Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-14-2009, 05:17 AM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

If ya liked the footbridge YA'LL LOVE THIS

$100 Million Spent To Plan Unbuilt Rail Line - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston

$100 million and still planning.

"The projected cost has soared from $136 million in 1996 to almost $2 billion today."

"Some officials blame the enormous cost of the Big Dig. Others blame everything from community opposition to poor planning, but the Patrick administration is charging full steam ahead, even though they admitted they're not certain how the rail will be funded."

"Even if the Patrick administration gets the funding, they have to get past Kyla Bennett, an environmentalist and critic of the project. She said the train route goes right through an environmentally sensitive area and would do enormous damage. She promised her powerful lobby would litigate if necessary."We will end up in court with the state of Massachusetts if they try to get this built, absolutely," said Bennett."

THAT court case ALONE outta be worth a few billion
Old 11-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
JohnnyD

No one wants those NB or Riv people to have easy access up here.

But seriously, my favorite line in that store comes from our Lt. Gov:
Quote:
"We think it's an investment that will pay dividends significantly over time based upon what we've seen from investing in rail in other communities," said Lt. Gov. Tim Murray.
Yeah, pay dividends significantly. A rail line that would be bankrupt multiple times over if it weren't for the state's injection of money. Living in Mansfield, I'm sure the town benefits from the station, but there is a whole lot of garbage that has moved in around it as well. The neighborhoods east of the station have the highest concentrations of crime and a handful of drug trafficking cases have been linked to use of the trains as well.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
striperman36
Old Guy

this heavy rail idea is stupid.
Although we thought the same thing about the lakeville line and Franklin before that.
Very few people in these communities work in BOS.

I go the opposite way down 24 almost every day the traffic is heavy NB.
When I go to my Needham office rather than my Newport post it takes me longer to get to Needham, 20 mi than Newport, 47 mi.
Thursday I had to go to Brockton from Needham at 1700 took me an hour to get there, 12 mi.

The infrastructure is overtaxed. it is going to take more years to expand 128.

If we had feeder lines from the beltways 495-128 or some type of organized ride share the money would be better spent.

Cadillac is just pandering to the unions for the jobs for construction not the final solution
Old 11-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
No one wants those NB or Riv people to have easy access up here.
It doesn't work that way with trains. The poor people dont hop on them to travel north to get work for the most part. But the gentrification of neighborhoods along the way and at the end of the line happens. More affluent people heading south buying up property, fixing it up, and forcing out the less affluent people that have lived in and around NB or FR, for years and years.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 11-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
It doesn't work that way with trains. The poor people dont hop on them to travel north to get work for the most part. But the gentrification of neighborhoods along the way and at the end of the line happens. More affluent people heading south buying up property, fixing it up, and forcing out the less affluent people that have lived in and around NB or FR, for years and years.
I know, I was kidding. I don't know much in detail about the NB or FR areas aside from what I've seen while either passing through or dropping off reels at Bucko's. Outside of that, my detailed knowledge of the area is second hand from people that used to live down there and left.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I know, I was kidding. I don't know much in detail about the NB or FR areas aside from what I've seen while either passing through or dropping off reels at Bucko's. Outside of that, my detailed knowledge of the area is second hand from people that used to live down there and left.
My wife grew up 3 blks from Bucko's. We can talk if you want. NB is worse.