Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 08-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
ecduzitgood
time to go

Green owners manuals..I'm seeing red!

I got a new phone and it came with an owners manual showing only the basics (where keys are located). To get any useful information about how to use the phone you have to view their GREEN manual on line. What a pain in the arse! I would like to have the owners manual so I don't have to go on line when I have a question about the phone.
I go on line and see I can print individual pages or the whole manual 233 pages. How much would it cost to include a manual? What about people who don't have access to the internet?
This green excuse is starting to really p-me off, the only thing green I see is it saves them money eliminating owners manuals. Save trees...please, how much more paper will I use printing the manual at home.
Trees are a renewable resource and the owners manuals are most likely printed on recycled paper, that would be green. I have to use electricity to view the manual on line which isn't green either...enough of the hiding behind being green BS!
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
UserRemoved
GrayBeards

It's o'bamas fault
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
UserRemoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
FishermanTim

and Al Gore's too!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Maybe if all a phone did was just make phone calls....you wouldn't need a 233 page manual

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Maybe if all a phone did was just make phone calls....you wouldn't need a 233 page manual
You are correct, but the thing that made me change is Verizon charged the same amount per month for 2 phones that only made and received calls. The signal has always been lousy at home (sometimes no signal) and there are to many areas that I would loose the signal. One of the areas is five corners in Easton, including Bay road (maybe 2 miles from my home); where I can see a cell phone tower at the intersection of 106 & 123 (which coincidentally sits on the property of a brother of a town official) and have no service.They also never brought fios to our neighborhood...enough is enough; they can supply someone else with mediocre over priced service.
I used to know someone who had one on his property and he refereed to it as a money tree because at the time the owner of the property got $2500 per month from the cell phone tower owner (it is probably more now this was during the 90's)
I get the same signal at home with Virgin mobile but we now have everything for $35/mo. per phone and no contract.

Sometimes I think about what impact this "be green" mentality has. For instance what about the people who used to be employed providing these manuals, the paper for these manuals etc.
We recycle at home which requires another fossil fuel burning truck to come rattling through the neighborhood early morning and pickup from the few houses that do recycle. Why? to save space in a land fill. Maybe these folks who come up with this save the landfill space crap should take a drive and see how much land is untouched in this country. How many times have you driven in areas where your not sure when you'll see another exit so you stop and fuel up to make sure you don't run out?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Not picking on you.....its more of an observation on technology as a whole.

if it were just a phone all you need is a tri-fold explaining the features....but now they shove so much crap on a phone that you need a 233 page manual to operate it.

I was excited when I got a 50" TV at home....now people get excited because they can watch a movie on a 3" phone

Just don't get it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Not picking on you.....its more of an observation on technology as a whole.

if it were just a phone all you need is a tri-fold explaining the features....but now they shove so much crap on a phone that you need a 233 page manual to operate it.

I was excited when I got a 50" TV at home....now people get excited because they can watch a movie on a 3" phone

Just don't get it.
I didn't take it that way, I'm sorry if you felt I was defending myself, I'm not the best at converting my thoughts into words and typing them for all to see. I just wanted to explain why I have decided on getting into this modern new fangled technology which I have resisted for so long. Part of me thinks it was better before cell phones came along, when people used to interact with others, even strangers. Now you see people sitting together at a restaurant while some are talking to people at the table while others (especially kids) are in their own little world using their phone to text, surf the web, play games etc.
I have a feeling that businesses will eventually limit the use of technologies within their buildings so things like my bar code app.(Redlaser- which tells me who has the best price for the item I scan) will be obsolete.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
You could print only those pages in ENGLISH! Maybe only 30-40 pages. Print to the adobe printer and save as a PDF file, you have locally and don't have to go online to access.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
You could print only those pages in ENGLISH! Maybe only 30-40 pages. Print to the adobe printer and save as a PDF file, you have locally and don't have to go online to access.
This is true. but still a pain in the arse and requires me to use electricity and time. If I had a book I could refrence it anywhere any time without any further cost to me.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Matt D

Which phone did you get? Triumph, Optimus V, or Intercept?

Doesn't really matter, they're all Android based phones. It's more like learning a new operating system than a new phone. Once you become familiar with Android you don't really need a manual for the next phone. But if it's your first, there's a lot to learn.
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #11
ecduzitgood
time to go

I got the Intercept, it is tough to figure out what the little notifications are at the top left of the screen(one looked like the android market symbol???) I figured out new email (I turned that off) and missed call, the others I will have to get on the computer if I'm home to figure out (the book would be quicker/easier). I've got to figure out how to remove apps. if I don't want them or want to change them, I don't like having to keep unlocking it every time the screen shuts off and would prefer the option of turning the lock on by pushing one button (don't think that can happen) or leave it unlocked sometimes (at home). I am sure there other things that will come up maybe with the camera for instance or features I don't yet realize the phone has, it would be nice to have a manual I could take into the reading room and flip through rather than wait and look on the computer when I get a chance.
My gripe is they claim it's to be "green" and I think it's because they are being cheap (cutting cost) more than "green" because in the end it is not "green" for the consumer who has to use electricity to get the information.
What do the people who don't have computers do? I suppose they could use there phone and the web, but that still requires electricity=not so "green".

I also wish there was spell check for texting.

Last edited by ecduzitgood; 08-24-2011 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: Just for ODMike ;)
Old 08-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #12
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
Damn...they are all English pages. I thought I turned off the email notification....but it's back
Old 08-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #13
Rockfish9

Never had these problems wit rotary phones...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote