Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 12-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
JohnnySaxatilis

Cutting Down Rods

So I'm thinkin of cutting down my cts S7 3-6 11' rod. Its just a little too big for most situations where Im throwing stuff at the ditch. I was thinking of taking off 6'' to 1'...The lower half of the blank is fiberglass and has little to no bend on it at all. Does anyone know if this will strengthen or weaken the performance? Im thinking it will have almost no effect becuase basically the flex happens in the upper section of the blank but I wanted to get some feedback from ppl who have cut rods down...

something clever and related to fishing
JohnnySaxatilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
stripermaineiac

Food for thought.If you cut it then your also talking rebuilding it.Blanks are designed to meet a specific purpose so now your also going to have to hope what you did doesn't hurt the skrim of material ie how it all works together.In the long run it may be better to just get the blank that's designed for what you want.You can sell the rod and probably get your material cost back to pay for the new rod.
Over the yrs I've experimented with cutting rods and have found that most times people aren't happy with what they end up and then just either build or have built a new rod.As far as cutting well there's always something you don't expect. I'd talk with the manufacturer or liscenced distributor.As far as custom builders advice well none of use do enough cutting to be able to tell you whats gonna happen plus there's so many blanks that do what anglers want why risk destroying a good stick.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
spence

Regret.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Saltheart

Cutting from the butt may mean you have to move the reel seat. If you are cutting it because the butt to reel seat distance is too long then it may be OK but make several smaller cuts and try it after each cut rather than one big cut which means all or nothing afterwards. If you are cutting it because overall its too long then you will have to move seat and guides etc and then its not worth it. Many builders cut before building. Cutting after the build is risky business.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
JohnnySaxatilis

Thanks for the input guys. The original reason for having someone mess with it was becuase the reel seat was makin cracking and crunching noises during a cast. Which I assume was just loose epoxy underneath there. And the reel seat sucks its a smaller fuji one that constantly comes loose and doesnt fit the reel foot flush at all, so I wanted to replace...

I figured while I was going to get this done, I might toy with the idea of takin a few inches off the butt becuase as we know 11' is difficult to wield sometimes at the canal... But after hearing from everyone its probably a better idea just to get another stick. Thanks again ppls

something clever and related to fishing
JohnnySaxatilis is offline   Reply With Quote