Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #31
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 20,186
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #32
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 20,186
i believe he received $100,000 from the tobacco industry..
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #33
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits
iTrader: (0)
 
Got Stripers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: I live in a house, but my soul is at sea.
Posts: 4,374
Thank God pot is legal, I think I'm going to need a good buzz on in order to survive the next 4 years.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #34
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 20,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Thank God pot is legal, I think I'm going to need a good buzz on in order to survive the next 4 years.

Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:11 PM   #35
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 20,186
i wonder if Mittens Romney will be secretary of state? Im cool with that if it happens.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #36
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,398
I don't think Trump will have Guiliani in his admin. bc of how much $ he made making speaches after being mayor. I know how the right complained so much about the Clinton's and the $ they made.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:00 PM   #37
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I don't think Trump will have Guiliani in his admin. bc of how much $ he made making speaches after being mayor. I know how the right complained so much about the Clinton's and the $ they made.
I don't think most conservatives have any quarrel with what she did. If the free market wants to pay her for speaking, that's how a free market is supposed to work.

What we object to, is the hypocrisy involved when Hillary complains about a rigged system that favors insiders (yet takes full advantage of it herself), and when she complains about Wall Street excess (she made a mint speaking to Goldman Sachs). And when she refuses to reveal the transcripts of those speeches, but bashes Trump abut not revealing taxes.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:11 PM   #38
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I don't think most conservatives have any quarrel with what she did. If the free market wants to pay her for speaking, that's how a free market is supposed to work.

What we object to, is the hypocrisy involved when Hillary complains about a rigged system that favors insiders (yet takes full advantage of it herself), and when she complains about Wall Street excess (she made a mint speaking to Goldman Sachs). And when she refuses to reveal the transcripts of those speeches, but bashes Trump abut not revealing taxes.
We heard it constantly here that she (a private citizen) should release the transcripts of the Goldman Sach speaches. So anyone in the Trump's WH (since they are public officials) I assume will have to release all the transcipts of the speaches they made prior to become appointed/elected. If not that is hypocrisy. I assume everyone will release their college transcripts also since people on the right where screaming for Obamas - right?

Would you release your companies reserve factors?

We ain't ever seeing his taxes.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #39
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
We heard it constantly here that she (a private citizen) should release the transcripts of the Goldman Sach speaches. So anyone in the Trump's WH (since they are public officials) I assume will have to release all the transcipts of the speaches they made prior to become appointed/elected. If not that is hypocrisy. I assume everyone will release their college transcripts also since people on the right where screaming for Obamas - right?

Would you release your companies reserve factors?

We ain't ever seeing his taxes.
"We heard it constantly here that she (a private citizen) should release the transcripts of the Goldman Sach speaches. "

So what? Is that an unreasonable thing to request?

"So anyone in the Trump's WH (since they are public officials) I assume will have to release all the transcipts of the speaches they made prior to become appointed/elected. "

Fair enough.

"I assume everyone will release their college transcripts also since people on the right where screaming for Obamas - right?"

Did Trump and Hillary release transcripts? Most candidates do. Obama, as you say, did not. I wonder why?

"Would you release your companies reserve factors?"

Not remotely the same thing. Though you always impress me with how much you know about insurance. But if I gave a speech saying that companies shouldn't have to hold adequate reserves, that would be fair game to make public.

"We ain't ever seeing his taxes."

Maybe not, you may well be right.

I wanted to see the transcript of her speeches, only after she was whining about a rigged system, and whining about how evil business is. Because those stances seem totally at odds with taking 250k for a 30 minute speech from Goldman Sachs.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #40
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,398
I do think it is unreasonable for a private citizen to have to release work they were paid to do. Just as you shouldn't be expected to release the work you do for your employer, Hillary (or anyone in any admin) should have to release that same work (unless it was illegal in some way, etc.).

I can't remember past Pres. releasing transcripts and don't believe that was common like releasing your taxes is.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:27 AM   #41
Justfishin'
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Not close enough to the water!
Posts: 398
Eh, back to predictions.....
Gas will be $4+ sooner than later at the pump because the incoming administration will likely pee off the Muslim suppliers of oil and they will shut down the supply....
Then the domestic oil fields and coal mines will become open game with no heed to the environment(no EPA!) and the ecological disasters will mount and be dismissed by the administration (Global warming isn't real)
Despite it being a 'national emergency', the gov't will probably privatize the drilling and mining, possibly to foreign interests who submit the lowest bid. The high paid jobs in the industry will go to them, with token Americans doing the labor
But, I don't think we'll hear about any of this because I think that the administration will do what Bushv2 did and seal all presidential records in the interest of National Security.

And the atmosphere will get hotter, the oceans will rise and the ozone will be lost......

Last edited by Justfishin'; 11-21-2016 at 11:15 AM..
Justfishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:14 AM   #42
ecduzitgood
time to go
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin' View Post
Eh, back to predictions.....
Gas will be $4+ sooner than later at the pump because the incoming administration will likely pee off the Muslim suppliers of oil and they will shut down the supply....
Then the domestic oil fields and coal mines will become open game with no heed to the environment(no EPA!) and the ecological disasters will mount and be dismissed by the administration (Global warming isn't real)
Despite it being a 'national emergency', the gov't will probably privatize the drilling and mining, possibly to foreign interests who submit the lowest bid. The high paid jobs in the industry will go to them, with token Americans doing the labor
But, I don't think we'll hear about ant of this because I thing that the administration will do what Bushv2 did and seal all presidential records in the interest of National Security.

And the atmosphere will get hotter, the oceans will rise and the ozone will be lost......
Time will tell but this guy has figured out how to use salt water as a fuel.

https://youtu.be/F0vycQ06a04
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #43
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 20,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
Time will tell but this guy has figured out how to use salt water as a fuel.

https://youtu.be/F0vycQ06a04
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
That would be so awesome if it was brought to the mainstream. But... As long as there are millions of barrels of oil under the ground, waiting to be extracted and sold, it will never happen.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:12 PM   #44
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 2,454
How Trump deals with messages he doesn't like

You know, we have a guest in the audience this evening. Vice President-elect Pence, I see you walking out but I hope you hear just a few more moments. There's nothing to boo, ladies and gentlemen. There's nothing to boo. We're all here sharing a story of love. We have a message for you, sir. We hope that you will hear us out.

And I encourage everybody to pull out your phones and tweet and post, because this message needs to be spread far and wide, OK?

Vice President-elect Pence, we welcome you and we truly thank you for joining us here at Hamilton: An American Musical. We really do.

We sir, we, are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us — our planet, our children, our parents — or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir. But we truly hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us. All of us.

Again, we truly thank you for sharing this show, this wonderful American story told by a diverse group of men and women of different colors, creeds, and orientations.

Trumps comments show his Authoritarian personality is shinning bright

The cast and producers of Hamilton, which I hear is highly overrated, should immediately apologize to Mike Pence for their terrible behavior

Our wonderful future V.P. Mike Pence was harassed last night at the theater by the cast of Hamilton, cameras blazing.This should not happen!

The Theater must always be a safe and special place.The cast of Hamilton was very rude last night to a very good man, Mike Pence. Apologize!
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #45
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,398
I don't think it's appropriate for the cast to say that at the end of the show to a person visiting the show. That said,as i said earlier I think Trump is going to end up getting in trouble because he can't control his emotions.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #46
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,725
reminds me of when Obama attacked the Cambridge police dept for "acting stupidly"

I don't mind that they addressed him, they saw an opportunity and took advantage at an appropriate time....I hate the idea that elected officials get some special treatment...the should be more approachable and accountable, particularly if "the people" are addressing them in a respectful manner which was the case...would have been great if Pence offered to speak with them all after the show to hear and try to address their concerns

maybe Trump will invite them all to the White House for a beer
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #47
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,398
Wait till president Trump has some Democratic Governors sticking their finger in his face. He would go ballistic. However I doubt the Democratic Governors would do that.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:51 PM   #48
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Wait till president Trump has some Democratic Governors sticking their finger in his face. .
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
getting tougher and tougher to find a democrat governor
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:08 PM   #49
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 20,186
hey one of my predictions is about to come true.. Trump wants Mittens to be secretary of state.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:17 PM   #50
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
hey one of my predictions is about to come true.. Trump wants Mittens to be secretary of state.
now you sound like trump
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #51
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 20,186
believe me scott, if i wanted to sound like trump it would be tremendous. Believe me, it would be huge. We are going to drain that boil and make america sit again !
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:21 PM   #52
basswipe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
basswipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: RI
Posts: 5,621
I predict a predicament.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:32 PM   #53
Raven
........
iTrader: (0)
 
Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 22,756
Blog Entries: 1
Now he's considering Sessions for
a post in his administration?
that's Like resurrecting Asslinger
from the dead.

it'll get real NASTY
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #54
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
i believe he received $100,000 from the tobacco industry..
He was paid $100,000 for saying ". . . news flash: smoking is not good for you. If you are reading this article through the blue haze of cigarette smoke you should quit."?? Really? Sounds like a thoroughly wasted $100,00.

On the other hand, if Pence was paid a hundred grand to make smoking sound good, then tells us that it is not good for us and we should quit, maybe he is not trustworthy.

Did you actually read what you posted?
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:39 PM   #55
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 20,186
I read it. the point is that he is saying that smoking is non fatal.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #56
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I read it. the point is that he is saying that smoking is non fatal.
If two out of three smokers do not die from smoking related causes, apparently, it is not fatal for most smokers. Who knows why? Maybe genetics, maybe those two out of three were moderate smokers, maybe they smoked the right kind tobacco if there is such a thing.

Is eating hamburgers fatal. If you are genetically prone to die from eating them, or if you eat too many, or if you eat the wrongly prepared hamburgers, they might kill you, eventually, or sooner rather than later. Does that mean that hamburgers are fatal?

Too much of anything can be fatal. So everything must be fatal. Since none of us lives forever, life must be fatal.

None of that, not even if cigarette smoking is fatal or not, was the point of my response and my question. I responded to your afterthought that you believe that the tobacco industry gave him $100,000. Implying, I guess, the industry bribed him. Considering everything Pence said in the bit you posted, it would seem that the $100,000 given to him . . . if it really was . . . was money ill spent and a failed bribe. He said it was bad for you and you should quit. Does that sound like he was earning that hundred grand?
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #57
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: newpawht
Posts: 20,186
Sometimes I think you are autistic man....

Here we have Trump saying that he is going to drain the swamp of corruption in DC and boot out all of the corrupt money taking influences when he is elected, but here is his tobacco puppet vice president pic. Why did he make this announcement in the first place?? Because the tobacco industry gave him a #^&#^&#^&#^& load of money to say it.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:08 AM   #58
scottw
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
.

Here we have Trump saying that he is going to drain the swamp of corruption in DC and boot out all of the corrupt money taking influences when he is elected, but here is his tobacco puppet vice president pic. Why did he make this announcement in the first place?? Because the tobacco industry gave him a #^&#^&#^&#^& load of money to say it.
this is fake news
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #59
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
this is fake news
Naw, it's for real that the tobacco industry bribed Pence to say that smoking is bad for you and that you should quit smoking.
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:21 PM   #60
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Sometimes I think you are autistic man....

Here we have Trump saying that he is going to drain the swamp of corruption in DC and boot out all of the corrupt money taking influences when he is elected, but here is his tobacco puppet vice president pic. Why did he make this announcement in the first place?? Because the tobacco industry gave him a #^&#^&#^&#^& load of money to say it.
Right. Because the tobacco industry gave him a #^&#^&#^&#^& load of money to say smoking is bad for you and you should quit smoking. I admit that I don't know what actually prompted him to say those words. You're, apparently, certain of why he did. I did not comment on whether Pence was bribed or not. I tried to point out that your post was not good evidence that he was bribed to say those words. It even contradicted the idea that Pence was pimping for the tobacco industry. It seemed to me that what Pence was getting at was what his last paragraph stated--that a government big enough to go after smokers is big enough to go after you. If he was influenced by $100,000 to say that, I doubt that the $100,000 intended that he also say that smoking is bad for you and that you should quit smoking.

Was accepting donations from tobacco, or pharma, or trial lawyers, or industry, or unions, or banking and finance, or from wealthy individuals, or from little folks wrong and corruptly influential? Probably. Arguments could be made either way. The influence can cut both ways--using government to beat competitors or get financial preferences; or to fend off government control or government favoring the opposing competitors who also "donate."

Government power can also be corrupt. Fighting against that corruption takes money. And it takes a lot of money to get elected in order to fight government corruption. There's no way to get around that. Not in a free society. Pence's announcement was made back when he was running for Congress. How he thinks about the "swamp" now or then, I don't know. Trump doesn't need the huge donations to get elected. Most everyone else, unfortunately, does. Perhaps you're right. Maybe freedom is overrated. It would cost a lot less to eliminate the democratic process and to be run by some kind of dictatorship.

Perhaps I am somehow autistic because I keep pointing out that saying that smoking is bad for you and that you should quit smoking is not advantageous to the tobacco industry. And that paying someone to say that would be a stupid waste of the tobacco industry's money. If saying that a government big enough to go after smokers is big enough to go after you benefits the tobacco industry, it also benefits the rest of society including the marijuana industry.

How big do you want the government to be?

Last edited by detbuch; 11-21-2016 at 12:28 PM..
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright 2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com