Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 06-17-2017, 06:35 AM   #1
Guppy
User

Wader boots

Couple of the eyes popped out of my 4 yr old LL Been boots, I know they will replace but I'd say I got what I paid for.
Sooooo, looked their yesterday and didn't like what I see,,, looking for suggestions and I'll be traveling to Providence today.

How about the boots I see with cable laces and a knob u turn to tighten, any good?

TIA
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #2
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Couple of the eyes popped out of my 4 yr old LL Been boots, I know they will replace but I'd say I got what I paid for.
Sooooo, looked their yesterday and didn't like what I see,,, looking for suggestions and I'll be traveling to Providence today.

How about the boots I see with cable laces and a knob u turn to tighten, any good?

TIA
I have pair of Cabelas felt sole boots that come with replaceable studs. I have replaced the studs with WearBars and the boots are 5 years old. Don't remember what I paid but way less than $100.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #3
basswipe

I too have the Cabelas Ultralight felt sole boots.Can't beat them for the price of $80 plus lifetime guarantee.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #4
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
I too have the Cabelas Ultralight felt sole boots.Can't beat them for the price of $80 plus lifetime guarantee.
Ya, that's them. Couldn't remember the Ultalite part. Great boots and very durable.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #5
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

I really like the simms headwaters pro, a bit pricey but very high quality with Great ankle support ( which I require now ). I have both felt ( for saltwater ) and vibrams ( for fresh water ) paired with gripstud 1800's. Most important safety items I own.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:53 AM   #6
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post

TIA
I tried a pair with the cable laces and knob......a couple of trips and the sand jammed them up. Went back to lace ups but like yours most of the eyes have broke away from salt corrosion. I'll be looking to upgrade to something better pretty soon ...
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #7
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Ya, that's them. Couldn't remember the Ultalite part. Great boots and very durable.
They are very durable.I have two pairs the older being just felt soles which I've had since they first offered them many,many years ago.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #8
redlite

The cabelas ultralites r pieces of crap. And they r only warranteed for 12 uses. I have battled it out with cabelas over their warranty on those as they never last more than half a season and they say that if i use them more than 12 times and they fall apart then it is "beyond normal wear and tear". Bs
I have in the past had ll bean grey ghost boots which were awesome until they started makin them only with that stupid boa system. If u go anywhere near sand with them like rmarsh said u better have wire cutters in the truck to get em off. Now they dont make them anymore

I still bought a pair of cabelas ultralites last spring as they were on sale for $60. They changed the design a bit and a bunch of people had posted reviews that they cut into their ankles. I thought maybe they just had weird ankles. Nope. So painful to wear had take em off and walk back to truck in stockingfoot waders
I labored over better options. Wanted something light and i have pretty good ankles as a hockey player so ankle support was less of a concern. Fishin partner suggested simms but they are expensive. I could buy 3 pairs of cabelas boots, use em and and chuck em for less money
So i tried simms ocean teks as they are lower cut and designed for saltwater use They were so stiff and heavy. Felt like ski boots
Next went with simms vapor trail. Best damn pair of boots i have ever owned. A season and a half and still goin. light. Look and feel like hiking boots. Well worth the $170 price tag. As my old man says u get what u pay for
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:18 PM   #9
Guppy
User

I knew u guys would have the skinny on this,,, :-)
Maybe I shouldn't leave them in a 5 gal bucket of water to keep em soft , ya think!
:-)

I'll report back when I get to this, so much fishing and so little time
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:53 PM   #10
tysdad115

I've got enough extra grip studs and the install tool for you Gup. Let me know.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:46 AM   #11
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
The cabelas ultralites r pieces of crap. And they r only warranteed for 12 uses. I have battled it out with cabelas over their warranty on those as they never last more than half a season and they say that if i use them more than 12 times and they fall apart then it is "beyond normal wear and tear". Bs
I have in the past had ll bean grey ghost boots which were awesome until they started makin them only with that stupid boa system. If u go anywhere near sand with them like rmarsh said u better have wire cutters in the truck to get em off. Now they dont make them anymore

I still bought a pair of cabelas ultralites last spring as they were on sale for $60. They changed the design a bit and a bunch of people had posted reviews that they cut into their ankles. I thought maybe they just had weird ankles. Nope. So painful to wear had take em off and walk back to truck in stockingfoot waders
I labored over better options. Wanted something light and i have pretty good ankles as a hockey player so ankle support was less of a concern. Fishin partner suggested simms but they are expensive. I could buy 3 pairs of cabelas boots, use em and and chuck em for less money
So i tried simms ocean teks as they are lower cut and designed for saltwater use They were so stiff and heavy. Felt like ski boots
Next went with simms vapor trail. Best damn pair of boots i have ever owned. A season and a half and still goin. light. Look and feel like hiking boots. Well worth the $170 price tag. As my old man says u get what u pay for
May be true for you but remember Mikey, no one I know fishes as much or as hard as you do. I fished with you 12 or 13 years ago on the Block (remember) and you slept about 1 hour in 4 days!
The Cabela boots will hold up fine for the average surfcaster.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #12
Rob Rockcrawler

I g through a pair of cabelas ultralights abut every 2 years, sometimes shorter. They are not durable but cheap enough. The newest version is not as comfortable as the last. I keep an eye on the cabelas website and usually pay 49.99 when on sale.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote