Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 08-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
jlnel

airbrushing equipment help

Starting to gather a few more items in my new hobby. My next item I’m looking for would be an airbrush setup. What should I look for as far as brush/gun, compressor, kind of paints etc...? Price is a factor and may piece it together from fleabay if I can. Thanks for any tips; this will be very new to me!!
jlnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:29 AM   #2
Muskyslayer96

For just starting out i bought a dual action airbrush for ~ $15, and a 3 gallon compressor for $59 at HF. You can definitely get the basics down this way and if you like it move up. Make sure you learn how to keep the airbrush clean, and also have between one and two moisture traps depending on the lenghth of hose you use.
Createx paints are cheap and can be purchased at all the hobbie & craft stores. Hint: shake well and cover cap opening with a piece of nylon to filter clogging chunks. It is a painless way to eliminate a ton of beginner headaches.

Best of luck, I'm sure a number of other with a lot more experience than me will chime in.

Welcome to the madness

MS
Muskyslayer96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskyslayer96 View Post
For just starting out i bought a dual action airbrush for ~ $15, and a 3 gallon compressor for $59 at HF. You can definitely get the basics down this way and if you like it move up. Make sure you learn how to keep the airbrush clean, and also have between one and two moisture traps depending on the lenghth of hose you use.
Createx paints are cheap and can be purchased at all the hobbie & craft stores. Hint: shake well and cover cap opening with a piece of nylon to filter clogging chunks. It is a painless way to eliminate a ton of beginner headaches.

Best of luck, I'm sure a number of other with a lot more experience than me will chime in.

Welcome to the madness

MS
I'd go for the $59.00 compressor, but I wouyld buy a brush at Michael's using thier 50 % off add for one item that comes with the Saturday or Sunday paper. The coupon will allow you to get a slightly better air brush for a lot less money. Go to dixie art supply and order you createx paints. What cost 4.49 in the store at Michael's for a 2oz. bottle cost about half on-line (but Michaels also has coupons for LARGE % OFF AN ENTIRE PURCHASE) But if you order enough initially it will off-set the shipping cost. Go for your basix transparent colors and a full-set of irediscent colors with the first order. Good luck John

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
jlnel

so this is the one ya think is good Pancake Air Compressor - 3 Gallon, 100 PSI

also i see several brands of brushes, iwata, paasche, badger and then sinle or double action??

I know i like single action for my 45's but not sure about the airbrushes?/

Last edited by jlnel; 08-11-2011 at 12:29 PM..
Old 08-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
Muskyslayer96

Jlnel,

That will do the trick for an airbrush, I think for an extra $10 you can get a 2 year full return for new one. Not bad in my book.

I agree if you can afford it a better airbrush will serve you better in the long run. If $ is a big issue, you can get a cheap one and get the hang of it.

Best of luck

MS
Muskyslayer96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
jlnel

Just got(auction won) three Paasche H and two Badger 200, at least that what I think there are..65 bucks, I think god to play with, can upgrade like above said if I like it and get more money..now compressor and extras...
Old 08-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
sorethumb

I love my Iwata I tried the badger at first IDK if it was me aor the airbrush but I hated it no issues with the Iwata Eclipse just keep them clean.

Fish Hard,Tight Lines!!!
sorethumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Mojo7
Mojo

I have a Michaels 50% off coupon but the only brand air brush I could find there was Badger. Am I better off spending the money now for a better one or is Badger a decent air brush.
Thanks, Mark
Mojo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

AC Moores caries airbrushes too...and they will honor the Michaels coupons there.....and Visa Versa, Michaels will honor AC Moores

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
sorethumb

Some guys love them I am not one of them I bought it with a 50% off had it for about a month or so and purchased the Iwata I like the gravity feed vs. bottle none are hassle free they need to be kept clean all the time buy a spare nozzle and needle they are good to have around especially if they get clogged & need to soak you can use the spare while the other soaks also a good nylon airbrush cleaning set is good to have.

Fish Hard,Tight Lines!!!
sorethumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
shark lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo7 View Post
I have a Michaels 50% off coupon but the only brand air brush I could find there was Badger. Am I better off spending the money now for a better one or is Badger a decent air brush.
Thanks, Mark
mark go for the pacche , much better not thaat much more money ,,, pm me ill tell ya were to get in our area
shark lobster is offline   Reply With Quote