Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Obama restates his goals

Barrack, the best friend to 65% of the electorate said yesterday that he will not be able to fulfill his goals at the pace he would like or promised. Aint that the same thing every other person elected presdient has siad for the last, oh I don't know, 100 years. At least he didn't wait until after January 20th.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 01-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
spence

Why do you find that so funny?

-spence
Old 01-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Why do you find that so funny?

-spence
Hey he doesn't care what happens to the country, he just cares that he's right or wrong.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 01-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I am tired of him already! Lets plunge the countries deficit 1 trillion dollars further in the hole!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

My point is/was that it doesn't make any difference who sits in that chair, for 90% of the stuff they oversee it is just more of the same. Obama is a BS artist just like the rest of them who just happens to be a better orator, who uses an uplifting tone in his voice, and had a Massachusetts guy as a speech writer.

You could take one generic body and just change heads every four or eight years unless of course a woman gets elected to the office of president. Then we could have some fun picking out a generic body for a woman president.

And your wrong I care very deeply.

Somes days Likwid I think you take this all too seriously.

You watch just how conservative Barrack OBama becomes. He got elected pandering to your end of the spectrum. He'll get re-elected as a centrist.

Last edited by Swimmer; 01-11-2009 at 11:00 PM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 01-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
You watch just how conservative Barrack OBama becomes. He got elected pandering to your end of the spectrum. He'll get re-elected as a centrist.
Becomes? He campaigned pretty much as a centrist.

But isn't it reasonable for Obama to adjust expectations based on the circumstances? The economic projections are a lot worse now than they were even a few months ago...

-spence
Old 01-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
The term is "figured head"!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 01-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Becomes? He campaigned pretty much as a centrist.

But isn't it reasonable for Obama to adjust expectations based on the circumstances? The economic projections are a lot worse now than they were even a few months ago...

-spence
Yes it is reasonable, certainly. But I don't think things are any worse. The street sweeper is just picking up the financially strapped straglers who didn't make 1st team (AIG, and so on).
I think the talking heads are making it seem worse so we more readily jump into the abyss.

In the end I am kind of glad OBama was elected. We need some youthfulness leading us that we haven't had, at least since Clinton, just to put a more optomistic slant on our nations problems. McCain meant well but is/was kind of stodgy at best. As difficult as the choice for president was for some people, the optimism that OBama exudes even when he is chatting up the economy is reassuring, in that he will seek answers that will serve the entire counry.

Last edited by Swimmer; 01-11-2009 at 06:45 PM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 01-11-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Yes it is reasonable, certainly. But I don't think things are any worse. The street sweeper is just picking up the financially strapped straglers who didn't make 1st team (AIG, and so on).
I think the talking heads are making it seem worse so we more readily jump into the abyss.
A month or so ago there was talk of things improving the second half of '09 and now they're talking into 2010.

Granted, it's all a crap shoot and nobody knows what's going to really happen, but that's a big difference if you're trying to create policy to help people.

-spence
Old 01-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #10
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
A month or so ago there was talk of things improving the second half of '09 and now they're talking into 2010.

Granted, it's all a crap shoot and nobody knows what's going to really happen, but that's a big difference if you're trying to create policy to help people.

-spence
I've been telling you guys for months its only going to get worse. Its still not even NEAR the bottom. Hang on............

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
striperman36
Old Guy

I unfortunately have to agree with Jimmy here, we ain't at the bottom yet. We just have a pre-ingaguration uplift. the subsequent 100 days will show the continued downward direction.
This is a unprecedented contraction in the global economy
Old 01-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #12
PaulS

I agree its going to get much worse. Look at the # who became unemployed last month. I wonder what people would be doing w/o unemployment and SS?
Old 01-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
Joe

Here's some positive notes with respect to other recent predictions:
The Electoral College did cast their votes as designated last week - no corruption this time.
It looks like Obama's public service initiative is USA Service, not the draft. There was some talk that his public service plan was going to be compulsory military service.
So far, no talk of gun confiscation.
The plan to build Cape Cod concentration camps to house dissenters still appears to be a ruse.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #14
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Here's some positive notes with respect to other recent predictions:
The Electoral College did cast their votes as designated last week - no corruption this time.
It looks like Obama's public service initiative is USA Service, not the draft. There was some talk that his public service plan was going to be compulsory military service.
So far, no talk of gun confiscation.
The plan to build Cape Cod concentration camps to house dissenters still appears to be a ruse.
where the heck did you read those rumors?? National enquirer??
Old 01-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #15
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
where the heck did you read those rumors?? National enquirer??
Dont laugh, they're the ones that broke the story on Edwards messing around on his wife.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all