To be proven and credible it must be weighed in and documented" "or else anyone can say anything"

Another words, if you cant prove it, it never happened...........
Old 09-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #57
DaveS
Bass Whacker

Quote:
.............60s go in the cooler...

So do 50's

Click image for larger version

Name:	51.5.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	17126

Nothing, I repeat NOTHING, beats a live bunker for slob sized bass.

Back here in NJ, I took two 50's in 11 months on live bunkers and didn't regret keeping them. It was the payoff for all the money spent, all the days I went to work with no sleep, all the arguments with da'wife, and all the years chasing them. Would I keep another one? Depends on the situation/condition of the fish.

Glad to see you guys finding the bunkers up there, enjoy it while it lasts, and lets hope they stay around a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P
August 29--a date that lives in striper infamy.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:12 AM   #58
eelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS
So do 50's

Attachment 17126

Nothing, I repeat NOTHING, beats a live bunker for slob sized bass.

Back here in NJ, I took two 50's in 11 months on live bunkers and didn't regret keeping them. It was the payoff for all the money spent, all the days I went to work with no sleep, all the arguments with da'wife, and all the years chasing them. Would I keep another one? Depends on the situation/condition of the fish.

Glad to see you guys finding the bunkers up there, enjoy it while it lasts, and lets hope they stay around a while.

Congrats , you have the right Idea and , Nice fish!!
Old 09-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #59
pmueller
Captain Pete

Having to decide wether to keep two sixties is a nice problem to have.
Congrats.
I hope I have that problem some day.
Like Spence, I'll never make a personel judgement on this. BTW, the small ones do taste better, I wish there was slot for 15" fish. Its perfectly legal. I'm sure he releases his share of fish.
Congrats again.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #60
Bedford Blues

Congrats to all the fisherman with the Legal 50's & 60's !!!
Great accomplishment on rod n reel.
These are Trophy fish !!! Congrats to all striper fisherman
because our efforts releasing fish etc ... have made it
possible for this to take place.

Luck is the product of Design
Closed Thread