Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating Ľ Main Forum Ľ StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits
iTrader: (0)
 
Got Stripers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: I live in a house, but my soul is at sea.
Posts: 5,462
Rod Finishing

Sold all my rod building supplies years back, since my new digs has no basement, no shop and no area I could even attempt to set things up. Now of course I have a couple rods in need of refinishing and one that needs a guide or two. Anyone on the south shore able to help, I'd rather pay a member here before I pay Red Top or some other shop.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 33,331
Blog Entries: 1
Probably a quarter of the people building rods today ; )

Gawd that fun having time, before kids

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits
iTrader: (0)
 
Got Stripers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: I live in a house, but my soul is at sea.
Posts: 5,462
I hate to do it, especially when I had all the supplies needed, but if I can't get someone close to help with a couple refinish jobs; I might just hit Mud Hole or someplace to get just the basics. I've got some really nice butt wraps on a couple I'd like to hit with some finish, but a lot of my custom wraps on rods have gone to my son. I'm fishing more commercially sold rods than custom at this point.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:20 PM   #4
MakoMike
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
MakoMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 5,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I hate to do it, especially when I had all the supplies needed, but if I can't get someone close to help with a couple refinish jobs; I might just hit Mud Hole or someplace to get just the basics. I've got some really nice butt wraps on a couple I'd like to hit with some finish, but a lot of my custom wraps on rods have gone to my son. I'm fishing more commercially sold rods than custom at this point.
I've got a finishing turner if you need to borrow it.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man
iTrader: (0)
 
piemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 9,032
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Sold all my rod building supplies years back, since my new digs has no basement, no shop and no area I could even attempt to set things up. Now of course I have a couple rods in need of refinishing and one that needs a guide or two. Anyone on the south shore able to help, I'd rather pay a member here before I pay Red Top or some other shop.
Chrisjoe13 does an awesome job on rods but he only build for himself. I have not seen him on here in a long time but I know he's still around. Might PM him.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:38 PM   #6
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,919
Youíre welcome to borrow my power wrapper and stuff, will handle up to 11í
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #7
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits
iTrader: (0)
 
Got Stripers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: I live in a house, but my soul is at sea.
Posts: 5,462
Ray thanks again for the loner, people on this site are the best!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits
iTrader: (0)
 
Got Stripers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: I live in a house, but my soul is at sea.
Posts: 5,462
Really happy to see one of my first butt wraps come back to life with a fresh finish, three rods down, three to go and again Ray can't thank you enough for the loaner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1645.jpg (91.2 KB, 31 views)
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:48 PM   #9
beamie
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
beamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Marshfield, MA
Posts: 1,561
Thatís a nice looking closed wrap

What did You use for brand finish. I use aftcote still lately.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:23 PM   #10
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits
iTrader: (0)
 
Got Stripers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: I live in a house, but my soul is at sea.
Posts: 5,462
I picked up a flex coat kit at Red Top, just enough stuff to refinish all the guides and butt wraps on both my remaining salt and fresh water rods. Need to grab some brushes and Iím very familiar with the flex coat from my past work.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:16 PM   #11
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Really happy to see one of my first butt wraps come back to life with a fresh finish, three rods down, three to go and again Ray can't thank you enough for the loaner.
Itís a good thing you didnít let me near those,,,, awesome wrap,
I do a meat stick wrap...
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:03 PM   #12
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs
iTrader: (0)
 
afterhours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: R.I.
Posts: 8,171
Nice work!

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM   #13
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits
iTrader: (0)
 
Got Stripers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: I live in a house, but my soul is at sea.
Posts: 5,462
These rods my son did get lucky enough to grab from me, some have survived and others I wish I hadn't given to him as he wasn't too careful at times. Back in the day I really enjoyed getting to the final result, but I don't think I have the patience or eyesight to get that detailed closed wrap done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buttwrap.jpg (9.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg buttwrap2.jpg (9.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg buttwrap3.jpg (10.5 KB, 4 views)
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM   #14
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits
iTrader: (0)
 
Got Stripers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: I live in a house, but my soul is at sea.
Posts: 5,462
Couple more for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buttwrap4.jpg (10.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg buttwrap5.jpg (8.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg buttwrap6.jpg (10.8 KB, 3 views)
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM   #15
redlite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kingston, Ma
Posts: 2,043
They look good. This winter I need to find someone to re clear coat my original st croix Ben doerr surf rod which was my first semi custom rod once I moved on from ugly sticks back in 1996. Caught and sold a lot of big fish with it back in the cape days. The clear coat has all flaked off so it is bare graphite. My goal is to get it recoated so it can become my son's first rod before he inherits my arsenal of beloved 1205's
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM   #16
MakoMike
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
MakoMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 5,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
They look good. This winter I need to find someone to re clear coat my original st croix Ben doerr surf rod which was my first semi custom rod once I moved on from ugly sticks back in 1996. Caught and sold a lot of big fish with it back in the cape days. The clear coat has all flaked off so it is bare graphite. My goal is to get it recoated so it can become my son's first rod before he inherits my arsenal of beloved 1205's
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
You could do it all in one swoop if you get the right coating. I don't like flex coat, it yellows as it ages.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com